• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Associate
Title says it all really, I was open to buying an AMD card but they havent blown the doors off, 4090s are just not viable cost wise when I have a house to run and bills to pay, all the used 3090s have probably done more mining than a Chilian rescue team, so your only left with two options really...a 3080 or 4080, and if you budgeted about 1000 then you can stretch that little further to the 4080 I guess...that's what I'm doing anyway.
Only question is do you wait or get it ordered for the holiday....

Soldato
I hadn't been keeping track of prices, and I'm not in the UK, but some retailers near me are doing 35% discounts on 4080's :cry:
I'm actually half tempted at that price

Associate
Title says it all really, I was open to buying an AMD card but they havent blown the doors off, 4090s are just not viable cost wise when I have a house to run and bills to pay, all the used 3090s have probably done more mining than a Chilian rescue team, so your only left with two options really...a 3080 or 4080, and if you budgeted about 1000 then you can stretch that little further to the 4080 I guess...that's what I'm doing anyway.
Treat yo self! :D I'd get myself an early Christmas present while there's still stock and time for deliverys to arrive before Christmas if I were in your position.

AMD release pushed me to nVidia and well, may as well go big and went for the PNY 4090.
Been waiting out for 4 weeks now, so decision made and ordered from OC

The temptation of a 4090 was always there for me, but I didn't have the balls to go all in and get one. :cry:

I'm certain that anyone who owns a 4090 will not be disappointed by it, except perhaps, by the void left in ones bank account?

I've successfully maxed my dream build budget by having the good fortune of securing a 7900xtx yesterday, which will be arriving with the next shipment of GPUs in the coming weeks. TBA.

Enjoy your 4090 bud! You earned it and I'm sure it's going to be great! :D

Soldato
AMD release pushed me to nVidia and well, may as well go big and went for the PNY 4090.
Been waiting out for 4 weeks now, so decision made and ordered from OC
AMD release a gpu for £700 less than a 4090 but unfortunately its not as fast as a 4090. Such a shock.

It's like holding off on buying that Porsche 911 until saying you were pushed when a new Nissan Qashqai wasn't quick enough.

Associate
AMD release a gpu for £700 less than a 4090 but unfortunately its not as fast as a 4090. Such a shock.

It's like holding off on buying that Porsche 911 until saying you were pushed when a new Nissan Qashqai wasn't quick enough.

I think because of the economic climate people are holding off on the hope the prices will lower before pulling the trigger.

Soldato
In terms of cost per frame the 7900 XTX ($8.84) makes a lot more sense than the 4080 ($11.00) when considering rasterization performance is roughly equivalent, that leaves you with the question whether the extra £200 for the 4080 is worth it for DLSS over FSR and some additional ray tracing performance.

Associate

Wow and I wonder why I haven't posted on this forum for some time.
Full of angry people that will take something and twist it to their own argument.

For your simple head, I waited until all choices were on the table before I made my mind up on 7900 or 4080.
If the XTX was in the middle of the 480/90 then I would most likely have bought one, but it was hype.

Once I decided green, I just told myself, heck go big, you can afford it and the wait has at least saved a little price drop on the 4090s

Last edited:
Associate
I was set on getting a 7900XTX , but didn't like what I have seen on the reviews , especially about power and noise levels of the reference card. Smacked down on a 4080 that should be here today. Prolly the better choice for me as im running an ITX FormD T1 v2 setup anyways.

Soldato
Wow and I wonder why I haven't posted on this forum for some time.
Full of angry people that will take something and twist it to their own argument.

For your simple head, I waited until all choices were on the table before I made my mind up on 7900 or 4080.
If the XTX was in the middle of the 480/90 then I would most likely have bought one, but it was hype.

Once I decided green, I just told myself, heck go big, you can afford it and the wait has at least saved a little price drop on the 4090s
Hahaha and I'm the angry one. OK fella.

And for the record I can totally understand if someone on the fence about cards around £1000 would wait until the offererings were on that table. But I don't understand people using a £1000 card to justify a £1700 and pretending it's about performance metrics. Nah. It's about people who wanted to buy a £1700 card but can now tell themselves they had no alternative.

Last edited:
Soldato

Wait... what have they blown exactly? You get 4080 performance for $2-300 less; and that's on release drivers -- everyone knows AMD cards go up in performance (see 6000 series vs 3000 series release performance vs current, AMD cards moved up the line significantly).... Sounds like you just wanted to buy nVidia and for some bizarre reason are simply trying to justify it (with flawed reasoning) which you don't need to do, it's your money... I'm confused at the purpose of this thread.

Edit:: Obviously they've blown the pricing, a bit less than nVidia have... but it's worth acknowledging that neither company's pricing policy is remotely acceptable and I'm not ignoring that by asking what they've blown above :p

Last edited:
Associate
Because the 4080 uses a 70 class die I could not bring myself to pay any more than £700 for it and live with the thought that I allowed Nvidia to skank me so hard.
But you say a 4070 class die? But define what a 4070 class die is? You are judging based on the 30XX series. To use the car analogy, you are saying dont buy the latest car because it is only 2.0L when the previous version was 6.8L but the issue is the 2.0L is a newer more revised engine that no longer needs to be 6.8L or even 3.6L because the revised 2.0 engine is just as good.

There is little point in harping back to past generations, the 4080 is a stonking card despite its price. the 4070 will not be a patch on the 4080.

I had a 3090 and I got a 4080 and it has been a huge upgrade especially in MSFS.

My 3D Mark Result 4080 @ 4k

My 3D Mark Result 3090 @ 4k

No overclocking. Its a fairly big jump and triple digits in MSFS, and all the new tech is amazing. I think people forget the 4090 is also probably the first GPU that can really push 8K. on my 3840X1600 Ultra wide ACER 38s that maxes out at 175hz what am I going to do with all that power. My feeling is the 4080 will last till the 50XX series and I hope NVIDIA get real with the prices then!

Stop listening to all these streamers that pusing out garbage lies. My Friend has a 4090 and honestly aside from the odd exception the FPS difference is what these streamers are saying in real terms. I get 138 FPS in MSFS, he gets 144-150FPS under the same conditions....big wow!! and I saved £520. It may drop to 40FPS at some large airports, his will drop to 55fps maybe even 50.

A few games can be 30-35FPS difference, but at that point it is usually above the 120hz range. He has the same monitor, but he also has a 4k 16:9 monitor as well as he wont play some games in Ultra Wide.

All I am saying is there is a **** ton of misinformation out there about how bad 4080 is, and when you have one in hand you will see that. I am not defending NVIDIA it is way over priced! but so is the 4090 IMHO.

Last edited:
Soldato
...everyone knows AMD cards go up in performance ...
Not defending that as not having +95% of the performance on the table at launch is not a good look, you only get one chance with reviews and nobody can know for sure that performance will improve in the future. Having said that i suspect the improvements will be greater for the 7000's than previous generations due to a pretty radical redesign of the architecture (chiplets). You can see they've not optimised things in some of the results people are getting like the massive power draw when using multi-monitors and weird swings some reviewers have seen between one game and another.

I would say it wasn't ready for release but i also suspect they didn't have much choice, not having an answer to Nvidia's 4000 series would've been bad for customers and not a good look, and then you could be improving things forever so there comes a time when you just have to put it out there.

I do think chiplets are the way to go for GPUs, much like they were for CPUs, but i think it may take a generation or two before they dial things in to get the best out of the new design. (a bit like how it took time for them to sort out the issues with Ryzen).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom