• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So who is going for Core Extreme Quadro?

OcUK Staff
Hi there

In approx 3-5 weeks you will be able to purchase Intels new Extreme Processors, the:-

Intel Core Extreme Quadro QX6700
Main point is this is Quad Core, runs at 2.66GHz, has 2x4MB L2 Cache and the price to end-users in the UK will be around the £580-£640+VAT region.

This will no doubt be the only Quad Core CPU to be replaced this year and it will run alongside the current Core 2 DUO Extremem WHICH WON'T BE DROPPING IN PRICE as its now no longer in production.

So anyone up for Quad core goodness?

Soldato
Gibbo

am I reading this correctly for the added price of around £60+vat (at the most) you can move from a dual core to quad core ~admittedly you have to give up about 300mhz on each core also~ so for virtually no additional money , compared to the actual price, you are getting twice the cpu.

That is astounding value and very surprising on Intel's part but good news also.

Will these versions of the core 2 quads have the 1066 fsb or the 1333mhz?

If only I had £800 to spend on a cpu

Soldato
Nah, no real interest in quad-core here. Not at the moment anyway, I'll pay more attention when games begin to be developed in a more multi-threaded way.

I can see it being a must-have bit of kit for some though, who will utilise the extra cores.

Soldato
Duff-Man said:
Nah, no real interest in quad-core here. Not at the moment anyway, I'll pay more attention when games begin to be developed in a more multi-threaded way.

I can see it being a must-have bit of kit for some though, who will utilise the extra cores.

Huh, this is going to be cheaper than my X6800 >_<
If I read it right, I mean.. I don't get VAT here so, im not sure what you mean +VAT means, does that mean is 640+17.5% or 640(including VAT?)

Either way, it's gonig to be £640 or £528 ish and I bought the X6800 for £666, now, let's see if I can sell it and upgrade at almost no extra cost :p

I'd only get it if i only have to spend peanuts more, otherwise when I do upgrade again it'll cost me more, but if i do it this way I already have quad-core to keep me going and if needed, sell again when it's still fairly new..

Ohh...tempting.

Then again, will it work on a DFI Infinity 975x ? :|
Will there be anymore coming out? Like a QX6800 at the same time?
Gibbooo?

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Far as I know only Quad Core capable game is Alan Wake (which can actually use upto 5 threads). So it is a bit overkill.

Still if its the same price as a dual core X6800 why not lol

(not that I can afford one!)

Soldato
I was just about to ask how much these were going to be as someone offered me an ES for $1200.

I wonder how well these will clock.

Soldato
It's pointless imo unless you're a business running a server, or an individual who is doing regular 3D modelling, rendering, encoding, folding or any other activity that explicitly supports multiple physical processors.

SMP is as hard to code for in gaming terms now as its ever been. If there was some magical drop-in solution to multiple cores in gaming it would've been done already. The fact is, right now, the only advantage to >1 core in games is that the spare cores can deal with the trivial background tasks that Windows does.

The Inquirer is usually useless but they hit the nail on the head with this article, specifically the points about how processes in games (AI, sound, physics, graphics, etc) can't practically run concurrently without blocking constantly, they are naturally serial tasks and it takes significant effort which could easily be to the detriment of the games speed (added complexity = more CPU cycles required, and multiple cores don't scale linearly) just to make it thread-safe.

The above said - if its the same price as the X6800 then its a no-brainer for anyone who was thinking of buying that chip.

Associate
I can't really see myself being able to afford/make use of quad core.

Gibbo, do you think that the remainder of the Core 2 Duo chips, excluding the X6800, will see some price reductions?

Soldato
I've just bought a X6800 dirt cheap, may sell it for a nice profit & invest in the Quadro QX6700 but I'll wait till there is more O/C results dependent on the week of the chip also.

Back
Top Bottom