• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Soldato
They're all too expensive, but it's just a fact of life now that GPUs will cost more in the future. We may get a return to form with the 5000 series, the same as with the 2000 series being mega expensive, followed by the 3080, but I doubt it.

I think the gaming world divides in to two camps -those who accept it's a fact of life that GPUs will cost more in the future, and those who do not.

Oh, there is a third camp, those who don't know but simply can't justify spending over £1000 on a graphics card.

That last camp includes me. :cry:

Soldato
I was originally going to get a 4080 but decided to wait until the 7900s to see what they were like.
Honestly from the reviews I thought the performance was really good and from that point I'd have gone with the 7900XTX, but I did have a few concerns about things like cooler noise, temperatures and black screens or start-up issues. I hoped these would be solved in time with drivers and 3rd party coolers/designs.
I think I would've gone for a 3rd party 7900XTX if there was any stock but I'm not interested in searching around and racing to buy the first card that comes into stock. I'm buying a whole new PC and don't want to be waiting much longer to buy it (I already delayed 2 weeks waiting for the AMD release).

But having seen the reviews I'm not sure I'd now be that happy going back to the 4080 (even though the price difference for 3rd party 7900XTXs and 4080s is very small). Which basically means if I want to buy a graphics card at this point I'm probably going to have to go with the 4090.
The price is silly, but at least it seems like there might be some stock. Also I've been out of the game for a while so I feel I've saved a bit of money not being on the regular upgrade train, so might treat myself.

Soldato
I think the gaming world divides in to two camps -those who accept it's a fact of life that GPUs will cost more in the future, and those who do not.

Oh, there is a third camp, those who don't know but simply can't justify spending over £1000 on a graphics card.

I think we all accept prices will rise but a doubling of prices over a single generation with performance only increasing by half that is unaccepable.

Associate
A Palit RTX 4080 was recently on sale in the UK for 1100 quid. Fingers crossed Nvidia drop the prices and then when it’s sub-1000 in a sale I will then be seriously interested. I wonder if 4080 sales are up after the 7900XTX sold out?

Associate

I can understand the view of forever higher prices but they're already pushing price reductions so that's got to be the most obvious counter argument against them? Either the 80 series was priced to push you to a different product or Nvidia believed the market would tolerate that price point so I find it doubtful they can push prices further.

Going forward I'm not seeing what will drive demand for even more expensive cards, unless we all grab 8k monitors I'm not going to need a 5080, I probably don't even need a 4080 so help me out here, why would anyone spend £1.3-1.5k or whatever this price increase is going to be on one?

Soldato
I can understand the view of forever higher prices but they're already pushing price reductions so that's got to be the most obvious counter argument against them? Either the 80 series was priced to push you to a different product or Nvidia believed the market would tolerate that price point so I find it doubtful they can push prices further.

Going forward I'm not seeing what will drive demand for even more expensive cards, unless we all grab 8k monitors I'm not going to need a 5080, I probably don't even need a 4080 so help me out here, why would anyone spend £1.3-1.5k or whatever this price increase is going to be on one?
If they cant charge you more they will just use smaller cheaper dies to get their extra money that way.

Soldato

But for me the price reductions are nothing like enough. I get the distinct impression that they are enough for the average NVIDIA buyer. Knock 20% off and they will all be happy as Larry that buyers won the day, but they will be still paying over £1000 for their new card - a near 50% price increase over the previous generation.

Soldato
I was originally going to get a 4080 but decided to wait until the 7900s to see what they were like.
Honestly from the reviews I thought the performance was really good and from that point I'd have gone with the 7900XTX, but I did have a few concerns about things like cooler noise, temperatures and black screens or start-up issues. I hoped these would be solved in time with drivers and 3rd party coolers/designs.
I think I would've gone for a 3rd party 7900XTX if there was any stock but I'm not interested in searching around and racing to buy the first card that comes into stock. I'm buying a whole new PC and don't want to be waiting much longer to buy it (I already delayed 2 weeks waiting for the AMD release).

But having seen the reviews I'm not sure I'd now be that happy going back to the 4080 (even though the price difference for 3rd party 7900XTXs and 4080s is very small). Which basically means if I want to buy a graphics card at this point I'm probably going to have to go with the 4090.
The price is silly, but at least it seems like there might be some stock. Also I've been out of the game for a while so I feel I've saved a bit of money not being on the regular upgrade train, so might treat myself.

Spending a £1000 or more on the 7900XTX or the 4080 is madness. And if you are considering buying an AIB card that price rises even further.

If you only build a PC every so often, you might as well go completely mad and buy the 4090.

The other option is to buy the 6900 for £699 now and buy another GPU later on. The 6900 is still a cracking GPU and doesn't have any of the issues that you mentioned.

Soldato
I'd argue that AMD messed up big time with the RDNA3 architecture, they told us 50-70% over a 6950XT yet in reality its just 35% so it looks like something went wrong with the move to chiplets.

They have also taken advantage of the ridiculous pricing by Nvidia to rename their card tiers so instead of a decently priced 7800XT we now have a £900 7900XT while the actual 7800XT we will end up getting looks like it will have just 60 CU's a drop from 72 on the 6800XT so anyone who bought an MBA 6800XT for just over 600 quid can forget about getting a performance upgrade for a similar spend this generation, the same for 3080FE buyers with whatever Nvidia decides to release at £650

Both of these companies are at it and are all to happy to fleece consumers, the GPU market is broken, Nvidia have a monopoly and AMD are just happy to toe the line rather than actually bring genuine competition.

MLID claims his AMD sources also say something went wrong. He says his sources don't work directly in on Radeon GPUs but that they work in other departments and get to talk with others in the company and in the months leading up to launch they were being told 100%, not 50%, 100%. That's why MLID came up with all the Nvidia killer rumours for RDNA3 was on expecting double 6950xt rasterisation performance.

But he doesn't know what went wrong. We can only make guesses ourselves but I'm pretty sure driver updates over the next 2 years ain't gonna add back 70% extra performance. If AMD genuinely believed they could be that much faster at some point, then some things went wrong:

* The 7900xtx was originally supposed to be the 7800xt and 7900xt is the 7800. So where is the real 7900xt? That would be the 128CU GPU that rumours said would be boosting to 3.5/4ghz

* so clearly something went wrong, a 128CU GPU never materialised and the clock speeds on the 96CU 7900xtx can drop as low as 1800mhz in games, no where near 3.5-4ghz

The only remaining question is why; why did AMD cut down the GPU to a fraction of its intended size and also why are the clock speeds so damn low, why are they even lower than rdna2

I don't know the answers, but what I do know is that the 7900xtx is power hungry; and based on that if such a 128CU 4ghz GPU was possible the TDP would be over 600w, so it's possible that once they started building samples they quickly realised they had a problem

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know the answers, but what I do know is that the 7900xtx is power hungry; and based on that if such a 128CU 4ghz GPU was possible the TDP would be over 600w, so it's possible that once they started building samples they quickly realised they had a problem

This: heat, would be my guess.
Even the 6900XT I ran was really good at keeping my feet warm.

Associate
A Palit RTX 4080 was recently on sale in the UK for 1100 quid. Fingers crossed Nvidia drop the prices and then when it’s sub-1000 in a sale I will then be seriously interested. I wonder if 4080 sales are up after the 7900XTX sold out?
Gibbo replied in another thread. 4080 sales are up but selling nothing like 4090s are. Here’s hoping for a price cut.

Soldato
Probably a price increase going by how amd flopped this generation.
Doesn't really matter what AMD do as Nvidia doesn't really take them seriously as a competitor anyway.

Its down the consumer to show some mental strength for a couple of months and not fold like a wet blanket.

Man of Honour
The only remaining question is why; why did AMD cut down the GPU to a fraction of its intended size and also why are the clock speeds so damn low, why are they even lower than rdna2

If they did this, then I assume it would be for yields and manufacturing cost? Since, no point having a halo product if you can only make 2, or have to sell it for $3000.

Back
Top Bottom