• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So who with a 8800 GTX is getting 8900 ?

Caporegime
OP
Dave2150 said:
How can anyone say whether they are getting one, before we see its performance, and price?

It seems to me like you just post to get your postcount up.

If you are going to post, then at least make it meaningful. :rolleyes:

I guess you do read the GFX card forum much to see that all my post offer views on the latest tech with detailed analysis.

Soldato
easyrider said:
If you are going to post, then at least make it meaningful. :rolleyes:

I guess you do read the GFX card forum much to see that all my post offer views on the latest tech with detailed analysis.

I post what I like thank you very much :rolleyes:

Also, how can your opening post be deamed as "offering your views on the latest tech", when we know nothing of the 8900 as of yet?

I have been reading the graphics forums for a lot longer than you my friend ;)

Associate
I fought your corner Easy! There really wasn't any need for that comment.

There are leaked specs for the 8900 series, so whats wrong with asking people if they're gonna swap out? If you live on the cutting edge of PC tech then 6 months is a long time to have a graphics card so why not swap if you have the money!

Let us know what it's like mate.... :D

(I nkow you're gonna be tempted! lol!)

Man of Honour
I won't be changing my gtx anytime soon - it struggles with nothing I use it for so I have no need for an upgrade at this time. Might go sli though if prices drop enough.

Soldato
Why are people spending so much on graphics cards when the games aren't even out yet!?

I just downgraded FROM an X1900XT to an X800 GTO2 (clocked at 7800GTX beating speeds) and it runs all the latest games flawlessly.

When Crysis comes out, THEN I will waste £400 on a graphics card :D

One of the best moves I've ever done as I've essentially got rid of a depreciating card and replaced it with something much cheaper that does exactly the same job!

Caporegime
Tommy B said:
Why are people spending so much on graphics cards when the games aren't even out yet!?

I just downgraded FROM an X1900XT to an X800 GTO2 (clocked at 7800GTX beating speeds) and it runs all the latest games flawlessly.

When Crysis comes out, THEN I will waste £400 on a graphics card :D

One of the best moves I've ever done as I've essentially got rid of a depreciating card and replaced it with something much cheaper that does exactly the same job!

lol... what resolution are you running at? Do you have to lower detail settings in the latest games perchance?

Caporegime
OP
Tommy B said:
1280 x 1024

Just played HL2 Episode 1 with everything maxed out. So far, the only game that isn't amazing with it is COD2 and that only gets jerky during intense battle sequences.

People like to play at higher resolutions with 16 AA and 16 AF.

Thats why people pay for top end cards.

Surely you know this?

Soldato
easyrider said:
People like to play at higher resolutions with 16 AA and 16 AF.

Thats why people pay for top end cards.

Surely you know this?

Of course but I was playing HL2 EP1 at 16XAA and 8XAF and it was as smooth as my X1900XT.

I can appreciate it if you're playing on a 22"" LCD though because of the higher resolutions.

Caporegime
OP
Tommy B said:
Of course but I was playing HL2 EP1 at 16XAA and 8XAF and it was as smooth as my X1900XT.

I can appreciate it if you're playing on a 22"" LCD though because of the higher resolutions.

Only the 8800 series can currently do 16 AA...

Soldato
Tommy B said:

you card (either of them) cant even do 16x AA, and the x800gto2's struggled with 6xAA @ 1280x1024 in half life 2 which is very forgiving on the graphics card. they are great cards for low resolutions or little AA but they arent that good :)

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know about you lot but I've just got my 8800 GTX and the amount of time its taken Nvidia to WHQL certify the drivers for Vista is abominable. Once they get them right I'll be happy with what I've got. I am using a rig with 2 7800 GTX's running in SLI mode and a P4 D 3GHZ with 4GB DDRII on one Vista and MCE 2005 edition installed. Both on separate boot Drives.
On the 8800 E6600 @2.4GHZ 2GB DDRII OCZ PC6400 at 800MHZ FSB on a P5N32-E SLI using an OCZ 700w SLI PSU. Although I have installed and Activated Windows XP Pro I have yet to Activate Vista on it due to the graphic and Sound Driver limitations of the Open AL at present. At least I still have my onboard sound which runs through my EXtigy via Optical Digital output.
Nvidia are always looking at the product and not the drivers. They never get the drivers right before they release the hardware. For 1st time buyers the 8900 may look tempting but for someone who's already got an 8800 GTX perhaps when they release the G86 and G90 GPU's I may become interested again. Hell I may even go over to ATI if the current drivers don't improve.
All Nvidia are doing is keeping ahead of the Benchmark tests and not concentrating on what should be their main goal..... Stability and proper use for the end user.

Soldato
i might..... im sure i could make up 1500-2k in the next couple of months, if there are 1/2" watercooling blocks avalible at the launch, ill try to get some of the first lot.

ags

Caporegime
OP
Sir Random said:
I won't upgrade until there's a card that's at least 50% faster than my 8800GTX. When I pay for a top-end card, I want to really notice the increase in power, and not just an extra 10~15fps.

If the Inq is right, the 65nm G90 might not be too far away, so I'll probably hold out for that, or the ATi equivalent.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37791

I reckon you will be waiting along time

Associate
jeffa123 said:
I don't know about you lot but I've just got my 8800 GTX and the amount of time its taken Nvidia to WHQL certify the drivers for Vista is abominable....

No offence meant here mate but...

Yet another bashing for NV about drivers and Vista. Yeah, its taken a couple of weeks for them to get a certified driver out.... for a brand new operating system which was built from the ground up. Unlike XP which was really a continuation of NT and 2000, had a similar core system that they were used to working with, Vista has a whole new way of working, with a whole new graphics system and whole new driver system, which means a completely new way of writing drivers. For the first DX10 card and set of drivers i don't know why people are comlpaining so much. Nothing even uses DX10 yet (apart from NV's own Cascades demo)!!

Besides, lets not forget ATI don't even have a DX10 card on the market at the moment....

And BTW, are you gonna be swapping your 8800 for an 8900....? lol :D

Back
Top Bottom