So Ive been scammed on Gumtree... what are my options?

Associate
Hi guys.

So yes im an idiot who sent money with gumtree.. now I know it was a stupid thing to do so I dont need reminding. Fact is Ive lost close to 400 notes. I asked for his address etc before hand and have his phone number and bank details. Where do I go from here? He has not responded to any of my calls or threats of getting the police involved. I believe he most probably used a fake name and address however I managed to find details of who he MIGHT be using google and the mobile number I was texting him on and even found said persons facebook (If it is him). The ad is still on Gumtree

So I know that my bank will not just chargeback the money i assume? Unless I ring them up and say there had been an unauthorized transaction?

It was a lot of money to me so obviously I really would like to get it back. As people like him will just carry on doing it

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers all

Unfortunately it was an authorized transaction.

The police would be the best bet if you can prove fraud(otherwise I think its a civil thing).

How long has it been?

Explain exactly what happened. Sadly these shysters probably do this a lot and know what they're doing. I'd say build up your own case and contact the rozzers. Short of that, well... good luck

I received absolutely nothing... what I was meant to receive were two vintage turntables as gifts for my grandpa! It has been about 17 hours

Well 17 hours seems a bit short to be shouting fraud just yet, I know I can be solidly busy for 17 hours.

Why pay via bt? I thought gumtree was all cash on collection.

Unfortunately it was an authorized transaction.

The police would be the best bet if you can prove fraud(otherwise I think its a civil thing).

How long has it been?

I understand that. But what would stop someone hypothetically calling the bank and saying they had lost said card and that they want to cancel it/check if there had been any unauthorized use?

I know but it was meant to arrive here today. The last thing he said was he had received money and 10 texts/ 10 calls later he just lets it go to voicemail (he was very persistent to receive the money to get it posted asap) so I am 100% certain ive been duped

I understand that. But what would stop someone hypothetically calling the bank and saying they had lost said card and that they want to cancel it/check if there had been any unauthorized use?

But you did a bank transfer, not a card payment. So that wouldn't be much use.

The rational part of me says that 400 quid over the course of your life time is nothing and, whilst annoying and frustrating, is perhaps just One Of Those Things.

The not so rational part thinks about stupid vendettas and lawyers and ballache that you don't really need or want so why bother?

Chalk it up as a lesson.

Fraud?

I assume you sent the money via BT? So you did it online? (access logs) or you did it in a bank(CCTV).

I'm not trying to be a dick but another illegal thing isnt going to help.

Have you checked the tracking code?

[FnG]magnolia;26996318 said:
The rational part of me says that 400 quid over the course of your life time is nothing and, whilst annoying and frustrating, is perhaps just One Of Those Things.

The not so rational part thinks about stupid vendettas and lawyers and ballache that you don't really need or want so why bother?

Chalk it up as a lesson.

Whilst I do agree, this person shouldnt be allowed to carry on doing it.

Fraud?

I assume you sent the money via BT? So you did it online? (access logs) or you did it in a bank(CCTV).

I understand that... well he cut off communication the second I asked for the tracking code... if you mean for the posting of the goods?

And it was done via BT online

Fraud?

What the op was mulling over is probably an actual crime whereas the perp from the op has probably just got a civil bad debt, so I'd look into things before doing anything rash op.

I believe the name and address he gave me were both wrong. However I got lucky with a google search of the number that got me the name of the person who that number is registered to. And using 192 I can pay a tenner to get full details of said person. Ive also found him and his missus on facebook. I was thinking about texting him saying that I have his details and will be forwarding them on to the police but Iam not 100% sure it is him.

Iam also trying to contact him on an alternative number to try and get more details by saying I will collect it so dont want to spook him too much.

17 hours?

You mean you paid at 6pm yesterday?

You mean the post is supposed to arrive today after an after-6.00pm post?

You text/phoned 10 times and threatened the police in 17 hours?

I hope this isn't the case I assumed he meant 17 hours since the parcel hadn't turned up.

Back
Top Bottom