Soccer sickies

Soldato
I personally dont think it is more significant, to be honest without double checking back on the thread I'm not sure anyone has said it is more significant have they? My own opinion is that on a personal level they are equally significant, however I also dont think it matters which (if either) is more significant than the other, all I care about is getting a free extra bank holiday. Something that we already have too few of in comparison with other nations and something which the nation can all get behind (supposedly) and enjoy the day.

Fair enough - that's how I read post 122 - just found it odd that we would need an "excuse" to celebrate. If I misunderstood what you meant then I apologise :)

Man of Honour
Fair enough - that's how I read post 122 - just found it odd that we would need an "excuse" to celebrate. If I misunderstood what you meant then I apologise :)

More a justification in the eyes of many UK businesses, I know there are a few bosses who might baulk at the idea of a bank holiday and losing a day to celebrate the exit of lockdown but each of those might be a little more forgiving of one to celebrate a once in a lifetime tournament win. Well, apart from all the miserable anti-football bosses of course, they'll just have to be content with sitting in their lonely house staring at their collection of trainspotting user manuals :p

As I say though, end of the day, it would be a free additional bank holiday for us all and thats surely something we can be happy about :)

I mean lets face it, I am not religious but I'm not going to question why I should have a bank holiday for Good Friday and Easter Monday !

Last edited:
Soldato
I think most people would be called in to work come Monday even if Boris says it is a bank holiday, how can a business plan to such short notice.

Man of Honour
I think most people would be called in to work come Monday even if Boris says it is a bank holiday, how can a business plan to such short notice.

It wont be Monday if there is one, thats too soon for exactly that reason. IF Boris announces a bank holiday, I would expect it to be scheduled for a few weeks time.

Capodecina
Soldato
Hopefully this Monday will be one that Bob Geldof actually will like !

Some people think this isn't a big deal. It is, and I'm really not much of a football fan. I'm one of those 'casuals' who only get behind major tournaments.

But one thing's for sure, win or lose, Sunday will be a day that we will remember for the rest of our lives. Both sides are great and even though I would love England to win, more than anything I'm just hoping for a really good game.

Man of Honour
Do smaller/any businesses just have to lose a days trading etc and have to give their staff the bank holiday if there was one?

I'm not sure what the legalities are about Bank Holidays, I do know that some people work on Christmas Day and New Years Day for example, I suppose it would be the case that its optional to work on that day rather than you must, so it would ultimately be down to the individual, just as it is with other bank holidays.

Soldato
It wont be Monday if there is one, thats too soon for exactly that reason. IF Boris announces a bank holiday, I would expect it to be scheduled for a few weeks time.

Pfft it will be old news by then. People will want this Monday off.

Also what happens if they win future tournaments, an extra day off each time? I might start to be interested by the whole thing if that becomes the case :p

Man of Honour
Pfft it will be old news by then. People will want this Monday off

I'm sure they will, some people probably want this Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off , I mean I'd certainly like all of those off ! It does appear so far from talking to my friends that most decent businesses are giving people half days on Monday so thats something immediate at least.

Soldato
TBF, I haven't even told my employees they can take Monday off. They can though. They know they can. I don't really care so long as stuff gets done they can do it when they like :) I know they don't take the **** because I've done all of their jobs myself and if they slack, things don't work.

I understand most businesses aren't as flexible.

Soldato
TBF, I haven't even told my employees they can take Monday off. They can though. They know they can. I don't really care so long as stuff gets done they can do it when they like :) I know they don't take the **** because I've done all of their jobs myself and if they slack, things don't work.

I understand most businesses aren't as flexible.
I'm lucky to be in this position as well.

Soldato
I understand that it is significant. I don't understand why it is more significant than the permanent end of lockdown restrictions and hopefully a return to normality. It would be like throwing a party to celebrate that your broken toe has healed when you've just been given the all-clear from lung cancer.

One of those has had a profound effect on everyone's lives for the last 18 months. The other - regardless of how big a fan you are - has had literally no effect on anything (barring increased alcohol and football related item sales). Unless you've put money on the game then your life on Monday will be exactly the same as it was before, regardless of whether England win/lose or if the match had never even taken place.

So yes, I don't disagree it's a cause for celebration, but maybe some perspective is required.

No one has said it is more significant than the end of lock down. That's just something you've arbitrarily decided to base your argument on. I think most people think it nicely coincides with the cessation of lock down and would be a positive day of National celebration. Then weirdo's like you decide to make some strange argument about why it shouldn't be a national bank holiday, maybe just get a life and worry less about what other people enjoy?

Soldato
Do smaller/any businesses just have to lose a days trading etc and have to give their staff the bank holiday if there was one?
Bank holidays can be included, at the discretion of the employer, in to the standard number of holiday days which is something many employers do. So in theory, I'd guess that an extra days bank holiday could be taken from a member of staffs other holiday days meaning they "lose" a day of regular holiday. Quite how well that would go down with staff is anyone's guess.

Man of Honour
I've swapped shifts with my oppo on Monday so he gets to start at 1000 because he's a fan and I can't think of anything less exciting than watching a football match although it'll be nice if they win.
I'm just hoping it's dry Sunday night so I can get the bike out for a good hoon while the roads are back to first lockdown levels of traffic.

Back
Top Bottom