So windows 9?

Soldato
I like Win 8, but the Metro doesn’t work IMO for Desktop.

Win 9 will be what Win 8 should have been. I will probably be upgrading.

Usually I wait a year for the first service pack, but maybe not this time.

Hopefully I can move my Win8 license over to my Win 7 pc.

Soldato
So you can open things which aren't even in the Win-X menu by using the Win-X menu?

Or did you cheat and use the Start Screen?

Charmap was in my Win+X menu on this PC,I stayed on the old desktop all the time.

j1_zps7c3a969c.png

I use free Win+X menu editor great for customisation on W8/8.1, so no need to go to Metro start.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you can open things which aren't even in the Win-X menu by using the Win-X menu?

Sure if it's in the windows directory. [win key] + r "charmap" or "notepad" or "listofreasosnottolikewindows8.txt". You can use this method if the file is elsewhere of course but you'd have to type the path then....bit silly

lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
What has launching native system applications with Win-R got to do with the fact that not all installed executables appear in Win-X?

Well okay... Now open character map for me while watching the same video and having the same notepad window open.

;)

PS. Does that menu cascade?

Thought that was obvious, to be fair...

Soldato
Thought that was obvious, to be fair...

:p You're making it too obvious that you're just choosing to miss the point.

I'm aware of what you need to enter into the Run box to launch charmap.

The point is what if you need to execute something that isn't in your self-configured Win-X menu and you don't know the full path to the executable. Bam. your video taken over and you're bombarded with the weather and crap news again.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, the point was you asked Elevon to load character map assuming him couldnt do it without using the start screen.

I just showed you that you can without needing to use the Win+X menu even.

Now you're just changing your argument of course.

Soldato
No, the point was you asked Elevon to load character map assuming him couldnt do it without using the start screen.

I just showed you you can, without going never the Win+X menu even.

Now you're just changing your argument of course.

Well no you've changed my question.

My question: "So you can open things which aren't even in the Win-X menu by using the Win-X menu?"

Your answer: "Sure if it's in the windows directory. [win key] + r "charmap" or "notepad" or "listofreasosnottolikewindows8.txt""

How can you say "sure" to that and then not use the Win-X menu like I asked?

I used charmap as an example because it wasnt in his Win-X menu. Has nothing asking about the Run command.

What's funny is you have confirmed my point that you cant launch things which aren't self-configured in the Win-X menu, but still are against it just because you know the Run input for the mere examplar of charmap. Well thats still falling back on something that isn't Win-X you know? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I used charmap as an example because it wasnt in his Win-X menu. Has nothing asking about the Run command.

That's the great thing about Win+X menu editor,you can add or remove things you want,we all want different things on Win+X menu.

Link in my previous post gives you all the info you need.

Soldato
Well no you've changed my question.

My question: "So you can open things which aren't even in the Win-X menu by using the Win-X menu?"

Your answer: "Sure if it's in the windows directory. [win key] + r "charmap" or "notepad" or "listofreasosnottolikewindows8.txt""

How can you say "sure" to that and then not use the Win-X menu like I asked?

Your whole argument hinges on the fact that you hate the start screen and it ruins video and you click on the wrong tiles etc etc. we've shown you a few different ways of launching apps without going near the start screen - why are you limiting Elevon to using the Win+x menu to launch character map? What does that prove exactly? You were trying to be clever but like i said there are other ways of doing it without 'cheating and using the start screen' - win+r isnt the start screen.

What's funny is you have confirmed my point that you cant launch things which aren't self-configured in the Win-X menu, but still are against it just because you know the Run input for the mere examplar of charmap. Well thats still falling back on something that isn't Win-X you know?
Nobody has suggested that you can click on things in a menu that dont exist in that menu:o You have to add things manually, just like pinning to the start screen. or the taskbar. or your desktop. or your favorites list on the left hand side of your explorer window. etc. etc. etc.

So yeah....great point to make i guess.

Anyway, bothered as they say.

0d7DJgeh.png.jpg

havent seen the start screen for months on my home desktop.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's the great thing about Win+X menu editor,you can add or remove things you want,we all want different things on Win+X menu.

Link in my previous post gives you all the info you need.

The scenario for you suggesting the Win-X menu was that you can launch notepad without having to go into the Main Start Screen which would block out an important video. After realising that Notepad is already in there, I asked you to load Charmap which wasn't there.

The fact is you can only load charmap using Win-X if it's been configured to launch charmap.

You cant load everything with Win-X like you can with a self-populating Start Menu. This is why I asked if it's a cascading menu. Can you have folders like you can in the start menu?

Is there a way to get the Win-X menu self populated? Like how application installers automatically add their shortcuts into the start menu folder?

Last edited:
Soldato
Your whole argument hinges on the fact that you hate the start screen and it ruins video and you click on the wrong tiles etc etc. we've shown you a few different ways of launching apps without going near the start screen - why are you limiting Elevon to using the Win+x menu to launch character map? What does that prove exactly? You were trying to be clever but like i said there are other ways of doing it without 'cheating and using the start screen' - win+r isnt the start screen.

Nobody has suggested that you can click on things in a menu that dont exist in that menu:o You have to add things manually, just like pinning to the start screen. or the taskbar. or your desktop. or your favorites list on the left hand side of your explorer window. etc. etc. etc.

So yeah....great point to make i guess.

Anyway, bothered as they say.

0d7DJgeh.png.jpg

havent seen the start screen for months on my home desktop.

Mate to be honest I'm not sure what your arguing about.

I'm just asking Elevon about the limitations/features of this Win-X menu he suggested.

You just seem to be avoiding my questions about Win-X and listing any possible alternative method you can think of to launch executables which I'm already fully aware of.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mate to be honest I'm not sure what your arguing about.

Don't worry about it then ;)

I'm just asking Elevon about the limitations/features of this Win-X menu he suggested.

Well he's posted the link enough times, go read that if you want to know about the Win+X menu?

You just seem to be avoiding my questions about Win-X and listing any possible alternative method you can think of to launch executables which I'm already fully aware of. :rolleyes:

You haven't asked me any questions about Win-X. Anyway i don't add anything to win-x, haven't found a need to so i wouldn't know much about it's flexibility I do use it but only for the built in stuff. I'd probably start by clicking on that link Elevon keeps posting :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The scenario for you suggesting the Win-X menu was that you can launch notepad without having to go into the Main Start Screen which would block out an important video. After realising that Notepad is already in there, I asked you to load Charmap which wasn't there.

The fact is you can only load charmap using Win-X if it's been configured to launch charmap.

You cant load everything with Win-X like you can with a self-populating Start Menu. This is why I asked if it's a cascading menu. Can you have folders like you can in the start menu?

Is there a way to get the Win-X menu self populated? Like how application installers automatically add their shortcuts into the start menu folder?

It is Win+X menu so basically you can add programs and groups to it etc nothing else.

Sounds like you want the old classic Start menu ,as you know plenty of those around.
winxeditor1.png

winxeditor.png

Man of Honour
Dayum metro, you so ugly! How did something that looks like a game of tetris make it past the CEO's sign-off?

That is my second biggest complaint with the OS - the first time I opened Windows Defender I seriously thought the installation has been infected with a fake malware version the UI using metro looked so unprofessional.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
That is my second biggest complaint with the OS - the first time I opened Windows Defender I seriously thought the installation has been infected with a fake malware version the UI using metro looked so unprofessional.

Haha. I facepalm whenever I accidentally attempt to configure an IPSec VPN the metro way.

Back
Top Bottom