So I want to start using Linux...

Associate
I did this one and it removed around 100mb of stuff. Gnome closed and I had to restart. On boot I got this error "The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:GNOME_FastUserSwitchApplet".
wtf?? sudo is at an absolute max 2 megs... If Ubuntu requires it so much that it's a dependency of gnome (if that's the case, ubuntu is sick and wrong!) - best reinstall it and remove the grace period from sudo.
EDIT: Actually - it looks like a desktop applet requires sudo. no biggie, unless you want that applet. I would remove it and get something which is coded properly.
Dunno what that is.
it's the length of time that your uuid has effective root permissions. should be as low as possible (but not 0). Also look into the tty_tickets option.
Code:
$ man visudo

Cheers for your help though. Haven't booted into windows once today. Although I can't get uTorrent connecting to trackers under Wine and I love uTorrent so much.
depends... utorrent through wine takes a while to kick off - but if you have a firewall set up (i don't know if ubuntu has one by default), then that may cause you issues.
EDIT: Oh and I don't have permissions to access internal hardrives or something like that. Any ideas?
Can you be a bit more specific? do you get an error message when trying to mount?
Code:
# mount /dev/<your_disk> /<where_you_want_to_mount_it> -t <filesystem_type_if_it's_not_in_fstab>
if that fails, post the output from
Code:
$ dmesg | tail
(which outputs the last 10 lines of dmesg)

EDIT2: very nice avatar btw :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Forget uTorrent.

KTorrent is much better imo.

sudo apt-get install ktorrent

or use add/remove at the bottom of applications (or even synaptic)
1616146653_b1963ca5c4_o.gif

Ktorrent.Org <----- check out the screenies.

Oh.. dont worry about it saying for kde... It works on gnome too.

Soldato
OP
Pfft, I'm using mine to download Snuff!

Yeah now that's got you thinking about what kinda guy I am... lol.

Ok well I booted into Vista today to do some torrent stuff and check that it's working. Will boot back into Ubuntu in a sec. I have been using Evolution for my mail client as it's miles better than Thunderbird. I have my IMAP gmail account on it but for some reason Evolution isn't deleting mail from the server. It's just treating it like POP and downloading the messages then deleting them locally.

Soldato
Envy is doing its thing at the moment. Hope it sorts the problem out.

Removable hardrives. How do I get them detected in Ubuntu when I plug them in?

Also my mouse. How do I configure the buttons? It's a Logitech MX1000. Would like to get the forward, back, application switch buttons working.

go to ubuntuforums.org and use there search facility, 'logitech mx1000' should return some results. I had to edit config files to get mine to work. xorg.conf I think

Associate
ja - as above, you can edit xorg.conf to get your mouse working properly, or you can use xmodmap [depreciated - but still works]

Soldato
OP
I'm bumping this up to give you guys a update.

I stopped using ubuntu as effects, videos etc just didn't play well with my gfx card.

Today I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 X64. I removed splash from the line and I have installed it fine.

After install it reboots as it should. Only I am presented with the same black screen and blinking keyboard lights as I get when "splash" is in the boot line.

I have found out how to edit the boot perimeters and I removed splash from the line but still no luck.

After more searching I have found this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/86666

If you have the time read through it. As a novice I can just about understand some of it but I just get lost. What annoys me is this bug was posted over a year ago. I understand it may be something which can't be fixed because of ATI drivers but it just seems to stupid that there is no fix which I can see.

They seem to say something about changing VGA... I'm using DVI though so have no idea if that makes the problem worse.

Hope someone can help. I actually miss Ubuntu lol.

Thanks,
Tobes

Back
Top Bottom