So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

R F

R F

Associate
Out of all of the videos I see on youtube for these robots they're all on wood flooring. Do they perform well on carpet?

Associate
You didn't even say what 3rd gen, so no idea you meant samsung. Be clearer in your posts.

Also the Xiaomi is the best robot, so no idea why you would wait for any 3rd gen samsung anyway.

My post was pretty clear mate, your quote was about the Xiaomi 3rd Gen, as in wait for it and I used your quote to answer to someone else.

The Samsung was an impulse buy before I realised that it wasn't worth the money.

iLife A8 seems pretty nice and not quite expensive, still pretty much the same price as the Xiaomi 2nd Gen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
My post was pretty clear mate, your quote was about the Xiaomi 3rd Gen, as in wait for it and I used your quote to answer to someone else..
It's not clear at all... why wait for the Xiaomi 3rd gen? I genuinely don't understand what you mean and I think you got some wires crossed somewhere. :)

Soldato
My post was pretty clear mate, your quote was about the Xiaomi 3rd Gen, as in wait for it and I used your quote to answer to someone else.

The Samsung was an impulse buy before I realised that it wasn't worth the money.

iLife A8 seems pretty nice and not quite expensive, still pretty much the same price as the Xiaomi 2nd Gen.

Look at the link I posted. The A8 is not that good.
The iLife V7S pro is on par with the Xiaomi but a 3rd of the price.

Caporegime
OP
Look at the link I posted. The A8 is not that good.
The iLife V7S pro is on par with the Xiaomi but a 3rd of the price.
It's not a third of the price, it is a bit more than half the price of the Xiaomi Mi Robot 1 (which is now a bargain considering the v2 is hardly an upgrade).

Soldato
It's not a third of the price, it is a bit more than half the price of the Xiaomi Mi Robot 1 (which is now a bargain considering the v2 is hardly an upgrade).

It was £104 when they had a sale on. I never buy full price for Chinese things.
The Yi home 720p was only £9 and the 1080p £12 in the sales.

I did look into getting a Xiaomi vacuum. But the test(link above) put the Ilife V7S Pro on par. And the V7 can mop the floor :)

Caporegime
OP
It was £104 when they had a sale on. I never buy full price for Chinese things.

I did look into getting a Xiaomi vacuum. But the test(link above) put the Ilife V7S Pro on par. And the V7 can mop the floor :)
It's a good robot if you are on a budget, but the lack of intelligent mapping system, no WiFi for firmware updates and no remote app functionality is imo a big disadvantage of functionality and convenience in the long-term.

Soldato
It's a good robot if you are on a budget, but the lack of intelligent mapping system, no WiFi for firmware updates and no remote app functionality is imo a big disadvantage of functionality and convenience in the long-term.

I disagree. It has a remote so you can set what program you want it to do.
I can take the dust tank out and replace it with a water tank. The vacuum knows and does different actions.
None of the vacuums are perfect. I will be putting more powerful motors in mine soon as they are dirt cheap :)

Associate
as with any new tech. i think it's still best to wait it for all the kinks to be ironed out.

i'll wait for the 3rd gen personally. usually the best time to buy into new tech.

Let me explain. I didn't read every single statement in a 19 pages post but did catch most. Quote included is someone mentioning to wait for 3rd Gen Xiaomi due to 3rd Gen tech in general being better.

After spending a considerable amount of time watching youtube videos and reading reviews, there are only a handful of robots that can actually do the job. As in navigate, hoover, suction, carpets, mopping, return to base, app connection etc.

The ILIFE A8 is the only version of iLife that has navigation. How the other versions clean and mop... random movement is completely stupid. You wouldn't buy a car that only turns right and has 3 gears because it is half the price?

The Xiaomi really is the best one, I would say the Neato Robotics D7 is 2nd and the Miele Scout RX2 is 3rd.

The iRobot top of the range ones (ie 980) are already too old and none of the cheaper versions have navigation.

Brava Jet random navigation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6u4xFMo2Ik

Last edited:
Soldato
Dear lord, just fallen into the researching robot hoovers blackhole of time...

No idea what one to go for. Need it to cover 3 medium size room (all hard floor, with 1 rug). If it can mop as well that'd be great. Larger the dust bin the better as I've got two dogs).

In no particular order, I've got the shortlist as:

a) Neato D7 connected (doesn't have washable filters and is a bit too tall to fit under my sideboards) £550

b) Dyson 360 Eye (too tall again, expensive and from what I can tell not actually that great at navigation etc) £800

c) Eufy 11C (cheap but no mapping apparently?) £260

d) Proscenic 811GB (even cheaper still and can mop, but unsure if it's just cheap rubbish) £219

e) xiaomi robot vacuum 2 (spec wise looks great but unsure about the Chinese origins). £421

What's the best available currently? And price wise where best to purchase from?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Out of all of the videos I see on youtube for these robots they're all on wood flooring. Do they perform well on carpet?

My xiamoi deals with my thick living room carpet very well. The ground floor is a mix of thick carpet, engineered wood, laminate and vinyl. No issues on any surface,

Associate
I've got a Eufy 11C and even without the intelligent mapping it does a great job. Does often get stuck on the ledge of the stairs when doing upstairs but otherwise does an awesome job. I bought it to reduce the number of times I needed to vacuum myself and found it's more or less replaced having to do it myself. The only thing I need to do myself now is the stairs pretty much.

It covers my entire house (well 1 floor at a time) with no problems, that's a hallway, large kitchen, dining room, living room and study. I run it a couple of times a week and it does a great job, estate agent that valued my property recently was surprised how clean the carpets and hard floor were from just the robot vacuum cleaner.

Associate
Dear lord, just fallen into the researching robot hoovers blackhole of time...

No idea what one to go for. Need it to cover 3 medium size room (all hard floor, with 1 rug). If it can mop as well that'd be great. Larger the dust bin the better as I've got two dogs).

In no particular order, I've got the shortlist as:

a) Neato D7 connected (doesn't have washable filters and is a bit too tall to fit under my sideboards) £550

b) Dyson 360 Eye (too tall again, expensive and from what I can tell not actually that great at navigation etc) £800

c) Eufy 11C (cheap but no mapping apparently?) £260

d) Proscenic 811GB (even cheaper still and can mop, but unsure if it's just cheap rubbish) £219

e) xiaomi robot vacuum 2 (spec wise looks great but unsure about the Chinese origins). £421

What's the best available currently? And price wise where best to purchase from?

After hours if not days researching ALL robot vacuums, watching youtube videos and reading reviews, these are my top choices in the order from most wanted to least.
  1. ECOVACS DEEBOT OZMO 930
  2. Xiaomi Roborock S50 (2nd Gen, maybe wait for 3rd Gen?)
  3. Miele Scout RX2

Last edited:
Associate
Managed to get a Xiaomi S50 for £300 on order, so will see how that pans out and report back.

For the money I think this is supposed to be the best value going.

Where from? I saw it briefly on Amazon DE at around £310 but prices shot up to over £400 now.

:D Essex lad too, let me know when it arrives, I'll pop around for a live demo :p

Also have a look at these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/af/Xiaom...28154100&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Xiaomi+Robot+Stickers&_sacat=0

Last edited:
Associate
Bought the Eufy Robovac 11 when we moved in to a new house about 3 months ago, worked fine until a week ago where the fans wouldn't spin and it beeped angrily at us.

Contacted their customer service and after a couple of emails they're sending us a brand new one FOC and advised to keep the old one.

Soldato
Bought the Eufy Robovac 11 when we moved in to a new house about 3 months ago, worked fine until a week ago where the fans wouldn't spin and it beeped angrily at us.

Contacted their customer service and after a couple of emails they're sending us a brand new one FOC and advised to keep the old one.

I see this is on the Deal of the Day at Amazon - Quite tempted to get one to be honest! I've just moved into a new place, which is just one floor with five rooms in total. 3 rooms have laminate flooring, 1 room is tiled and another is lino - Dust everywhere :p

I have a TV cabinet that is mounted on the wall and is about 10cm above the floor (set just above the wall trims). Would it go under it and clean? Also could I have it charge under there?

Back
Top Bottom