Solar eclipse to plunge Britain into darkness - March 20th

I think it was far darker than people realised, they just didn't notice it due to the relatively slow transition. I came in after greatest eclipse and watched the TV, looking out the window 20 minutes latter was a hell if a light difference.

In 99 we had a lot more sun coverage, as total eclipse was in Cornwall not in the arctic circle.

I didn't even realise it had happened until I saw it on the lunch time news.

What, I'm not sure......I don't even....... :confused:

Show's how many humans are trapped in weird random lives on this little rock in which an entire moon passing in front of our nearest star goes unnoticed!!

Were so disconnected from reality some how and some times.

Kept my kids off school so they could watch it using eclipse glasses.
My daughters primary school sent a letter home saying it was dangerous and were to close the curtains in the classrooms!
Son now has an unauthorised abscence against his name from the high school

For me it was worth the kids seeing it with their own eyes.

I think it was far darker than people realised, they just didn't notice it due to the relatively slow transiotion. I came in after greatest eclipse and watched the TV, looking out the window 20 minutes latter was a hell if a light difference.

In 99 we had a lot more sun coverage, as total eclipse was in Cornwall not in the arctic circle.

I know what you mean I was in the dentist at 8.50 & when I came out 20 minutes later it was noticeably darker. I cant say I noticed it get lighter though.

Last time I saw an Eclipse was on Bodmin moor. Was awesome. Just before the eclipse, the animals and birds started going crazy and behaving really strangely. You could feel it get noticeably colder.

I hope it was as good if not better for you peeps :-)

In Southampton it was a complete nothingness, so much cloud you couldn't even see where the sun was and the reduction in light pretty much similar to the cloud getting thicker.

If it wasn't for the news coverage, I would have had absolutely no idea an eclipse happened at all!

Best I could get on my 250mm lens:

vMNoiHW.jpg

Slept right through it. Was cloudy anyway.

I'm tempted to edit the title of this thread, it's upon reflection; very misleading :p

Its more than misleading its complete nonsense until it hits 99% you won't much if any difference in light levels anyway. '99 spoiled it for me.

Soooo..... Egypt, 2017. 6 minutes of totality (about the longest it gets) and guaranteed clear skies. Anyone thinking of a trip? I've always wanted to visit, just have to not get shot in a terrorist attack. :p

Last edited:
Soooo..... Egypt, 2017. 6 minutes of totality (about the longest it gets) and guaranteed clear skies. Anyone thinking of a trip? I've always wanted to visit, just have to not get shot in a terrorist attack. :p

If you go to Egypt in 2017 you won't get a very good view of the eclipse considering it will be in South America at that time. :D

The one in Egypt isn't until 2027.

Last edited:
Slept right through it. Was cloudy anyway.

Its more than misleading its complete nonsense until it hits 99% you won't much if any difference in light levels anyway. '99 spoiled it for me.

If you go to Egypt in 2017 you won't get a very good view of the eclipse considering it will be in South America at that time. :D

The one in Egypt isn't until 2027.

North America, southern Kentucky with the best view.
And yes I am thinking about going, it's an easy place to go, and plenty if other things to do. although I can't see any mountains on the area to get above potential cloud cover.

2dm5kyh.jpg

Last edited:
We were in Stafford's park near the train station. Birds were a bit agitated as light levels went to approx. sunset or just after sunset for about 20 minutes. And the cold... you could see your own breath! This was one of the photos I took... no idea why the eclipse is pictured offset (above) the sun? This was only taken on a Sammy Tab 3 10.1 btw as I was able to view it through the screen without risking my eye.

093518_zpsyesr5qs3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom