So I've been posting on these forums for 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Give or take a month or two, I can't remember the exact date. :) And before anyone points out my Join date, there was a big Forum nuke in October 2002 :p

Thought I'd reminisce a little and post things that have changed in that time... I apologise in advance for any mistakes, I've only just realised it has been ten years, so this reminiscing is "as I type". :)

Computer hardware.
The "must have" CPU of the day was the AMD 1.4GHz "Thunderbird".
Coupled with 512MB of RAM - an amount considered more than ample! - and a GFX card such as a GeForce4 Ti4400 and you were considered to own a machine of pwnage!
If you owned a TFT you were considered pretentious, and extravagant. :)

Internet Connectivity.

ADSL and Cable were just beginning mass roll out.
Waiting for 2months+ to have your line connected, and ritually saying goodbye to your 56k modem was a joyous occasion. Many took time off work to enjoy the "lag free" gaming. Well, I did. :p
Wikipedia had just been launched was almost barren of information. You actually had to search for your information and references yourself :p
Google was the "new and hip" way to search the web. Yahoo still dominated search stats.
MSN Messenger was firmly the "must use" IM.

Gaming
Counterstrike was the "must play" game on-line.
CS1.3 had just been released, and caused quite a stir.
Q3 and UT were still going strong, but CS really dominated the online community.
Battlefield 1942 was yet to be released.
WoW was un-heard of.

Politics (well, what I can remember of them from then)
Labour were of course still in charge, a year after they were re-elected, lead by Tony Blair.
Apparently the economy was "booming", some voiced concern, but were largely ignored.

No wars to really speak of.
Some concern over China and North Korea, but nothing out of the ordinary. The World Trade Centre still standing at this point, of course.

The Media
"Chavs" were the up-and-coming hate-fad.
That and the soon-to-be-broadcast "Pop Idol". :(

These Forums
Characters like MindYerBeak, 2Blue4u, EyeDot, LostKat, Balddog etc in the "LNSA".
Animated (and bigger) sigs allowed.
Guns as avatars.

Me
I was a very different person 10 years ago.
I'd not long had myself a job in a large multi-national company, still filled with hope and determination (that was soon after destroyed by the same company) to succeed in life.
Angry. Angry a lot of the time. Very cocky, too.
Relatively care-free.

If anyone else wants to post memories, please do :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I initially registered when I ordered my first overclocked CPU, a celeron 400 or something like that, im not sure when it was but i think it must have been about 99/2000. When did the forum start?

Actually thinking about it, I think I ordered that from The Overclocking Store, and I signed up when I split that pc, the for sale forum was open to all at that time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I joined about the same time too. Strange to think I've been a member here for over 1/3rd of my life.

MindYerBeak, now there's a name from the past :)

10 years ago I'd just got my first job and was looking to buy a new PC, hence why I found the place.

Since then I've had numerous other jobs, still doing the same thing. Found a new girlfriend. Moved out of parents house, rented a flat. Bought a car. Sold flat, bought a house. Married said girlfriend. And had a daughter.

Time flies.

Last edited:
Associate
Its my 10th anniversary on these forums as well this year. Built my first PC with the help of some of the guys here.

The weird thing is, I certainly don't feel 10 years older, although the grey hairs/bad back/growing waistline may argue otherwise.

Anyway, my grand tech memory of the time was the Nokia 6310. Not my first mobile, but the first provided to me by my employer. And what a beast of a phone, even had copy and paste 5 years before Apple claimed it was the greatest thing since sliced bread:p And the original Snake game, how many hours did I waste on that!! My SGS2 is arriving any minute now, so seems an apt time to reminisce on some of my previous phones.

lcg

lcg

Associate
I wish I'd known about this place then :p I didn't come to this site until 2005, and it wasn't until 2008 I realised there was a forum!

Soldato
I joined in 2000 sometime on a different account but didn't use the forum for ages after joining. I'd forgotten my login in details when I did eventually return and my old Freeserve email had expired so I couldn't retrieve the login details. So I ended up creating this new account instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been posting for 10 years but for some strange reason my account says 2006. Even though I have/had posts that date back older then that.

Soldato
I joined the forum when the new AMD Athlon 500 cartridges (SlotA?) came out and they were being pre-soldered to heady speeds as 650Mhz - 750Mhz - before the "golden finger device" was available.

Fast forward a bit I remember the stir Gibbo caused with his AXIA TBird hitting 1Ghz. I remember getting a AXIA stepping and even naming a female Ultima Online character (a theif :p) after it.

I cant remember original account name(s), then I went into hibernation - lets just say it rhymes with "f"exus and I was reviewing Ti4600 gfx cards :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom