So windows 9?

Soldato
The start menu should shrink as the tiles are removed. It will look pretty hideous if it doesn't.

Probably give you some options to change that ie size etc,end of the day does not bother me as I only want stability and gaming,I can work with any Windows so not asking for much :) .

Associate
What are people's, who work in IT, observation of Windows 8 in the work place?
I work in a big IT company and yet to see it in house or rolled out to a customer.

I like W8 but I can see why it's not popular out of my personal computer.

Associate
What are people's, who work in IT, observation of Windows 8 in the work place?
I work in a big IT company and yet to see it in house or rolled out to a customer.

Big business rollouts have major costs - for most companies 7 was a big work to implement and some (including mine) are only just finishing that. To expect them to move to 8 so quickly isn't realistic. That said we sell PCs along with our product and people in the field on XP are making requests to move to 8 rather than 7 - why? The reason is simple - they don't want to move to an obsolete OS - if they're gonna jump up they may as well move to 8.

As for myself I work in Software and our entire team is on 8.1.1 and we will likely look at 9 long before corporate even gives it thought for standard workstations.

Most of the complaints about 8 are now defunct - a lot of people still start conversations saying how 8 doesn't have a start button for example, or that they can't launch an app without using the start screen, or that they can't shut down like they used to etc. They're either out of date or just going on third hand information.

Associate
From a corporate point of view as well there is a big cost for training users to work with a new OS. XP to 7 was a big leap for a lot of non tech savvy users and the UI was not that different. Jumping to Metro is a step too far for a lot of businesses.

As well as that many software companies don't release updated versions of their software for months (if ever!!). We are still regularly told that x software needs Java 6, IE 8, Win XP to function properly it is a nightmare!

Caporegime
We do what our customers want, and our customer want Windows 7. It's not our job to try and sell them on Windows 8.

Soldato
I recently moved from 7 to 8, reluctantly, I hate it

Not only the UI, but I find things like outlook hidious, as as office.

Most of my tools for networking stuff works ok, but I hate the UI and start menu

The OS is slower, higher CPU utilisation and a lot more lock up's/crashes to report than I ever experienced on Windows 7

Soldato
From a corporate point of view as well there is a big cost for training users to work with a new OS. XP to 7 was a big leap for a lot of non tech savvy users and the UI was not that different. Jumping to Metro is a step too far for a lot of businesses.

As well as that many software companies don't release updated versions of their software for months (if ever!!). We are still regularly told that x software needs Java 6, IE 8, Win XP to function properly it is a nightmare!

The old spoon fed and training argument,personally if they can't use Win8 (which is damn simple and I say that as a 50+ year old with no PC training even when I was at school for obvious reasons).

As to training argument sure it costs but then you can't expect things to stay the same forever in business etc,hiring smart people or workers capable of doing the job,willing and able to adapt keeps your costs down ,lets face it you don't need a degree to click a few mouse buttons here and there.

I could argue it does not take long for any user getting to know Windows 8 or any other OS if you are not lazy and willing to learn,its not rocket science or beyond any average persons means.
You have to learn and get to know any OS regardless,it could be Win7 for the very first time or even Win9 etc...

Win8 is not that different from Win7 and I've purchased and used both from day one.
People don't become suddenly stupid because layout or OS has changed.

I can understand keeping costs down but don't corporates have to spend on training,research etc to compete with other companies.

Soldato
I recently moved from 7 to 8, reluctantly, I hate it

Most of my tools for networking stuff works ok, but I hate the UI and start menu

The OS is slower, higher CPU utilisation and a lot more lock up's/crashes to report than I ever experienced on Windows 7

Layout liking etc is down to person in question,I've to disagree on crashes,slowness etc of Win8 compared to Win7,I've purchased and used both since day one,with respect sounds like PEBCAK or another issue.

Soldato
The old spoon fed and training argument,personally if they can't use Win8 (which is damn simple and I say that as a 50+ year old with no PC training even when I was at school for obvious reasons).

As to training argument sure it costs but then you can't expect things to stay the same forever in business etc,hiring smart people or workers capable of doing the job,willing and able to adapt keeps your costs down ,lets face it you don't need a degree to click a few mouse buttons here and there.

I could argue it does not take long for any user getting to know Windows 8 or any other OS if you are not lazy and willing to learn,its not rocket science or beyond any average persons means.
You have to learn and get to know any OS regardless,it could be Win7 for the very first time or even Win9 etc...

Win8 is not that different from Win7 and I've purchased and used both from day one.
People don't become suddenly stupid because layout or OS has changed.

I can understand keeping costs down but don't corporates have to spend on training,research etc to compete with other companies.

+1 on this.

We dont employ idiots, a few layout changes take seconds for people to get used too and theyre sorted...

Soldato

How is Outlook related to Windows 8? If you are experiencing more lock ups and crashes than Win7, you have something else wrong somewhere

Soldato
We do what our customers want, and our customer want Windows 7. It's not our job to try and sell them on Windows 8.

I wanted to stay on DOS 6.22 and hated Windows back then,you either move with the times or get left behind,nothing including Win7,8,9 etc stays forever.

Half the time customers don't know what they really want or understand everything has a limited life span,progress and changes moves forwards and stops for no person including myself.

Groundhog day is a film not reality ;) .

Last edited:
Associate
8.1 is just bad for productivity. The whole metro interface is a joke. Full screen Windows Update is horrendous. The whole UI feels like a mobile web interface. I am forced to use it on some work machines but I've stuck with Win 7 at home. If they sort out the UI issues then I will upgrade everything to Win 9.

Soldato
8.1 is just bad for productivity. The whole metro interface is a joke. Full screen Windows Update is horrendous. The whole UI feels like a mobile web interface.

Although I disagree with you regarding the UI, you don't have to use ANY of those features, and you can access Windows Update without going to the Modern UI. It's in Control Panel (same place it is in Windows 7), just a right click away, or even on a right click of the Action Centre flag by the system tray.

You can pin applications to your taskbar, just like you could with Windows 7, or you can splatter shortcuts all over your desktop. Nothing new there.

I rarely go into the modern UI, but when I do use it (generally to search for a file or something I haven't pinned yet), it's a breeze to use.

Back
Top Bottom