So did anyone buy the Dell 24in ST2410?

Soldato
I hear TN panels are a no no, well it used to be i duno now. Are TN panels like this monitor uses not as bad now or do they still suck? Viewing im ok with as i look straight at my monitors, im about 2-3ft away from it. Duno if this would effect me with the type of panel to get but thought id say it.

Associate
I hear TN panels are a no no, well it used to be i duno now. Are TN panels like this monitor uses not as bad now or do they still suck? Viewing im ok with as i look straight at my monitors, im about 2-3ft away from it. Duno if this would effect me with the type of panel to get but thought id say it.

Im no expert on TN panels but to me they look great for the price and you have to factor that in. Of course there are better panels, most noticeably IPS but you have to be willing to fork our 2/3x as much. U2410 looks amazing but i couldn't justify the price, maybe take a look at the new nec ocuk stock.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-031-NE
Still 1920x1080, 1" less at 23", trading HDMI for displayport, and obviously the panel and viewing angles are much better but at double the price of this.

bJN

bJN

Soldato

Going to be completely honest with you; TN panels are fine and IPS/PVA/MVA are a waste of money. Unless you do professional photography / design work I see no reason to warrant spending £300+ on a 22" monitor when one for £120-£160 does the exact same thing. I've been using some dodgy HANNspree 19" New York model that's been around for ages and is / was classed as a budget LCD screen and it does fine. I even do a fair amount of video editing and Photoshop work and I'm yet to find a reason to get rid of it for a non-TN panel screen.

Caporegime
ITs not big enough to warrant a wall hanging lol

You really do come out with some gems don't you :D. Because everyone knows a screen has to be at least 42" before it warrants being hung on a wall :confused:.

The purpose for wall mounting is a) it clears desk space that would otherwise have been unavailable due to the footprint of the stand, b) it looks better, even at 24" and c) it allows more flexibility in height, angle, etc.. Mine is on an articulated arm.

As such, the Dell ST2410 was not suitable for me personally. BenQ 2420HDB coming on Monday.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
You really do come out with some gems don't you :D. Because everyone knows a screen has to be at least 42" before it warrants being hung on a wall :confused:.

The purpose for wall mounting is a) it clears desk space that would otherwise have been unavailable due to the footprint of the stand b) it looks better, even at 24" and c) it allows more flexibility in height, angle, etc.. Mine is on an articulated arm.

As such, the Dell ST2410 was not suitable for me personally. BenQ 2420HDB coming on Monday.

But the design of the Dell ST2410 is just that, DESIGN. It looks smart, it's not meant to save space it's there to look pretty, and it has to be said that is a good looking monitor.

I don't get the point of wall-mounting myself, I think it looks odd and would annoy the hell out of me if I had dual screens mounted - I like having angles; but each to their own :p

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Absolutely. What's your point?

The ST2410 wasn't made to be used on a wall mount, thought I made that point? It isn't one of these "flat as paper" screens that are ideally suited to hang off a wall, it's there to sit nicely on a desk and look smart...

Caporegime
The ST2410 wasn't made to be used on a wall mount, thought I made that point?

You did, but I don't know why you made it. And yes lack of VESA does tend to suggest that it wasn't made to be used on a wall mount :confused:. That's the reason I didn't go for it. What's your point?

It isn't one of these "flat as paper" screens that are ideally suited to hang off a wall, it's there to sit nicely on a desk and look smart...

Obviously, but why are you telling us this? I never said otherwise. I simply said that I didn't go for the Dell due to the lack of VESA, which I require for my purposes. But for this, I would have purchased the Dell.

Soldato
So bJN thinks IPS displays aren't worth the money unless you’re into professional photography and graphics and he thinks that wall mounting a display is pointless. I disagree, I disagree strongly.

Well for a start, a TN display does the same job as an IPS in the same way that a Renault Clio does the same job as Bentley Flying Spur, technically it does ..but ...well you wouldn't quite think that if you swapped from one to the other now would you.

It is worth the money, I think it's worth the money, a lot of people do and I do not do professional photography or graphical work.

It is hard to put the difference, beyond the obvious viewing angles into words exactly, but it's sure as hell there, the colours are just much more natural looking, there shouldn’t be any banding, black crush or harshness to it.

Personally I want to know I am getting the best colour accuracy and the most 'natural' display of colour that I can from my display (without going as far as the seriously expensive professional monitors, and they cost thousands not hundreds) and I want decent viewing angles, I don't want the colour shifting on me when I move my head (well I use duel monitors and look at both of them at a slight angle).

So saying they aren't worth the money is quite narrow-minded to be fair. Maybe they aren't worth it to you, but to a lot of people they are. £300-£450 isn't a huge amount of money to spend on what I would argue is the single most important part of a desktop computer and your window into it. You spend all your time looking at the monitor, it defines how you see everything ...thus it's very, very important ...and will very likely last through a number of hardware upgrades so it's cost doesn't seem to bad at all then, compared to the prices some people pay for graphics cards anyway.

It all comes down to choice, you purchase what suites you best, both in performance and budgetary terms.

And wall mounting a display can be very useful, it allows for a greater degree of control over the position of the display, it frees up desk space, and albeit not the main point of doing it but also adds security.

Last edited:
Associate
Is the 1-2 week lead time accurate? Some people on here seem to be saying they've ordered it in the last 2 days and it'll arrive monday..

Found a review below, not sure if its been posted yet:
http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-...-quick-review-153623-gars2.html#content_start

My order has a 2 week lead time but others who have ordered have had it within days.

I ordered around 11pm on wednesday (13/01/10) and had EDD of 02/02/10, and it turned up today, so i'd expect yours to turn up next tuesday if you ordered today.

Associate
Thanx for the link! Great pics in there!

Could someone comment one of the guys comments in that topic:

"I have received this monitor and it has some issues.

ST2410 has brightness issues..the brightness keeps fluctuating between bright and dark backgrounds on the screen. Suppose If a web page has black graphics(more than 40% of the screen)..the brightness is dull else it is bright. It has some auto adjust mechanism. Though we cannot enable or disable it using settings.

But the real problem comes when there is a combination of bright and dark graphics in the same page the monitor brightness flickers."

Is it dynamic contrast he talks about. Cant you really not turn it off?
I really dislike dynamic contrast so if that is the case it is a dealbreaker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom