So I want to treat myself...

Soldato
Its not outright speed I'm looking for. You are right very few cars can compete with the acceleration and speed of sportsbikes. I've been there and done that though and I actually prefer big twins to screaming 4s, I have a 1290 Adventure R as my daily ride as such and 1290 Superduke for when I want to be a bit naughty. I think that might be what makes me want a V8 though, its the grunt rather than some high revving engine that appeals.
I totally get this, look for an involved analogue experience that’s sadly missing in modern cars.
Whilst a Porsche Cayman flatters the driver, anyone can feel like a super hero, the old Z4 is only as good as the driver exactly like a motorbike.
Combine this with the glorious S54 engine, probably one of BMWs all time greats it’s a winner.
The only problem being they are hard work when you’re not in the mood for it.
That’s where I’m coming from anyway, works for me and I’ve no desire now for anything faster or more exotic.

https://youtu.be/CbE2BC97Wh4?si=zG5MI3lf58NrdNzA

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking for a while at similar budget and needs while I wait for the Nomad

I've been looking at the Lotus Evora, Elise S, Cayman 981, M2 Comp and Lexus RCF. All approved used just for peace of mind, but those were where I kept going back and looking.

Soldato
Personally I'd be looking at an interesting engine in your position.

V8 Supercharged Jags aren't going to be around for ever.

It's why I went for my Z4 over other options when I was looking for something in the £10k region but similar requirements, I'd never had a big capacity 6 cylinder engine and I wanted to tick that off before all petrol engines are highly efficient 4 pots or it's electric.

Man of Honour
I totally get this, look for an involved analogue experience that’s sadly missing in modern cars.
Whilst a Porsche Cayman flatters the driver, anyone can feel like a super hero, the old Z4 is only as good as the driver exactly like a motorbike.

There isn't anything analogue about any Z4. The accelerator connection to the ECU is entirely digital, it's fitted with dynamic stability control and various other bits of safety technology and it was released at a time when forums like this where full of people saying the same thing 'oh new cars are so bad, proper old cars are best'.

It even has electric power steering!

I can't think of anything about the Porsche that would make it less of a proper drivers car than the Z4 - you could probably argue the exact opposite in that the Porsche has always been the better drivers car than the Z4.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Z4 is not an absolute weapon of a driver's car that involves you at every point by any stretch.

By that metric, almost every car I've owned beats it down to a Twingo RS133 which was an absolute hoot.

Do I enjoy driving at 8/10ths but with a big engine, and actually a very comfortable place to be for long distances, in comparison to those cars, absolutely, now I'm getting on a bit and hitting the apex on a b road isn't the be all and end all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Of those listed, I'd look into the F Type. I'm not a big coupe fan but I do like the F Type.

Wouldn't want the 'stang although I assume it to be a less salubrious version of the F Type and far less likely to go wrong (JLR etc)

Of the Ms, I fancied a M2 for a while. Had ideas of taking myself off to Nurburgring in the M2 (rather than my A/C-less Evo IX) and arriving in comfort and not a hot sweaty mess. 3 and 4 not really interested.

Would pass on the TT personally. A friend is looking at R8s mind - probably early V8s more for the road presence of the R8 rather than anything else.

I like the F-Type a lot to be fair - the later charged V8s seem to be all AWD though. I'd have to drive a few to see if I care AWD vs RWD. I've got the seats and digital dash similar to the F Type in my I Pace so I'm almost there :D

Soldato
There isn't anything analogue about any Z4. The accelerator connection to the ECU is entirely digital, it's fitted with dynamic stability control and various other bits of safety technology and it was released at a time when forums like this where full of people saying the same thing 'oh new cars are so bad, proper old cars are best'.

It even has electric power steering!

I can't think of anything about the Porsche that would make it less of a proper drivers car than the Z4 - you could probably argue the exact opposite in that the Porsche has always been the better drivers car than the Z4.
This is a totally unfair comparison and it has been from the first day, the boxster / cayman are mid engined sports cars, the Z4 is a more traditional large 6 cylinder front engine RWD, not unlike the classic British Triumphs in the day. (TR5 TR6)
I have owned a Westfield, driven an Elise S2 I know what good steering feels like (owned classic minis infact)
The Z4 steering is nothing like as poor as it was made out, infact it weights up nicely when driven in a sporting manner, if the steering doesn’t speak to you the chassis screams at you so lack of feel is an utterly moot point.
For many these cars were the last decent (drivers) car BMW made.
The Porsche is easier to drive (and more capable for most drivers) but I would argue the BMW is more of a challenge and more rewarding on the right road.

Last edited:
Associate
I've owned a m2c and an m4c and preferred the m2, much more nimble/lighter, quicker around donny and the weight just felt right, i did end up tuning it to 555bhp (through lichfield) and did about 30 trackdays in it in the end, both were good fun but i miss the m2c more.

If it were my money and I could get an A110 in that budget id stop looking any further...

Soldato
This is a totally unfair comparison and it has been from the first day, the boxster / cayman are mid engined sports cars, the Z4 is a more traditional large 6 cylinder front engine RWD, not unlike the classic British Triumphs in the day. (TR5 TR6)
I have owned a Westfield, driven an Elise S2 I know what good steering feels like (owned classic minis infact)
The Z4 steering is nothing like as poor as it was made out, infact it weights up nicely when driven in a sporting manner, if the steering doesn’t speak to you the chassis screams at you so lack of feel is an utterly moot point.
For many these cars were the last decent (drivers) car BMW made.
The Porsche is easier to drive (and more capable for most drivers) but I would argue the BMW is more of a challenge and more rewarding on the right road.
How is it unfair comparison when the thread is about comparing options for the OP? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom