Snedie's Loop / Mayhem's Aurora Time Trial

Associate
This thread will be updated weekly once my loop is finished and running with Mayhem's Aurora Tharsis Red fluid. I will report on system temps for dual 5970's, as well as any signs of blockages, residue build-ups as well as how long the particulate effect lasts for. You can expect the updates to be posted on a Sunday given it's pretty much the only day I get free, I'll bump the thread once the update(s) are made.

I will provide pictures, and if I can light this room well enough some video footage. You can also find the same info posted here under this thread at the Mayhem's forum via this link:
Code:
[URL="http://www.mayhems.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10"]http://www.mayhems.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10[/URL]

Testing Method:

- All clocks at factory settings: GPU 750 Mem 1000
- 3x runs of Unigine Heaven benchmark
- 5 minute "cool off" period at the end
- Pump Voltage: 12v
- All fans (x6) at max speed on the fan controller

Unigine Heaven Settings:
UnigineHeavenSettings.png

You will be able to find all of the photographs I have taken in the following photobucket public directories:
Aurora 1
Aurora 2

Video's can be found under my YouTube channel (ignore the handle, I made this when I was 16 :D) here, along with a rather good video showing how to make a simple Frappachino :). Subscribe to get the latest video's, I'll aim to do one every week:
Snedie's Youtube Channel

You can also contact me directly via email and msn at the following:

PLEASE NOTE: ALL OF THESE TESTS ARE DONE OF MY OWN ACCORD, WITH NO INVOLVEMENT FROM MAYHEM'S IN ANY FASHION. OTHER THAN DIRECT CONVERSATION WITH MICHAEL WOOD (mlwood37) TO GET ADVICE ON CERTAIN ASPECTS OF THE COOLANT. IN NO WAY AM I SPONSORED BY ANY THIRD PARTY TO CONDUCT THIS TRIAL AND/OR POST ANY PERTINENT INFORMATION.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Stock Cooling:

Results after 3 passes on Unigine Heaven Benchmark:
GPU1
StockCooling-5970-HeavenRun-GPU1.jpg

GPU2
StockCooling-5970-HeavenRun-GPU2.jpg

GPU3
StockCooling-5970-HeavenRun-GPU3.jpg

GPU4
StockCooling-5970-HeavenRun-GPU4.jpg

As you can see, the VDDC phases are hitting 90c with no problems, and the heaven bench isn't amazingly stressful either.
Heaven Results for those who are interested (Dual Radeon 5970, Dell 27" 2560*1440)
Code:
FPS:	
Scores:	
Min FPS:	
Max FPS:	

Reserved.

Week 1:
These results have been delayed for various reasons that have prevented me from either running benchmarks, or gaining access to the forum to post results, and unfortunately no longer exist for me to post. In my personal opinion the coolant has not changed since the day it had been put into my loop.

Week 2:
These results have been delayed for various reasons that have prevented me from either running benchmarks, or gaining access to the forum to post results, and unfortunately no longer exist for me to post. In my personal opinion the coolant has not changed since the day it had been put into my loop.

Week 3 (21/1/12):
These results are taken after running Aurora coolant for close to three weeks, with at least 4 hours daily use.

GPU-1
GPU-1WaterCooling.png

GPU-2
GPU-2WaterCooling.png

GPU-3
GPU-3WaterCooling.png

GPU-4
GPU-4WaterCooling.png

Heaven Benchmark - Run 2 of 3:
Week3Run2.png

Sorry for the erratic image sizes, I didn't have the time to scale them all.

Week 4:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Reserved.

Week 5:
Week 5

Here are the results after 5 weeks of use. Both visually and statistically this coolant is still performing as good as day 1. I'll grab a camera tonight and get some more photo's taken :D

GPU1
5-3-12GPU1.png

GPU2
5-3-12GPU2.png

GPU3
5-3-12GPU3.png

GPU4
5-3-12GPU4.png

For those who care curious as to the high VDDC temps on one of the cards, it's due to a design flaw in the EK water block that does not account for a slight variation in chip height on non-reference cards. I could take the block off and apply a second thermal pad, but considering the temps never get over 82c in a benchmark I really don't feel it is necessary.

4.jpg

1.jpg

Week 6:
No results taken due to immanent upgrade due.

Week 7:
Week seven results taken prior to upgrade of loop to include the CPU and possible a 240mm AND 120mm radiator.

GPU1
18-2-12Run1.png

GPU2
18-2-12Run2.png

GPU3
18-2-12Run3.png

GPU4
18-2-12Run4.png

Room temp: 20c

Week 8:
Results taken on 26-2-12. The "Average" score on these results is slightly biased towards the warmer side of the scale as the 5 minute cool off period was not recorded. This is due to a massive leak occurring towards the end of pass 3 on the heaven benchmark, all 3 passes completed 100% and I have the heaven logs for anyone who needs proof:

GPU1
26-2-12GPU1.png

GPU2
26-2-12GPU2.png

GPU3
26-2-12GPU3.png

GPU4
26-2-12GPU4.png

Room temperature: 21c

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just put some very brief stock cooling results up. Before the loop is installed I will run Unigene Heaven 3 times and log all temps and post them up: If I get chance I will do this tomorrow.

Associate
OP
YES thank you mate this is what ive been waiting for, real-world findings. good hunting:)

Yer I noticed a real lack of any data regarding this coolant, either people don' use it because of the "don't use for more than 3 weeks" disclaimer with every bottle, or people just don't care as much as they used too :rolleyes:

At any rate, this is my first hitch with water cooling and I'm gambling a £1.5k tower doing it so I'm certainly interested to see how this all works out: If it all goes **** up, I'll still post the "ground zero" footage up onto YT :D

Associate
I've been running Aurora in my loop now for about a week, so far temps seem to be reasonable, 1-3oC variance from my previous coolant (Thermochill EC6).

Every day usage + extended gaming sessions on SWTOR (which maxes out the GPU) and BF3.

So far temps are:

kOweFl.jpg

WC equipment:

Hardware Labs GTX360 - 3 x Gentle Typhoons 120mm @ 1800RPM
EK EX 140 - 1 x Noiseblocker 140mm @ 1700RPM
FC480 GPU Block
EK Supreme HF Copper / Acetal (Jet Plate 6)
EK Dominator RAM Block
MCP644 + EK TOP

Currently Using Aurora Galaxy Purple.

Will definitely be interesting to see temps once the water temp normalises.

Associate
OP
Hopefully in 6 months once my trial ends more people will have being using Aurora coolants on this forum. Feel free to post any results you guys are getting with this stuff, as mentioned there is little to no info on this coolant regarding performance.

Also, according to Mike (Mayhem) on this forum he has it running for 6 months no problem in his system:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1179204/mayhems-pink-aurora-failing-after-24-hours/30

Associate
If you have any problems let us know. All so what water cooling kit are you using. We have done many tests and we've seen it from from 4 weeks under full load in restricted blocks up to 6 months in none restricted blocks. So it does all depend on what system you run.

This coolants is not meant to run for long periods of time but we have done our best to get more out of it how ever we are still working on making it better and may soon start shipping with a Top up bottle (10ml bottle) with extra Aurora in it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you have any problems let us know. All so what water cooling kit are you using. We have done many tests and we've seen it from from 4 weeks under full load in restricted blocks up to 6 months in none restricted blocks. So it does all depend on what system you run.

This coolants is not meant to run for long periods of time but we have done our best to get more out of it how ever we are still working on making it better and may soon start shipping with a Top up bottle (10ml bottle) with extra Aurora in it.

Howdy, I was curious to see if you would bump into this thread. My water cooling loop will be comprised of the following:

Code:
- Pump: EK DCP 4.0
- Rad: EK CoolStream XT 360
- Res: EK 150 basic
- Hose: 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD XSPC Clear (5 meters)
- Clips: 12x 3/4" OD
- Barbs: EK 1/2" ID Barbs
- GPU Blocks: EK 5970 Copper-Plexi

I'm hoping that these tests will show the effectiveness of your coolant in a decent sized loop using popular parts. Once the 6 months is up, I will be building a new system with either 6990's or the 7k equivalent given they are released and the water blocks are available. I will repeat this process for any "upgraded" versions of the coolant you have out then. The new system will probably have 2, possibly 3 loops built in (that's if I find another job by then) so the testing should be a much more thorough and accurate process.

Thanks for showing an interest, if any issues crop up I'll whip you an email to your mayhem's address. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you. i dont see any issues with you set up never tested the ek CoolStream XT 360 so that will be good to see. The e.k 4 is the 800ltrs hours pump so there defiantly is enough flow going though your system.

Ill keep an eye on the thread and see how things pan out and happy near year.

Mick

Associate
OP
An update:

Got all of the components now except for hose clips (ordered 1/2ID instead of 3/4" OD clips). Just spent an hour messing around making sure every thing is working okay, and nothing is leaking, it also gave me a good chance to practice. I accidentally pulled the hose off the pump when it was running, which although it was amazing to see a stream of water flying across my room, it was rather eye opening as to how careful I should be without the hose clamps (I think the hot water softened the hose a little as it was on amazingly tight before).

As soon as I can get a full day off work to install the system (either Thursday/Friday, or weekend as the farm I work on is bust cleaning up after processing our turkey flock), I will start getting some benchmarks done.

Just a note on a few things about Mayhem's stuff.

- Aurora: Put some in a cup (50ml), had to take a seat. Man this stuff looks amazing, so my hat off to the Mayhem team for this fluid.
- Mayhem "Ultra pure H20": Strange to have water that has no "smell" (our water is heavy in lime deposits, has a weird smell). Used close to 1l flushing all the components in the system out in my "mini-loop" (aka, unintentional water feature) and I'm sure it did that accordingly.

So that's that then guys, expect an update by the weekend with what's going on. I'll grab my neighbour's camera too, and some decent lights for this room....man these energy savers suck ***.

[edit]

Just an amusement, nothing relevant to thread...When I first turned the pump on, I was rather disappointed at how slow it was, expecting that 800l/hr would look pretty impressive compared to a 200l/hr pond pump. It was when I was putting one of my new fans (Akasa Apache) into the "Molex to 4x 3pin fan adapter" that I noticed two of the connections went into 12v, and two into 5.5v, which led me to realising the pump was running on 5.5v. Well, you see where this is going, switching the pump over made it run much quicker, a lot dam quicker too. The sudden rush of air bubbles moving out the system (5.5v speed wasn't enough to dislodge air from the RAD) made me jump, thinking that something had gone wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom