So Ive been scammed on Gumtree... what are my options?

Sorry been a while but heres an update:

Obviously filed a report with fraud squad..not banking on anything with that. Barclays got back to me and said basically that because he closed the account and withdrew funds and they had no indication that it was a scam account..they basically arent giving me a penny.

The problem I see with that is the woman I was on the phone too before filing an official email complaint INSTANTLY saw it was a scam account and told me that it was within 10 seconds of me giving her his account number and sort code. So for her to identify it as a scam account that quickly would surely contradict what they are saying?

Also at the time I told her of the issue she didnt say anything about the funds being taken and the account being closed. So obviously in between the 7 days that I sent the official email and got their letter of response was when he did so. So because of that Im going to take it up further with the ombudsman and see what happens... ive already accepted the loss so any return is a bonus tbh.

Hi guys.

So yes im an idiot who sent money with gumtree.. now I know it was a stupid thing to do so I dont need reminding. Fact is Ive lost close to 400 notes. I asked for his address etc before hand and have his phone number and bank details. Where do I go from here? He has not responded to any of my calls or threats of getting the police involved. I believe he most probably used a fake name and address however I managed to find details of who he MIGHT be using google and the mobile number I was texting him on and even found said persons facebook (If it is him). The ad is still on Gumtree

So I know that my bank will not just chargeback the money i assume? Unless I ring them up and say there had been an unauthorized transaction?

It was a lot of money to me so obviously I really would like to get it back. As people like him will just carry on doing it

Any help or tips would be much appreciated!

Cheers all

I just cannot believe you send 400 sheets to a complete stranger who you have never met or know anything about.

No disrespect pal but you deserve to be shafted for sheer stupidity.

I just cannot believe you send 400 sheets to a complete stranger who you have never met or know anything about.

No disrespect pal but you deserve to be shafted for sheer stupidity.

Can you explain why the victim of a crime deserves to be blamed for it? I don't think that's one of the pillars of our legal system.

Back
Top Bottom