So I want to start using Linux...

Soldato
By the looks of things I wont be able to use this drive as Vista and programs are just taking up too much space. So I'm going to have to use another drive. Which complicates things.

Also I have a problem when booting the disc. If I select Start/Install it does something then my screen goes into standby mode.

You need the text based i386 installer

This happened to me too.

Soldato
By the sounds of things you'll just end up using Vista and neglecting Linux, other than to have a tinker I dont really think its viable for you - with your need for winamp, CS3 and Office 2007.

Soldato
OP
if you don't want to learn the command line you'll be missing out on the heart of linux.

i'd stick with XP if you have that attitude.

While I know its the heart of linux. With Dell shipping their machines with it I would have thought people would have to do without using command line for the basics. Just like I don't have to use command prompt in XP or Vista. It's there should I need it, but it's not a necessity.

I just want a OS which is completely skimmed down or all the crap I don't need. XP is still chucked full of features I don't need. I'm not saying command line is something I don't want to have to use when working on Linux but I shouldn't need to go through the hassle of using it to install it as a first time user. Well what with the all the news about the EEEE PC and the OLPC I'm just assuming this.

Soldato
While I know its the heart of linux. With Dell shipping their machines with it I would have thought people would have to do without using command line for the basics. Just like I don't have to use command prompt in XP or Vista. It's there should I need it, but it's not a necessity.

I just want a OS which is completely skimmed down or all the crap I don't need. XP is still chucked full of features I don't need. I'm not saying command line is something I don't want to have to use when working on Linux but I shouldn't need to go through the hassle of using it to install it as a first time user. Well what with the all the news about the EEEE PC and the OLPC I'm just assuming this.

The text based installer is not a command line installer. I think you misunderstand. It just uses text menus instead of graphical menus.

Soldato
I just want a OS which is completely skimmed down or all the crap I don't need. XP is still chucked full of features I don't need.

Like Windows, Ubuntu is stuffed to the rafters with features that you don't need. It's a bloated pig ( imo ) that takes ages to boot up. That's what happens when a distribution tries to be all things to all people.

If you want slim, there is no avoiding the command line. :p

You could go with an ultra-slim, ultra-fast distro like Damn Small Linux but you would still need the command line to install apps.

Soldato
OP
I used Gentoox (I think) when I was doing a IT course and it allowed you to install packages etc, I assumed this was so you could customise what you wanted and what you didn't? Because I think I had to install a network package before I could setup a LAN. I can't remember it was 2 years ago.

Soldato
No but really I shouldn't need to. It should be a simple problem and probably has something to do with my graphics card or resolution.

Also I have no idea how to use commands in linux so I won't be going there. If it doesn't work with a graphical interface it isn't worth it.
What graphics card have you got? With my 8800GT I need to modify the boot up parameters and remove the "splash" parameter, in order to make it boot. It's not hard - it takes 3 seconds to do, once you know how.

Depending on the card you've got, you may need to do the same. Alternatively, you should be OK if you use the text based installer, if you don't mind using up another CD.

Soldato
OP
ATI X800 XT PE. Boot up parameters is the F6 button, I had a gander at that but didn't have a clue. But I might as well give it a shot. So just delete splash from it then?

You say don't mind using another CD... but I'm so low on them and skint it's depressingly true lol.

Soldato
OP
Yey I'm posting from Konqueror. Just needed to remove the splash part like you said. Strange though because I assume it's just running off the disc as I never got any installation options.

I would have edited my post instead of a new post but for some reason I can't edit it. I assume it must be because javas missing or something... I dunno...

So now I just need to setup a partition on another drive. Is it possible to dual boot with Vista on one drive and Kubuntu on another?

Soldato
Yey I'm posting from Konqueror. Just needed to remove the splash part like you said. Strange though because I assume it's just running off the disc as I never got any installation options.

I would have edited my post instead of a new post but for some reason I can't edit it. I assume it must be because javas missing or something... I dunno...

So now I just need to setup a partition on another drive. Is it possible to dual boot with Vista on one drive and Kubuntu on another?

Yes I am doing that.

It auto-detects vista during install.

Soldato
OP
kool beans. However I think Vista knows what I am doing as I'm getting a error when clicking shrink volume. So I can't make the partition smaller to make a new one. Grrrr

I had a problem when in Kubuntu though. I have 2 monitors and it picked my VGA one over my DVI one, when I went to change this it said I needed to logout and restart X server. Which I did but I was then shown the command line. So using my massive brain I typed "start gui" only to be told I need to be root.

I had no idea how to change to root lol. Some googling should sort that out though :p

Soldato

without knowing your system specs ubuntu might not be for you if you want minimal package installation and maximum speed, it's probably the slowest of all distros.

if you really want bleeding edge desktop speed in linux you want to build from the ground up ...and learn the shell :p:D

maybe Xubuntu if you want an easy install but less bloat.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AMD 3500+
MSI K8 Neo 2 Plat
X800 XT PE
74gb raptor
250gb WD
300gb WD
1GB OCZ

Want to upgrade sooooo bad.

I'm going to give Kubuntu a go first. I have a feeling I will probably slowly move to linux and then try out new things with it. The thing is I hate being dependent on Windows. I don't want to have to be tied to a OS. Especially something like Vista.

Soldato
sorry i meant Xubuntu, uses a more resource friendly desktop environment than either Kubuntu/Ubuntu.

but yeh with 1gb of memory i can see why you hate Vista.

Soldato
OP
I turned off my pagefile to see if I could defrag better...

Restart and windows says I'm running a pirate copy, aero doesn't work, startup programs wont run, in fact nothing will run and I cant even open up explorer to turn the pagefile back on. After some messing I managed to get it back but I was about to throw in the towl.

Back
Top Bottom