So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

GDL

GDL

Associate
Is now a good time to order a Roomba 650?
Been tempted for a while and got a bonus at work so might take the plunge.

Soldato
I'd go with the Xiaomi, if you're happy purchasing from China and the slight concerns with warranty etc.

Whilst the Roomba is a household name, that model is also about 4 years old now (not sure how much technology has really moved on though if you're not bothered about App linking)

Soldato
Anyone with a xiaomi here? I've noticed over the past few weeks or so my notifications to my phone (eg: robot starting/stopping) are no longer coming in real time but hours (or a possibly a day) late?

Caporegime
OP
Woohoo Xiaomi have now updated the Mi Home software to provide the same functionality to the original Mi Robot that the Xiaomi Mi Robot 2 has, namely features like zone cleaning etc! They came through in the end. :)

Anyone with a xiaomi here? I've noticed over the past few weeks or so my notifications to my phone (eg: robot starting/stopping) are no longer coming in real time but hours (or a possibly a day) late?

My notifications have often been dodgy but that's because the app often logs itself out and requires you to re-sign in. Most annoying.

Soldato
Woohoo Xiaomi have now updated the Mi Home software to provide the same functionality to the original Mi Robot that the Xiaomi Mi Robot 2 has, namely features like zone cleaning etc! They came through in the end. :)
That is just epic! Looking forward to that update!

My notifications have often been dodgy but that's because the app often logs itself out and requires you to re-sign in. Most annoying.
I'm not having to log in... Just updates come through with very long random delays?

Soldato
£235 for the original Xiaomi:

https://www.banggood.com/Original-X...-1098131.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=HK

Good? Is the newer one worth the extra £100?
I would say with the older one now also getting "zone" support, no, the newer one is not worth it.

Zone came with the mk2 as default but is now being rolled out to the mk1 as well (I've not got it yet though). This allows you to make an area of your floor plan and the robot to go there, clean it and return to the charger. This is the only feature I feel it was missing...

Soldato
as with any new tech. i think it's still best to wait it for all the kinks to be ironed out.

i'll wait for the 3rd gen personally. usually the best time to buy into new tech.
Kinks? LIke the robot humping your leg when you're sitting on the couch?

Joking aside, the mk1 is great! The only reason I see to get the mk2 is if you want the mop feature...

Caporegime
Kinks? LIke the robot humping your leg when you're sitting on the couch?

Joking aside, the mk1 is great! The only reason I see to get the mk2 is if you want the mop feature...

i'm sure in future they will have increased range, increased battery, better suction, better cleaning, increased storage, etc as well as additional features. may even come with smart home integration. so it knows when you are out then schedules to clean up as soon as you have left so it's clean for when you get back.

Soldato
Are there any that do a half decent job at mopping as well, or just mopping if needed?
The Xiaomi mk2 has a mop option. Look at some of the youtube reviews. Seems a tad of a faff to me.

i'm sure in future they will have increased range, increased battery, better suction, better cleaning, increased storage, etc as well as additional features. may even come with smart home integration. so it knows when you are out then schedules to clean up as soon as you have left so it's clean for when you get back.
Wait long enough and it'll be a full blown two legged full AI drone? :)

The Xiaomi mk1 needs no more range or battery. It does my entire ground floor using less about a third of its charge.

I'd suggest for its size, its suction is good.

The storage is more than adequate for a good single clean, but you will need to empty it each time. More storage would mean a bigger unit, and then the odd pattern of emptying it every other clean?

Additional features? Such as? Going up and down stairs? Yes please, but we're back to your two legged full AI drone :)

Smart home integration? The Xiaomi doesn't (yet) but some do. But TBH, the phone app is very good, and probably more functional than home integration would be. And with the zone cleaning feature even soming back to the mk1, that ticks a huge huge box for me! [Just waiting for the software update! Give it to me dammit!]

The only issue I'd say it (and many units) have, is how well it reaches edges. It's mediocre on carpets. OK on hard.

ps: The Xiaomi is very good at going up edges/drops. There's a 1.5cm+ rise into my kitchen and the unit has no issues going up/down it. Also, there's a very thick front doormat which it can handle.

ps: If I had a logical place upstairs for another Xiaomi mk1 to live I'd get one! Downstairs it lives under the kids sofa in the playroom. So completely out of site :)

Soldato
Yeah the reviews on the mopping are poor.
The ones I've seen are mediocre...

At the end of the day, never understood a unit attempting mopping as it just doesn't seem ideal for it. ie: You want a nice bucket of water with a good solid mopping action. You're not going to achieve this with a 30cm wide 10cm high robot.

We only have hard floor in part of our downstairs and TBH I'd rather just fill a bucket up with hot water, and mop it properly which takes all of 3 minutes. I'd be spending that amount of time faffing about with a robot before/after.

Vacuuming is a different story, at least in my house. The robot makes a huge difference and saves time/hassle.

Man of Honour
I'm planning to have full hardflooing throughout and would be nice to have an auto mop, just like hoover which does a pretty good job, but still requires a proper job once in a while.

Caporegime
third gen will improve mopping, etc. i'll wait for it.

it's why i haven't bought OLED yet. waiting for them to become proper bright for HDR.

the first few generations are never perfect and have annoying flaws.

Soldato
I'm planning to have full hardflooing throughout and would be nice to have an auto mop, just like hoover which does a pretty good job, but still requires a proper job once in a while.
I don't think you'll ever find a unit that will mop properly. Consider the amount of water/rinsing involved. In a single small area - eg: just a kitchen - fine. But over tens of square metres I just don't think a robot will be ideal.

Now if you're simply after a robot to vacuum your hard floors well, then no problem!

Soldato
third gen will improve mopping, etc. i'll wait for it.

it's why i haven't bought OLED yet. waiting for them to become proper bright for HDR.

the first few generations are never perfect and have annoying flaws.
I don't think mopping will be significantly improve - See above.

ps: I bought an OLED over x-mas. It seems proper bright for HDR to me - Enjoy your wait :)

Back
Top Bottom