So I've been posting on these forums for 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
lol that so fugly :D
i bet at the time you thought it looked awesome aswell :D

i remember when those fulltower cheiftechs with the grilled front were all the rage had one and boy did they seem ugly pretty fast.

ive got a nice classic looking silver lian-li a71a full tower right now stuff as i know it will never seem ugly, i think ive owned it for close to 4 years and it still looks pretty nice to me
There was no steam.
and i think only 1 competitor ?
i remember the article about ocuk selling cpu+mobo+ram bundles that pc format did not long after i think water cooling started and al the magazines were acting like watercooling was some myth lol

Associate
I'm nearly 10 years in now aswell. Introduced to the forum by Carzy (not sure if he still posts) as we was in a CS clan together lol. Those where the days.

I was 14 when I joined, I sometimes wonder if this forum has moulded me as a person. For example Gordys thread in sports forum was the main reason I started to go to the gym. I've been trying on and off for 3 years now, can bench 1.5 my body weight and squat around the same. I wouldn't have done any of it if not for Gordys thread, advice from the likes of freefaller, morba, benny etc.

Funny things I can remember, a thread where someone punched a wall through and someone posted a picture of the incredible hulk and labelled it an artists impression of the culprit. A forum member called something like mspiggy that everyone loved. (OMGZ GIRL), Spie buying a Ferrari. The motors forum loving mondeos more than anything because fox said so then when he moved to BMW so did the forum. Thats it off the top of my head.

The forum has taught me a lot thats for sure.

Man of Honour
An order from 2001:

ocuk2001.jpg

Those were the days. :D

Man of Honour
Good post that :) I didn't know about the guns. Ten years ago... I was 33 and thought i was past it then :p I used to read these boards from the outside and came in a year after the big nuke and even then quite tentatively. The various meets I attended certainly gave me a bigger aspect to life outside anything I would normally have done. I'm glad and better off for it.

Associate
Well this is a memory jog and a half!! I've been here since pre nuke, think 2000 or round there.

I remember having to do the unlock mod on my AMD Thunderbird, and learnt how to do it from these very forums.

At the time, I had ISDN internet access, a T Bird oc'd to 1400mhz, 256mb ram, case from prior in this thread, with a voodoo 2 gfx card. Use to play CS and UT for hours on end, and with there not being masses of people on ADSL or ISDN the lag was lethal at times!

My my how things have changed, the forum nuke from what I remember had a day or two where the forum page was chenged to a pic of an atomic explosion if I remember correctly?

I remember some people from before the nuke, but never really got interested in posting here, would ask odd q's and answers were always helpful.

Soldato
I joint in the days when a 1Ghz AXIA Thunderbird and a Thermoengine heat sink ment you were at the cutting edge of overclocking ;)

Havent done much in the way of posting, though I browse pretty much every day...

Associate
I've been a member under this username since 2003, and was posting before that under a different one before getting a ban which I fet very agrieved about at the time I seem to remember..

Anyways talking of olden days, anyone else remember that awful sound of crushing an AMD cpu of some description by putting the HSF on incorrectly ?

Almost as bad as the sound of kerbing your new alloy wheels..!

Soldato
Give or take a month or two, I can't remember the exact date. :) And before anyone points out my Join date, there was a big Forum nuke in October 2002 :p

Thought I'd reminisce a little and post things that have changed in that time... I apologise in advance for any mistakes, I've only just realised it has been ten years, so this reminiscing is "as I type". :)

Internet Connectivity.

ADSL and Cable were just beginning mass roll out.
Waiting for 2months+ to have your line connected, and ritually saying goodbye to your 56k modem was a joyous occasion. Many took time off work to enjoy the "lag free" gaming. Well, I did. :p
Wikipedia had just been launched was almost barren of information. You actually had to search for your information and references yourself :p
Google was the "new and hip" way to search the web. Yahoo still dominated search stats.
MSN Messenger was firmly the "must use" IM.

Me
I was a very different person 10 years ago.
I'd not long had myself a job in a large multi-national company, still filled with hope and determination (that was soon after destroyed by the same company) to succeed in life.
Angry. Angry a lot of the time. Very cocky, too.
Relatively care-free.

If anyone else wants to post memories, please do :)

I also remember the adsl, paying £500 install fee lol and the green froglol.

Also remember taking days off work to play UT haha

Soldato
I remember someone bringing a PC in to my primary school (I am now 26 this must have been when I was 9 or 10) in the days when PC's had a turbo button, woooooo

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox;19315808 said:
I would post memories but they will be exactly the same as yours as I registered in March 01 I think :p

90% of your memories would be how you told everyone they're wrong though in motors :o:D

Remaining 10% being your endless GiffGaff woes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom