SNP to break up Britian?

Permabanned
Where are those sorts of territorial claims?

Most Scots across the political spectrum want full fiscal autonomy, not the situation where the "English money" claim arrises. It's not hard to grasp.

I think a unification with Norway or independence somewhat unlikely for the Northern Isles.

Soldato
Holyrood is only responsible for around 10% of spending in Scotland. Some departments that rule Scotland don't even have a footprint or staff here.

what do you mean?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-12849111

I don't even know if that factors in the proposed Scotland bill.

It's also worth noting that both Scottish parliament and Scotland bill were projects initiated without the threat of Scottish independence so there has been a devolution agenda from Westminster at least since 1997.

Man of Honour
Where are those sorts of territorial claims?

The claims referencing the entire value of north sea oil and gas.

Are you one of the people I mentioned who talk about it without knowing where it is?

Most Scots across the political spectrum want full fiscal autonomy, not the situation where the "English money" claim arrises. It's not hard to grasp.

Or believe. It's a slogan. It's not reality.

I think a unification with Norway or independence somewhat unlikely for the Northern Isles.

REunification.

What makes you think it's somewhat unlikely?

What makes you think it's any more unlikely than independence for Scotland?

Would you agree with the islands having "full fiscal autonomy" and for decisions that affects the islands to be taken there, by their own government? If not, why not? After all, it's not hard to grasp, is it?

Soldato
It's all about Alex ***** Salmond !

I firmly believe that most Scots do NOT wish to break up the union.

THe danger is that people with nationalist tendencies feel so strongly about it that they are sure to vote in the referendum. Those of us who believe we are British as much as Scottish need to make sure we put a stop to this by voting against independence.

Britain is better off being as complete as possible - in these days of global economies and recession, there is strength in numbers - no good can come of a break up, in my opinion.

Smaller countries are not competing - bigger is better on all fronts
I couldn't have put it better myself. Although I'll always be English as a person, as most scots think themselves scotish, I love the country I live in and it would never be the same if it were split. The SNP would like people to belive that 300 years ago was just yesterday and the union was a bad idea from the start. The reality is we've been through a huge amount together and should be immensely proud of much of it.
Meh, let him have his referendum, if he loses, then he can bugger off, if he wins then it'll be a shame, but to be honest I don't think Scotland contributes much to the union, wouldn't the rest of the UK actually be better off financially as Scotland takes more than it gives?

This is kind of statement is even more idiotic than what's pushed by the nats.

Last edited:
Associate
I find this thread quite interesting, as most (not all) of the Scots I have asked about this seem to be pro union (http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/scottish-independence/referendum-outcome would confirm this opinion to a degree).

Personally I quite like being in a union, and I don't think the 'fiscal independence' idea really makes sense anyway. Just because Westminster is full of ***** doesn't mean Holyrood won't be, and causing a very painful fiscal/legal/political breakup that would stretch over a decade during a huge recession seems like incredibly poor timing and judgement.

Throwing out a curveball - coalition collapses before 2014, snap election, Labour gets in with a majority. Salmond would be having kittens :D

Associate
It is surely right that the people of Scotland get to make up their own minds regarding the future of their country.

It is surely right that the people of Scotland are given the chance to vote on the issue.

and, most importantly, we keep a goodly supply of Irn Bru to 'Ascendancy' and all those who prefer an alternative to the dark matter :)

Associate
DeclarationOfArbroath_zps3c1bdff4.jpg

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It is surely right that the people of Scotland get to make up their own minds regarding the future of their country.

It is surely right that the people of Scotland are given the chance to vote on the issue.

Indeed it is. However what the people of Scotland don't get to decide are the terms of that separation, that would be done via negotiation between the two parties involved. Hopefully to ensure as fair a separation as possible as that would be in the best interests of both nations. But "fair" is a terribly subjective word.

Talking hypotheticals here. What happens if part of Scotland decides that it would rather remain as part of the UK and has overwhelming support from the local populace? Say Perthshire decided by significant majority that it would prefer to remain part of the UK. What happens then?

Soldato
Wouldn't it be a + point for him? Depends on the spin put on the stats I suppose..

Not really.

While many Olympians may be Scottish, they wouldn't have been able to do it without British funding. Take Chris Hoy for example, there was talk he was getting involved because he likes being part of Britain and further to that, he needed the help of the British Cycling programme to achieve what he did as its the best in the business.

Most Scots don't want to separate and a summer of getting all patriotic behind Team GB has done nothing to help Salmond.

Man of Honour

It is surely right that the people of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland get to make up their own minds regarding the future of their country, but unless they reside in Scotland they won't - 5 million people will decide whether or not to completely change the makeup of a country of 60 million.

Associate
[TW]Fox;22803774 said:
This is all about nationalistic rivalry really isn't it...

No it is about national identity. It is about freedom. It is about not being a subordinate of another country.

The United Kingdom is not an equal partnership. It was not freely entered into. It really has no validation.

The big worry for those in London is that the regions are going to want the same autonomy as Scotland.

This is what Sir Geoffrey Howe wrote to Margaret Thatcher regarding Liverpool in 1981
""I cannot help feeling that the option of managed decline is one which we should not forget altogether. We must not expend all our limited resources in trying to make water flow uphill." see full article.

In more recent and more tragic circumstances we can see that the posh boys prevented justice for the Liverpool fans for 23 years. Do you really buy those apologies?

Scotland have been facing such injustices for centuries and on the 700th anniversary of Robert the Bruce's victory at Bannockburn, the Scottish people have the chance to put things right.

Yes. It is a matter of principal. It is a matter of justice. It is a matter of right.

Associate
[TW]Fox;22806216 said:
It is surely right that the people of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland get to make up their own minds regarding the future of their country, but unless they reside in Scotland they won't - 5 million people will decide whether or not to completely change the makeup of a country of 60 million.

Your argument appears to be similar to

Family A has 10 children.
Family B has 1 child.

The child in Family B has to marry into family A because family A is larger.

Just because England is a larger country should we always have to bow to their wishes? England does not need Scotland's permission to spend a penny and neither should Scotland need England's permission to do as they wish.

Man of Honour
No it is about national identity. It is about freedom.

Very romantic. In reality your personal level of freedom will remain unchanged - it'll just be a different set of politicians in charge. You won't be in charge of your country any more than you are now.

And Scotland isn't a subordinate of England. Do you forget a Scot has held the highest elected position in the UK for the majority of the last two decades?

Soldato
alex salmond is an idiot and an egomaniac.

i don't think we should split up, not because england would lose anything, we would probably gain more than we lost, but because it would be a disaster for scotland.

Soldato
Say Perthshire decided by significant majority that it would prefer to remain part of the UK. What happens then?

We invade immediately and take it back for ourselves, send them homeward to think again

Then again its Perth..........you can have it :D but only if you take Dundee too

Soldato
I really don't think we know enough info, to be honest. Salmond has said a lot, but not enough to really convince me, although I'm swaying on the side of breaking up the union.

To say Scotland would fail on it's own is silly, very silly.

Furthermore, to say it is 'just another political party'... so what? Perhaps I'm tired of the Labour/Conservative dominance, and want to see a new party?

Associate
[TW]Fox;22806301 said:
Very romantic. In reality your personal level of freedom will remain unchanged - it'll just be a different set of politicians in charge. You won't be in charge of your country any more than you are now.

Scotland elected one conservative MP in the whole country, and we are still being ruled by a couple of arrogant posh boys.

That will certainly change in an independant Scotland.

Back
Top Bottom