Snow Sports Thread 2017-18

Soldato
I'm supposed to be in Val T at the end of March with 16 people from work

Sunweb have however just emailed us to say the accommodation is double booked and there isn't anything else available, despite us booking/paying in September last year

****!

Associate
I'm supposed to be in Val T at the end of March with 16 people from work

Sunweb have however just emailed us to say the accommodation is double booked and there isn't anything else available, despite us booking/paying in September last year

****!

We had the same issue with igluski last season also in Val Thorens. But they managed to move us to Courchevel 1850.. I was looking at Sunweb and thinking their prices are a lot cheaper then most... Now I'm not so sure.
Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Associate
I'm finding the prices for next season are so expensive! all over £1.1k for a catered chalet, It's the lift passes that nail you!
Lift price is a fixed price, so what I do is work out how much I am willing to spend max, take of the pass and that gives you your expense for accom, flights ect. We went through Iglu Ski. Prices will be expensive now but as I say. You can risk looking for a last minute deal in VT as there is much accommodation.

Associate
Lift price is a fixed price, so what I do is work out how much I am willing to spend max, take of the pass and that gives you your expense for accom, flights ect. We went through Iglu Ski. Prices will be expensive now but as I say. You can risk looking for a last minute deal in VT as there is much accommodation.

So best way to work that out? and best way to book it with out a agent?

Associate

So best way to work that out? and best way to book it with out a agent?

Associate
kinda simple.

say u have a budget of £1k
lift pass is £250, so that leaves £750 for flights, accommodation and transfers

2 choices - package deal or diy

package - search Igloo, Sno, Crystal, Nielson, Thomson, Co-Op Ski, etc. with a limit of £750

diy:
Accommodation - unless you already know somewhere, then almost as crude as google resort + chalet/hotel (and info on their website would probably suggest best airport and potential transfer company)
flights - generally want Geneva or Lyon, so use Skyscanner to see prices from your UK airport to them
transfer - (depending where you want to go) but off the top of my head there's Alpybus, BensBus, Skiidy Gonzales, Snowbus, and google...

You might/should be able to get a diy that's cheaper than a package, but not always. Plus (as has happened to me a few times) - if your flight gets delayed then the package deal's transfer will wait for you, but a diy one wont as they have their own timetable... I've been stung with a 9 hour wait in Geneva in the past due to missing my bus and the day-long wait for a spare seat...

also check SCUK and Ski Club GB - both offer discounts for transfers, accommodation and even flights for their members - get the right combination and it soon pays for the membership on one of them (and then some - e.g. SCUK is £15/yr but can get 10% accommodation discount, so that's soon £50 off and an instant £35/head saving). Their discount pages are also a good idea for accommodation options if you're struggling to find options.

Caporegime
If you go to Switzerland then you can get a dependable train to all resorts, typically a train every 30 minutes. Lots of great resorts the package holidays don't go to so there are no drunk brits and prices are all quite reasonbale.

If you are not fussed where you end up then last minute package deals are the cheapest.

Associate
Yeah. I've been looking at the snowtrain, Doesn't look that bad either! exploring all options, I've got in contact with a lot of chalets and apartments direct, However most of them run Sunday-Sunday and it's proving expensive or difficult to source flights.
Hopefully the £ will get stronger and prices wont seem so crazy!

Soldato
Yeah the snow train to les arcs is very well connected to here. I flew there but in future would consider the train if i was close to london.

Im going to val d'isere snowboarding this year with work. Any recommendations?
Taking the bus from London :X

Associate
Yeah the snow train to les arcs is very well connected to here. I flew there but in future would consider the train if i was close to london.

Im going to val d'isere snowboarding this year with work. Any recommendations?
Taking the bus from London :X

I've never done Val d'isere, I have been told it's very expensive once there!
Ouch man catching the bus, I feel for you! long travel time!

Associate

Prices in Val d'isere are all over the place. You can pay €20 for a standard soup in one restaurant and then next door you can get a great pizza for less than €15(at least you could 2 years ago). It is certainly on the expense side but there is value to be had.

Associate
Out of interest does anyone in this thread own a property out in the Alps? Myself and 3 of my mates have been looking at 1-2 bed apartments/flats, seen some cracking ones for around £120-188k . And wondering what sort of fees are involved in the resort etc..

Associate
Like Courchevel 1800, you can find some v v expensive places and some far cheaper (but still more than a Greggs). Or, just hop over the ridge and drop into Tignes Le Lac and it's generally cheaper (and, personally, I find it more relaxed and prefer it)

Back
Top Bottom