So windows 9?

Associate
Layout liking etc is down to person in question,I've to disagree on crashes,slowness etc of Win8 compared to Win7,I've purchased and used both since day one,with respect sounds like PEBCAK or another issue.

Same here, I've used both 7 and 8 since their respective launches. 8 is far more efficient than 7 in terms of CPU and memory, the only thing I miss slightly is aero glass. I didn't miss the start menu as I never used it in 7.

I won't call PEBCAK without knowing all the facts though :p

Soldato
We do what our customers want, and our customer want Windows 7. It's not our job to try and sell them on Windows 8.

This. We are 99% Win7, with a few XP machines here and there.

Same. We started asking our clients if they wanted Windows 8 implemented. They thought we were literally having a laugh. The comments we received were pretty funny because we totally agreed with them. Heck even private home laptops from some of the client's workforce have made their way into our offices to have and I quote "every last trace of Windows 8 removed".

Caporegime
Quite, the lengths people will go to over a start screen lol. It beggers belief the some and energy people have spent complaining about something so insignificant. claims, STILL, that it wrecks productivity for example. Barmy.

Metro, sing handedly ruined the world. Heard it here first.

Soldato
Quite, the lengths people will go to over a start screen lol. It beggers belief the some and energy people have spent complaining about something so insignificant. claims, STILL, that it wrecks productivity for example. Barmy.

Well I can kind of see how it does. Like, say you're watching a stream or something and you need to take a note and need to open notepad...

Windows 7, yank mouse to bottom left, click, click. Notepad opened.

Windows 8: Yank mouse to bottom left, while trawling through the bombardment of icons you notice it's going to rain when you leave work and that another celebrity is a paedophile and you are also reminded that terrorism is going to strike you at any moment (they love doing that don't they). All this in full-screen and blocking out that important stream you had playing in the background from which you had to take a quick note from on notepad.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Most of the hate stems from the initial release of Windows 8 which was a disaster rather than 8.1 with Update 1 which isn't all that bad to use on a desktop. Thankfully MS appear to have listened to the complaints and will be providing a more business friendly O/S from the off with Windows 9.

Soldato
Well I can kind of see how it does. Like, say you're watching a stream or something and you need to take a note and need to open notepad...

Windows 8: Yank mouse to bottom left, while trawling through the bombardment of icons you notice it's going to rain when you leave work and that another celebrity is a paedophile and you are also reminded that terrorism is going to strike you at any moment (they love doing that don't they). All this in full-screen and blocking out that important stream you had playing in the background from which you had to take a quick note from on notepad.

Well, you can:
* [windows key] Notepad [enter]
* pin it to the task bar.
* add a shortcut to your desktop.

you dont have to use the start screen at all. It's used when searching (windows key + typing) but even that can be overridden with a free start screen replacement. I use classic start menu at home, mainly because i can, but havent bothered at work because it doesnt affect my productivity at all.

Last edited:
Soldato

You can customise Win8/8.1 you know,this is my modded Win+X menu(right click left corner).Btw that's live tv(hot fuzz on ITV).

ji_zps5386c69b.png

j2_zps49dc149a.png

Last edited:
Soldato
You can customise Win8/8.1 you know,this is my modded Win+X menu(right click left corner).Btw that's live tv(hot fuzz on ITV).

ji_zps5386c69b.png

I never knew you could right click the windows icon for shutdown options!! :eek: You superstar. You've just saved me a click.

On Win 9, looks great. Start menu implementation looks like a very good compromise.

Soldato
I recently moved from 7 to 8, reluctantly, I hate it

Not only the UI, but I find things like outlook hidious, as as office.

Most of my tools for networking stuff works ok, but I hate the UI and start menu

The OS is slower, higher CPU utilisation and a lot more lock up's/crashes to report than I ever experienced on Windows 7

You have a hardware issue somewhere.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Thankfully MS appear to have listened to the complaints and will be providing a more business friendly O/S from the off with Windows 9.

Yes. Microsoft is desperate to win over enterprise customers after the Windows 8 fiasco, which is why the first Windows 9 event will be focusing on business.

so is the event on the 30th just a press thing, or will we see initial beta versions going up?

Same day or early Oct.

Soldato

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/memxcom/ji_zps5386c69b.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w407/memxcom/j2_zps49dc149a.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Well okay... Now open character map for me while watching the same video and having the same notepad window open.

;)

PS. Does that menu cascade?

Man of Honour
Well okay... Now open character map for me while watching the same video and having the same notepad window open.

;)

PS. Does that menu cascade?

You can add shortcuts to the menu via appdata\local\microsoft\windows\winx folder. Its still a poor substitute for a start menu though :S

Man of Honour
^^ That is a really good example though of why I hate the start screen - if I'm watching a video or something especially if its live content I want a nice little popup start menu in the corner not something that takes over the whole screen.

Soldato
^^ That is a really good example though of why I hate the start screen - if I'm watching a video or something especially if its live content I want a nice little popup start menu in the corner not something that takes over the whole screen.

Exactly. The most annoying thing about Metro. And it's not just annoying if you're watching a video either.

I want my application launcher to be an application launcher. Not some inundation of irrelevant BS that is supposed to make Microsoft more money every time you click on a Sky News link.

Back
Top Bottom