So this morning I've decided to go cold turkey...

Soldato
OP
Thanks again!

Yes this is my fear, my 4 flatmates smoke and normally we all have our doors open to be more social but i think if i'm to stand any chance i'm going to have to keep my door closed.

Soldato
The best way of giving up is being 100% with yourself that you WANT to give up. Thats how I did it. Willpower.
If you really want to stop, you will.

Agreed. This is how I stopped...

I thought it would be the hardest thing I had ever done, but it wasn't so tough. As long as you truly want to stop, and you have enough willpower to overcome the cravings, you will be fine. As soon as quitting becomes a chore (ie if you're doing it for someone else's reasons rather than your own) it becomes an almost impossible task.

Associate
Thanks again!

Yes this is my fear, my 4 flatmates smoke and normally we all have our doors open to be more social but i think if i'm to stand any chance i'm going to have to keep my door closed.

To be honest, if you can not light up when others all around you are, then you'll find it no problem at all!

Soldato
I became a non smoker about erm... 6 months ago. I'd tried a few times before, but this time I really wanted to give up. I think thats the key. You get to a point where you dont want a cigarette.

Dont see it as giving something up, but gaining something back... your health, your money, your taste buds, your sense of smell etc.

You can do it... as long as you want to.

Permabanned
I only smoke a few a day but still can't give up, rather than going cold turkey i am doing it one fag at a time, I am now no longer having my usual lunch time fag, instead just in the evenings.

cold turkey looks to painful, best to be gradual imo.

Do the cravings totally stop is it like you have never smoked or do you long term quitters still get cravings?

also how bad is say 4 rollups a day? If I was to keep doing it for a few years and then quit would i make a full recovery?

I kinda like it, it isn't purely addiction.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to smoke about 20 a day (+ other stuff) but quit nearly 3 years ago. My trick to quitting; Apples. when you need a fag, eat and apple instead. It helps keep your mouth and hands busy for about the same amount of time as a smoke would and has the added bonus of being healthy. Make sure you get fairly small apples though as you start feeling a bit full after 20 large apples. :)

Last edited:
Permabanned

lol. To be honest it just sounds like you've convinced yourself of this in your mind just so you can keep on smoking. At some point you're going to have to stop completely and it will be just as painful as going cold turkey.

Permabanned

lol. To be honest it just sounds like you've convinced yourself of this in your mind just so you can keep on smoking. At some point you're going to have to stop completely and it will be just as painful as going cold turkey from day 1.

Caporegime
lol, i somehow never get addicted to smoking, i do it when i want to, in however much quantity i need and thats it. i have one now and then, at uni i'd often want to smoke while drinking, and i'd do a 20 deck, couple times went mad and would have a couple packs in a long day/night. i have no idea why, i'm completely addicted to diet coke, or more like, the caffeine. i get headaches if i don't have caffeine every day now. i have cut down to almost nothing before, but i like caffeine and coke so don't much care, hate coffee though.

but thats the problem with addiction, not will power, physical systems IMHO are the thing thats hard. quitting caffeine will cause headaches, just doesn't seem worth it. for some people they'd not have issues quitting caffeine, but cig's would give them a physical issue that makes it not seem worthwhile. we're all different.

point is, everyone has a problem quitting something. if you're having physical symptoms quitting then cold turkey is definately not the way to go, gradual slow down and eventually stopping would be the way. if you're lucky, like me, and get no physical issues going cold turkey then that will be easiest.

one of the biggest problems is when people have a cigarette they feel overly bad about doing it, like they've completely failed, and since they've failed they stop trying anymore.

so what if you have a cigarette when you're trying to quit, you didn't just run over a kid, its not really that bad at all, keep going.

Permabanned
I just feel not very relaxed, kind of figety, like i need to do something and after i have had my rolley i feel fine. :D there is no addiction here :)

Associate
Winners never quit, and quitters never win. ;)

Good luck tho pal, I ought to quit, but frankly I'm just not motivated to. The way I look at it, non smokers die everyday as well.

Soldato
Seeing this today as made me think, as i recently came back to my flat where i could smell stale smoke.

I'm going to have my last rollie now. I'm going to do it, i want to, i need to. I have a large wound at the moment which isn't healing and requires medical attention every day. Apparently, smoking slows healing down.

Soldato
Smoked it, last one, I'm going to do this.

Quite a bit of tobacco left in pouch, but its going none the less. Being absolutely skint with only a couple of quid to my name until Friday, it's going to hurt more so, i wish i hadn't bought it.

Associate
i just stopped,had been 20 a day for 22 years and i quit in feb.
tbh i found it easy,the hardest time is when you have a pint,that bit is hard.
basically you just gotta stick with it and if you do have a crafty fag,don't worry too much about it.
good luck

Back
Top Bottom