So Ive been scammed on Gumtree... what are my options?

Maybe he's busy with family and asleep.
Maybe he's been rushed into hospital.
Maybe he's sent the item and it's on the way.

You've left it less than a day and by the sounds of it you wern't keen on the transaction at all to be chasing them immediately. You've jumped the gun and started accusing fraud with no evidence, he could be a scammer but sending texts and calls straight after I would probably refund and refuse to sell to you.

Scratch that, my message took ages to write and posted above beat me...

Hi mate as you probably read it did turn out to be a scam. I have done plenty of sales on MM here and hundreds of online sales. I am far from keen I am quite a chilled buyer. I just had a bad feeling anyway and shouldve followed my gut. Turned out I was correct hence me being very keen!

:eek::eek: I know I know its me just getting all panicy. To be fair I havent sent a message ever containing an accusation. All messages sent have been very nice messages saying things like "is everything alright buddy? Havent heard anything from you yet so getting worried!"

I am only thinking outloud on here with regards to what if's scenarios

But why did you feel the need to send messages?

You find an item you want, you do your research and make a call if the seller is genuine. You then make payment and wait a reasonable amount of time to be delivered.

Why would you then send messages in between? It's nuts, he is probably fed up with you and wish he hadn't bothered!

Suggestion to the op, amend the op to include the fact that it has been found to be fraudulent by the GD squad, hopefully this will stop the thread getting filled with "funny" responses. I hope you get your cash back dude.

I find it incredible that despite countless fraud warnings in the form of news articles, emails, site banners and so on, people still send money to srangers on Gumtree...

There is a reason why it is a cash on collection service...

The last thing I sold on Gumtree was an iPad, a couple of people came, I met them in the hallway with a friend, handed them the iPad, they handed me the money, and I then disappeared into a side room briefly while they played with the iPad to check if the cash was genuine, then I came back, thanked them etc, and they left.

Can't be too careful.

Back
Top Bottom