So today i started S.T.A.L.K.E.R for the first time

Soldato
I too wish I could replay the original from scratch with no memory... Amazing game.
Not fully played through the others mind, kept having them bug out on me! Not had the time to revisit, going to have to make some time methinks.

Soldato
The first time going underground :( Never been more unsettled/scared in a game since.

Yup - I remember the first underground section in the first game (Aprogrom underground IIRC)

The bit where you encounter your first bloodsucker - I had hardly any ammo and a badly damaged gun which kept jamming - can hear "something" in the darkness ahead, and suddenly these 2 eyes start rapidly moving towards me!

Definitely a game that makes you want to curl up in a corner and hide :p

Associate
Amazing game, really should start it again with some mods.

Had my fair share of code brown moments in the first one too. I swear I had nightmares for weeks
after finishing the Brain Scorcher parts

Soldato
It's the atmosphere that makes this game. it has good RPG elements and the action is ok , sometimes clunky, but it's the wondering around dark wastelands and countryside not knowing what lurks, which to me is the addictive element of the game, the adventure .

Soldato
I remember playing this when it first came out. Could NOT get into it. I might try again.

I bought it when it came out, it was a broken buggy mess with terrible mechanics and half it's story missing.

I've never understood the love for it, it's shocking.

Suspended
I've yet to play any of the stalker games as well.. I am interested in Chernobyl power station disaster though/Pripyat and the story of the game, I should really get round to trying it out.

Soldato
The bit where you encounter your first bloodsucker
Oh man, I remember that. Right up there with:
That first Controller guy in that underground section

I loved the general combat too. Whilst sometimes the AI seemed really dopey, other times I got completely surprised by guys sneaking around behind me and killing me before I could react. Loved the bullet drop and mix of weapons. The VSS Vintorez was great!

Plus so nice walking around hearing Russian voices and having no idea what they were saying rather than lots of like we're normally given to listen to!

Caporegime
can anybody give me a short run down of any expansions or mods that are worth using before i continue?

Since you're enjoying it so much, I'd probably keep the game as is and carry on. For future run throughs, I'd recommend mods such as Oblivion Lost, L.U.R.K., Lost Alpha, Stalkersoup and Autumn Aurora.

There's many others that I've tried, though at the time some were incomplete / very recent releases (Zone of Alienation / Legendary / Dynamic Shaders / Super Mod Pack 2.4.....and so on). You'll find most, if not all of these on the moddb page I linked further up.

Last edited:
Associate
I would also recommend the complete mod as i actually played stalker for the first time with the mod and loved it.

Really amazing game, have played all of them a couple of times and its way up there with some of the best game experiences I have ever had.

Associate
Autumn Aurora 2.0 is the best of the STALKER mods IMO.

Doesn't change gameplay too much, fixes some bugs, adds some cool new weapons and makes it look great. I finished a 150 hour play through last year with the AA 2.0 mod with no issues.

Cheers,

Associate
OP
Decided to keep it as it is for now, Loving it so far, however rather dam challenging at times and last night i think i may have screwed up, stuck in a high radiation area with very little health made me rage quit and hopefully ill figure it out later when i play it again,

Associate
I bought this game while I was playing WOW so never had the chance to get into it.

Might give it a go tonight if I can find my hardcopy otherwise I'll just grab it off Steam. Do you guys recommend installing the Complete 2009 Mod from the get go?

Soldato
I was put off this when I first played it. It used to annoy me that you constantly missed. The radiation to seal off the map was brutal as well.

I may well try it again at some point if the aim system was improved.

M.

Soldato
Here's a tip for you if you find you need to ferry a stash of gear across the map and you are overloaded, which you almost certainly will want to. You can drag a dead human body, bandit soldier etc, to wherever your stash is, load up the body's inventory with as much stuff as you like, then drag the body to wherever you need to relocate your stash. Saves making umpteen repeated trips and is a godsend for transfering large amounts of kit between zones. I believe bodies will eventually decay, so don't leave gear on them permanently, just move it to another proper container.

Another tip which you may want to do is to wedge the door to Sidrovich open by knocking over one of the gas cylinders over so the door cannot shut. There was a nasty bug where this door can become shut closed with no way to force it open, meaning you can't sell stuff, or even get missions to continue the game. Doing the above will guarantee this can't happen. Some say the bug is fixed in later version, but why take the chance when wedging it open is easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom