So I want to start using Linux...

Soldato
OP
Hi,

I used my other screen, used the x64 live disc and managed to sort out partitions.

I then used the x64 alt disc and tried to install. However it couldn't complete because a error with "linux-generic".

This left me without a working OS (assume just a boot file for vista)

I booted back into the live disc. Installed from there. Restart, load but then I get no display because its trying to load the "splash".

Boot into safe (w/e its called) mode and type "startx". This gets it going. But I'm still left without my main display working right. Also I was clicking about and went to "system settings" / Advanced / System services but I get a error telling me it could not be loaded. Now I know it's probably easy to install the package... but could this mean my install isn't 100% correct?

Off to bed now. Was adamant to get something working lol. I'm getting there slowly.

Soldato
OP
WOOOOHOOOOO

I'm using Ubuntu :D

OK so I have questions.

1) There are probably programs I NEED. For instance I don't have MP3 playback :s
2) Is Firefox 3 called Gran Paradiso? Because I used that cool program which downloads programs etc and found firefox 3 but I can't find it in the application list.
3) How do I get the most out of this bad boy? Cool graphic effects etc.
4) Is all my hardware supported now? Windows has device manager which tells me what's not installed properly. Does Ubuntu have the same?
5) My graphics card. So far I haven't touched any graphics drivers or anything with this install but I assume I should.
6) App settings. In Vista you have users/local/ and your app settings. What does ubuntu have? Can I copy over my firefox and thunderbird app folders from vista over to ubuntu and then all my plugins, bookmarks and settings will be here?
7) Anything else?

I'm so chuffed right now. It's so nice to use a smart and quick OS. I love the package manager thing as well. So easy to use. YEY!

Man of Honour
Soldato
3) YTou'll need to install graphics drivers first for this unless you have integrated Intel graphics.
4) For the most part everything should be picked up automatically. The major exceptions to this are wireless network cards and graphics cards.
5) What graphics card do you have?

4 and 5) Does the restricted drivers manager work for you?

6) On Unix-like systems like Ubuntu Linux most settings specific to your user are held in hidden directories and files in your home directory. They all start with a .

Your firefox profile is portable from windows. Copy it and rename it in the proper place in .mozilla

Soldato
OP
I have a ATI X800 XT PE

Yes the Restricted drivers does work. The only thing appearing is "ATI accelerated graphics driver" which is not enabled.

Thanks for the help :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
Well enable it and see how it goes. Once it's done and you've rebooted open up a terminal and type glxinfo. Look for the bit that mentions Direct Rendering. You want this to say yes. If it does, enter glxgears to test 3D rendering. It should look nice and smooth, not like a slide show.

EDIT: Technically speaking rebooting is not necessary, but it's probably easier for you to do that rather than manually load the kernel module.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well enable it and see how it goes. Once it's done and you've rebooted open up a terminal and type glxinfo. Look for the bit that mentions Direct Rendering. You want this to say yes. If it does, enter glxgears to test 3D rendering. It should look nice and smooth, not like a slide show.

EDIT: Technically speaking rebooting is not necessary, but it's probably easier for you to do that rather than manually load the kernel module.

OK all that works but my res isn't right. When I go to generic LCD, 1680 x 1050 and test it I get no display and I have to restart.

Soldato
Here's my glxinfo printout.

susan@susans-desktop:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_OML_swap_method,
GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_hyperpipe,
GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
client glx vendor string: ATI
client glx version string: 1.3
client glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_ARB_multisample,
GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float, GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX version: 1.2
GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
GLX_ARB_multisample
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X700 PRO
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

Well... half of it anyway.

NONE of my wizzbang effects work. when trying to select them it just says The Composite extension is not available

I used to have an X800 in this machine running debian64 but that card caught fire.. so I replaced it with an old X700. This caused all sorts of weird glitches in debian so I wiped it and installed Ubuntu i386. Even though the restricted driver is being used I still get that message.

I just put it down to ati being a No Swearing! choice for linux.

susan@susans-desktop:~$ glxgears
18754 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3750.750 FPS
22548 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4509.432 FPS
22547 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4509.303 FPS
22544 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4508.742 FPS
22550 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4509.934 FPS
22462 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4492.242 FPS
22553 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4510.500 FPS

Nice & smooth

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Envy is doing its thing at the moment. Hope it sorts the problem out.

Removable hardrives. How do I get them detected in Ubuntu when I plug them in?

Also my mouse. How do I configure the buttons? It's a Logitech MX1000. Would like to get the forward, back, application switch buttons working.

Soldato
OP
Got the res right but I don't know if its using the right driver. At the moment it's using fglrx. But there are others such as Radeon, Radeon (fbdev), Radeon (fglrx), Radeon (vesa) etc.

Associate
Hard drives should auto configure.

I've never used Envy or tried to configure the mouse ( I use a trackball)

If it doesn't, there may be an issue with either:

1) USB ports (unlikely)
2) group membership (is there a "storage" group that you need to add yourself to?)
3) There is an issue with the HAL daemon itself.

Could be more, could be less... I don't use ubuntu and every distro is different - BillyTheImpaler could probably give a better insight.

Soldato
OP
My My Book seems to work fine now. Still a bit confused as to why hdds are picked up differently etc.

Some hdd questions:

1) My boot hdd with Vista and Ubuntu on it. From Ubuntu I cant see my windows user /users/tobes/. I assume it's hidden but Ctrl+H doesn't show it.

2) My second "stuff" hdd with just loads of crap on it. I can't access it because Ubuntu is telling me it's in hibernation from Windows. Well it's not. I have restarted Vista but it hasn't done anything. How do I get access to this drive?

3) Mounting. What's it all about?

4) I keep hearing that using Ubuntu to modify files on NTFS drives is bad and shouldn't be done. So I'm obviously going to need to change these drives to something Ubuntu likes... but how do I do that? Should I copy the data over to my My book, format the drive and change the file system to ext3 then copy the data over?

Non hdd related. Do I use the SU command in Ubuntu? If so what's the password? Is there anything I should change since installing to make it more secure?

Soldato
Last thing first

Ubuntu uses sudo

Your password is the very same one you log in with.

Hard drives. Linux likes to play with everyone so you can (should) be able to see all your ntfs drives... RW*D

Windows Likes you to play its own way or its gonna take its ball back and not play anymore.

ie:

Linux can see & use Windows drives & files
Windows cant see Linux drives.

Associate
4) I keep hearing that using Ubuntu to modify files on NTFS drives is bad and shouldn't be done. So I'm obviously going to need to change these drives to something Ubuntu likes... but how do I do that? Should I copy the data over to my My book, format the drive and change the file system to ext3 then copy the data over?

it's fine to read and write to NTFS in ubuntu 7.10 gutsy or newer.

Soldato
OP
Excellent. One less hassle. Now just need to sort out read/write permissions.

So when I type su into the terminal and it asks for a password and mine doesn't work I should just ignore it and use sudo instead?

I just want to make it as secure as possible. That's a point. Linux doesn't NEED anti virus right?

Associate
2) My second "stuff" hdd with just loads of crap on it. I can't access it because Ubuntu is telling me it's in hibernation from Windows. Well it's not. I have restarted Vista but it hasn't done anything. How do I get access to this drive?
Vista by default hibernates the box and doesn't shut it down - you need to select shut down instead of the power button on the start menu.

3) Mounting. What's it all about?
*nix operating systems have a hierarchical folder structure (a bit like mounting new drives to NTFS folders. As there are no C:\ or D:\, drives have to be mounted onto folders. Unlike NTFS though - these folders don't have to be empty...

Up to you, really. I used ntfs-3g a while back and didn't have any issues - but I have heard of some. For me, a filesystem really needs to be 100% solid - so I don't use it. Options are really reiserfs or ext3. I use both and both have their merits.

Non hdd related. Do I use the SU command in Ubuntu? If so what's the password? Is there anything I should change since installing to make it more secure?

Code:
$ sudo passwd root
 <enter new password for root - don't forget this!!>
$ su -
# apt-get remove sudo
OR
Code:
$ sudo visudo

and REMOVE the grace period. Sudo with it's default configuration is not secure.

I just want to make it as secure as possible. That's a point. Linux doesn't NEED anti virus right?
Correct. There are AV scanners for linux, but they really just scan for windows viruses so they don't get passed on. if there is one in an email, etc - it's not going to infect your box :)

You might want to look into a firewall as well then (iptables for example)

outcast said:
Windows Likes you to play its own way or its gonna take its ball back and not play anymore.

ie:

Linux can see & use Windows drives & files
Windows cant see Linux drives.
Not strictly true... there are third party drivers out there which give full read/write support to ext2/3. Most are **** - but a friend has one on his dual boot windows/gentoo box and I have seen it working (large drives as well, with no mucking about in the registry increasing pool sizes).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vista by default hibernates the box and doesn't shut it down - you need to select shut down instead of the power button on the start menu.

Yeah I know. Always shutdown from the start menu ">". So I know it's shutting down.

Code:
$ sudo passwd root
 <enter new password for root - don't forget this!!>
$ su -
# apt-get remove sudo
[/code]

I did this one and it removed around 100mb of stuff. Gnome closed and I had to restart. On boot I got this error "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet".

and REMOVE the grace period.
Dunno what that is.

Cheers for your help though. Haven't booted into windows once today. Although I can't get uTorrent connecting to trackers under Wine and I love uTorrent so much.

EDIT: Oh and I don't have permissions to access internal hardrives or something like that. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom