*** 4K Player Thread ***

Soldato
You were too damn quick :p

Sorry :o

I am a big fan of the original Ghostbusters and own just about every copy in every format including laser disc. I've heard good things in the 4K UHD review but I'm sceptical whether HDR does work well in an older movie. I already own the first blu-ray release and the remastered blu-ray release, and both upscale pretty well, but I'm really curious about the 4K UHD one if anyone knows.:)

Soldato
Sorry :o

I am a big fan of the original Ghostbusters and own just about every copy in every format including laser disc. I've heard good things in the 4K UHD review but I'm sceptical whether HDR does work well in an older movie. I already own the first blu-ray release and the remastered blu-ray release, and both upscale pretty well, but I'm really curious about the 4K UHD one if anyone knows.:)

Review here: http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/32338/ghostbusters4k.html

Soldato
I think if you watch it in mind that even though its 4k its not going to look as glossy or as sheen as say a Marvel film or a 2017 Digital blockbuster. I reckon it will look more like Groundhog Day 4k on Netflix as that still looks grainy how films used to look but with more colour and more detail.

Soldato
I have the original Ghostbusters on 4K and while its looks the best i have ever seen it i was kind of disappointed with the amount of grain present in the image.. Ghostbusters 2 does seem a little better though.

Soldato
ID4 was the same - older film stuff will tend to show up grain when re-scanned at 4K, it's a case of how much processing/softening they do on it afterward.

Soldato
Just finished watching Ghostbusters. Man the grain is bad. After a while you dont notice it but in a few scenes like outside in the corridor in Dana's apartment and dark scenes it sometimes shows. The first encounter in the library looks very colourful and detailed. The battle with Slimer is good too. Interesting to see the effects too after seeing so much modern CGI for the time they are damn good. To sum it up a lot more detail, a lot more colour but the grain.

The long wide shots look amazing. The battle at the end is pretty good too. What was interesting seeing the skyline/buildings with it being so clear its obviously a matte painting but the buildings are almost cartoony didnt even realise that till watching it in 4k HDR. Will watch Ghostbusters II to see what that is like another time.

Soldato
Further gb2 comments here
had not realised film camera used for newer version too,
GB- Panavision Cameras and Lenses
GB2- Panavision Panaflex Gold, Panavision C- and E-Series Lenses
does that mean gb2 was converted to HDR ?
the comments about limitations of SDR->HDR for GB1 are interesting - folks needing to back off the backlight

the real of fake 4k site seems unreliable
Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters 2 (1989) – This is the real deal. Everything was digitally shot in 4K or the original 35/70mm film negative was scanned in 4K and all
or ... a real or fake hdr site is needed ?

Soldato
I think it depends on the film stock .. but here was contradictory, maybe more relaible info on GB2

Ghostbusters was filmed digitally using the Arri Alexa XT camera at a resolution of 2.8K and was finished using a 2K Digital Intermediate (DI), which presumably formed the basis for this Ultra HD Blu-ray release. The film was upscaled to 3840 x 2160p and presented in widescreen 2.39:1 aspect ratio (actually it is 1.78:1 as there are plenty of instances of material seen ‘outside the frame’ in the black bars). The disc uses 10-bit video depth, a Wider Colour Gamut (WCG) and High Dynamic Range (HDR), and is encoded using the HEVC (H.265) codec. We reviewed the Region free US Ultra HD Blu-ray release of Ghostbusters on a Panasonic 65DX902B Ultra HD 4K TV with a Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player. We are reviewing the US release but the UK Ultra HD Blu-ray should be identical.

Detail, despite being an upscale, is excellent and beats the (included) Full HD Blu-ray with finite edges, from close up skin texture, to clothing weaves, to (most impressively) broader establishing shots of New York. Indeed many of the cityscape shots are hugely striking, with edges to windows, street markings, vehicles and people being far shaper and well defined in the Ultra HD presentation. The team's various equipment and thier messy labs look far more intricate as well.
FAF 6/7 was also a 2K DI I thought I read

Soldato
Those drug sequences in 4k HDR will look pretty good I imagine.
I remember the gattling gun scene in the hotel principally :)

Is there a logic, to only buy 4k discs that are genuine ? and for others stick to blu using inbuilt up-scale -
Samsung had their HDR+ capability for SDR->HDR , does that do a good job and are Panasonic/Sony planning similar ?
For HTPC's is there software that will do SDR->HDRfrom ripped blus

Ironically the new Pan UB400 have HDR->SDR converstors
Panasonic has also recognised that HDR content is generally unsuitable for watching in high ambient lighting, since the source signal is encoded in absolute luminance as code values, and most HDR TVs would max out their [Backlight] and [Contrast] settings in HDR mode, leaving little headroom for manoeuvre unlike SDR (whose video signal operates in relative luminance) where ...

Soldato
I remember the gattling gun scene in the hotel principally :)

Is there a logic, to only buy 4k discs that are genuine ? and for others stick to blu using inbuilt up-scale -
Samsung had their HDR+ capability for SDR->HDR , does that do a good job and are Panasonic/Sony planning similar ?
For HTPC's is there software that will do SDR->HDRfrom ripped blus

Ironically the new Pan UB400 have HDR->SDR converstors

Whilst you get less benefit from a 4K Bluray which has been upscaled from a 2K DI, the studio will always do a far better job of the upscaling than any domestic player could manage on the fly.

As for HDR, you can't replace missing information. Systems which claim to be able to convert SDR to HDR are just boosting colours and saturation artificially and are akin to the ghastly "football modes" most TVs ship with by default because it looks good to the average moron in a shop.

Soldato
As for HDR, you can't replace missing information. Systems which claim to be able to convert SDR to HDR are just boosting colours and saturation artificially and are akin to the ghastly "football modes" most TVs ship with by default because it looks good to the average moron in a shop.

agree completely, but indeed, that is what is on some of the released 4k discs (GB originals ?)
see how our ImageIQ® SDR-to-HDR upconversion
also algorithms for upconvert on an htpc are pretty advanced (but even with blu-4k disc price difference of £10, would have to buy many to offset htpcs cost)

Back
Top Bottom