Snow Sports Thread 2017-18

Caporegime
Looking for a pair of powder skis like the Soul 7's for powder and soft piste conditions. Any recommendations for similar skis to look at?

Caporegime
They are my first choice, but I can get discounts on a few of the other big brands so want to see if there’s something else before jumping for a new pair of the Souls.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Decided to go big or go home so went with the Enforcer 110s :D Also picked up a new Smith helmet and pair of IO7 goggles after I realised my old ones are 10 years old.

Now we just need some more snow, but we’re suppossd to get a foot next week.

Associate
Anybody heading to french alps id advise having a look at Risoul, iv worked 3 seasons out there and iv found it better than a lot of the top rated and more popular places iv worked at. Always had a great night lit board park as well

Caporegime
Ski season is now upon us here. A couple of the small resorts opened last week and Sunshine and Lake Louise are opening on Tuesday/Wednesday. Skeleton service only at the moment, just a run of few but it's a start!

Soldato
Considering val disere during the Easter weekend. Does anyone know if it would be ridiculously busy /easy to get on ski lifts etc? I've previously been to Bulgaria and les arcs (non peak season)

I'll be snowboarding.

(it's a work trip all in £450 so cost during holidays isn't a concern)

Caporegime
Probably asked this in a thread a while ago, but do any of the boarders here have experience with NOW bindings? I'm looking to try and resolve the lower leg/foot pain I seem to get on longer days and i'm thinking it might be binding related. The whole 'skate tech' of the NOW bindings has me interested.

I don't think it's stance related as i've tried all sorts with that, duck, different angles, different width etc.... and I don't believe it's my boots either as I don't get any discomfort wearing them without being in a board.

Soldato
Off to Courcheval Moriond in late Feb for a week. Staying at the newly opened Fahrenheit 7 hotel (sister hotel in Val'D). Partners first time boarding so she's grabbing a few lessons beginning of the year then we'll get her kitted out.

Genuinely, what are the best sites to be purchasing equipment from these days? Our LSS is pretty good and the prices are comparable, if not cheaper than online, but their stock is a bit limited.

Also, I need a good, but not massively expensive, goggle suggestion.

Caporegime
Just head to your nearest Ellis Brigham TBH. They may be at a snow dome of some sort so you could always get your gf a couple of lessons too. That way she can get the ground running.

Soldato
I get most of my gear from Absolute Snow.

The missus has had 2 boarding lessons ready for her first trip over new years and she's absolutely nailing it. Much better than I was. She's had one lesson at Manchester and one at Castleford. 9 hours tuition total. Luckily at Castleford I booked her on midweek and she was the only person on it. £65 for 3 hours and ended up getting 1 on 1 tuition worth about £300! Obviously it's done wonders for her.

Caporegime
First days skiing this season in. I have a few more scuffs on the bottom of my skis from the early season coverage but otherwise conditions were great. They've had about 50cm of snow in the last week.

Soldato
I had a all day skiing lesson last week. Struggled a little bit at first and found it very off putting when the slope filled with children after school resulting in a few falls (rather that then knock them down like dominoes.) Got a week booked in Val Thorens end of January with 6 experienced skiers and one who has only been once before. I'm debating if I should have another lesson before I go. I have lessons booked on the holiday.

Caporegime
Maybe we will have to make a trip out to Whistler this year. We have Kicking Horse and Panorama trips planned but they are much closer to us.

Back
Top Bottom