Solar eclipse to plunge Britain into darkness - March 20th

Why can't you looks at it? I've looked at the full sun before without my eyes setting ablaze in their sockets, so how come a half a sun is so dangerous?

And what are the chances of anything happening?

I think they over play it because if they didn't you'd get people just staring at it for half an hour. Looking at it through very dark sunglasses for 10 secs now and again at 80% isn't going to damage your eyes.

Just people out there are dumb.

On the other hand when you used to play with the magnifying glass burning stuff? That is pretty much what is happening at the back of your eye if you stare at the sun.

Last edited:
I'm tempted to edit the title of this thread, it's upon reflection; very misleading :p

Apart from it going a wee bit darker I failed to notice anything (taken at what was supposed to be the fullest 'eclipse')
4Bcw8q4.jpg

might have altered the exposure level a tiny bit but honestly it was a rather large anti climax

I just got this! :)

** Any image wider than 1280 pixels should be linked or placed in spoiler tags **
eclipseMontage-1.jpg

So I was interviewed today on BBC Radio Wales about this picture :D Had to go to a BBC Studio - scary but fun!! lol :D

I'm tempted to edit the title of this thread, it's upon reflection; very misleading :p

Apart from it going a wee bit darker I failed to notice anything (taken at what was supposed to be the fullest 'eclipse')
4Bcw8q4.jpg

might have altered the exposure level a tiny bit but honestly it was a rather large anti climax

Good lord your back garden is bloody beautiful! What a view! :)

4Bcw8q4.jpg

Good lord your back garden is bloody beautiful! What a view! :)

Saw the eclipse at work using someone's welding mask filters. You could see the moon covering around 85-90% of the sun which was pretty cool, yet everything was still very bright. If it was any other day it would have just looked like heavy cloud covering the sun by how light it was.

Saw the eclipse at work using someone's welding mask filters. You could see the moon covering around 85-90% of the sun which was pretty cool, yet everything was still very bright. If it was any other day it would have just looked like heavy cloud covering the sun by how light it was.

I disagree. Conditions were perfect here in Bristol. Although it was like the end of a sunset to some degree, the elevation of the sun actually gave it an ethereal appearance and nothing like an overcast day.

Light intensity definitely dropped, however the eye doesn't notice it too well as its a slow process (obviously).

The Eye is easily adjusting to it.

I disagree. Conditions were perfect here in Bristol. Although it was like the end of a sunset to some degree, the elevation of the sun actually gave it an ethereal appearance and nothing like an overcast day.

Which part of Bristol? I was in work in Avonmouth and it was completely overcast. It got fairly dark as if it were 6am but nowhere near as good as 99' which was a proper eclipse.

Back
Top Bottom