So I failed my driving test... again.

Soldato
Other concerns with the instructor? If I make a mistake on a lesson, he doesn't just calmy let me know, he seems to throw a tantrum and get ****ed off, very quickly. He has also made it into a habit to show up 5/10 minutes late to each lesson recently, however doesn't add the extra time on.

This guy is your employee, basically. In no way should he be shouting at you or showing up late for work, ditch him.

Associate
3rd time now. Failed on more than my 2nd test too. My parents are saying my instructor hasn't been teaching me correct and that I should look at going for a different one for a second opinion, I'm not sure if that would be best or not myself so I'm here for a second opinion!

I do have a few concerns about my instructor though... He changed driving schools when I was 3 weeks from my first test, which meant a change in car too. He hadn't showed me anything to do with checking the engine until the day of the test. The questions the examiner asked me when we got in the car had all been based on common sense more than the actual way of doing things as he told me none of this either.

All in all I think I should really change, but I think I'll have a break first... Ah... I don't know what to do!

I think practice makes man perfect.All fault is not your and not your instructor.So keep it up and pass your driving test.

Any help? :(

Associate
OP
A change sounds like a good idea, But remember they are going to want to put you through a fair few lessons before you go for your test again.

Yeah, I think that's why I have stuck with my current instructor this long, not wanting to have to pay for more lessons. He said put in for your test, but clearly (at least to me) it would seem I'm not ready, he thinks I am so I'm not learning anything on his lessons. I think a second opinion would be good now, just needed confirmation it was a good idea!

Caporegime
Well, on my sheet the major is ticked for "Awareness/planning" and also "Meeting situations"

IIRC 6 minors in different areas don't amount to a fail, but majors do. So I failed on those major faults.

Didn't the examiner tell you exactly or were you not listening to him when he explained?

Associate
I failed my first test this morning too. :( :( :(

Got 3 minors, 1 serious and 1 dangerous errors.

The serious was not doing a full 360 check before pulling away after an emergency stop.

The dangerous was because the examiner had to break when I was attempting to enter a roundabout - somehow I didn't see a white van, and when I did my breaking was not hard enough.

Associate
OP
Didn't the examiner tell you exactly or were you not listening to him when he explained?

He did say the part of the test where it was. Sorry if I wasn't reading what you were asking right! Thought ya just wanted the info on the sheet.

Anyways, the planning one I believe was my own fault. On the independant drive he asked me to take the 2nd road of the right before doing it, I didn't spot that road in time so had to react quickly to do it.

The meeting situation one was due to a lorry on my side of the road. I spotted a car coming on the other side of the road but they were quite far down, so much so that I could get round the lorry without them stopping. As soon as I crept out to do so, the car rushed up towards me and put it's breaks on. Perhaps I should have waited, but my instructor has told me that if you can make it before the other car you should go otherwise it goes down as undue hesitation.

Soldato
He has told me a few times that he is grade six and also follows up by saying there are only about 40 grade 6 instructors in the country, whether that's true or not idk. But that's what he says!

That's complete rubbish.. As of September 2012 there where 2792 registered at Grade 6. The figures for the last quarter have not been published yet

Soldato
Go with a family member or a driving instructor a friend says is REALLY good, I had a crap one to start with, eventually found a good one and suddenly driving just clicked and became really fun for me!

Soldato
OP just get a new instructor asap, ring around a few and find someone who is just nice and is competent. Most will be fine to do a single lesson to see if it'll work out well between you so just explain your last instructor you have failed 3 times with and he didn't help you learn well enough.

There is no point in paying someone who just shouts at you and doesn't give you the full lesson when you aren't getting the results.

Only other advice is sort it out right now. Don't stop driving because of this set back. The quicker you learn and pass the quicker it'll become natural and you'll have the confidence to enjoy it.

Associate
I failed my first test this morning too. :( :( :(

Got 3 minors, 1 serious and 1 dangerous errors.

The serious was not doing a full 360 check before pulling away after an emergency stop.

The dangerous was because the examiner had to break when I was attempting to enter a roundabout - somehow I didn't see a white van, and when I did my breaking was not hard enough.

I shouldnt laugh but the examiner braking for you is lol worthy.

Chin up, bit more practice sure you will be fine next time. You will be looking out for vans carefully anyway!

Associate
Failed on different things each time. About 6/7 minors each time, but this time round I had majors for planning/awareness and a meeting situation. Last time round both of these were fine. Different examiner each time though.

Other concerns with the instructor? If I make a mistake on a lesson, he doesn't just calmy let me know, he seems to throw a tantrum and get ****ed off, very quickly. He has also made it into a habit to show up 5/10 minutes late to each lesson recently, however doesn't add the extra time on.

I wouldn't stop completely, just take a break for a bit. I've spent a load of money on it so far so I wouldn't just give up, but a break could do me good, is what I thought at least!

The idea of driving with parents is good, however it would mean being put on their insurance, whilst that could be costly it may be beneficial I guess.

Change, his methds of teaching are not working for you. Someone else may improve your driving.

Back
Top Bottom