Soldato
Odd. 17 to 9 sounds more like clocking to me.

But still, as people have mentioned above it could be absolutely nothing.

But, do you want to risk it? What if this seemingly nice guy is dodgy and just playing it very well? There are plenty of bikes out there :)

Man of Honour
OP
I genuinely don't think the guy knew about this.

It would have happened 3 years before he bought his bike and he has his HPI check document which shows the all clear, his MOT certificates only show the last 4 MOT mileages recorded (all incremental), and he didn't get FSH with the bike.

Soldato
Let's say it has been clocked... have you figured out roughly what the mileage should be and looked at the price of bikes with the same mileage?

Maybe it's fine - as you said it happened 3 years before he got it and his check was fine. Go for it if you're happy. I'm just not very trusting when it comes to this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well the condition of the bike really is excellent. A rusty bolt or two is about all I could find wrong with it.

I've got until Thursday to decide, I reckon it would be between 20-25K miles if it was clocked. I think my biggest concern is actually how it would affect resale value.

Soldato
Well the condition of the bike really is excellent. A rusty bolt or two is about all I could find wrong with it.

I've got until Thursday to decide, I reckon it would be between 20-25K miles if it was clocked. I think my biggest concern is actually how it would affect resale value.

There are something like a million and one of those for sale without the doubt hanging over them.

Walk away from it and find another one.

Soldato
I think my biggest concern is actually how it would affect resale value.

Good point. Plenty of people, myself included, would walk away if there's the slightest issue on the HPI so I wouldn't be surprised if you have trouble selling it on.

I know it's exciting to get your first bike and hard to walk away from what looks like a nice, well looked after bike, but honestly as atpbx said there's plenty out there they will pass HPI without a problem so you wouldn't need to give it second thoughts.

If I was buying my first big bike I'd also struggle to walk away from this despite a failed HPI check and would also look for reasons why it isn't dodgy. I know what it's like :)

[Edit]
Also, as far as security goes, I'd recommend a decent disc lock for when you take it out. Light, easy to carry, quick to put on and can survive a simple cropping attack because there's nowhere to grip on it. Granted it won't help if they lift it into a van, but it'll certainly stop or deter wheeling it away. If you have something solid you can lock it to (at work or wherever) then get a chain.

Wait, you're friends with loads of mods. Are you a spy? ¬.¬

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Haha, I used to be an underboss when I had more free time.

I think I'm leaning towards spending 1K on something from a trader that just runs, as I'll be chucking it in 6 months anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Well I have my Swiss bike sorted, just need to choose a UK one!

StreetTriple.jpg

StreetTriple_Olivier.jpg

My girlfriend and her brother surprised me with this (don't worry, I still I have to pay for it!) on Satuirday!

350KM later and my cheeks hurt from grinning.

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
I think I'm leaning towards spending 1K on something from a trader that just runs, as I'll be chucking it in 6 months anyway.

Your not going to get much of a bike from a dealer for a grand tbh, well not some thing your going to want to own for 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom