Solar panel production figures

Associate
17.4, would have been more but I’m purposely clipping export at 1.5kw as still not being paid. And I’m in the south of France not using any of my production.
Let's be honest, most of us say we don't understand that behaviour because it's a pretty dick, sad, petty, ignorant, childish, pathetic, move that we wouldn't do, because even if we weren't being paid for the export, it only does good to still produce that clean energy and export it. Lame.

Should've said I'm in the South of France too right now and whatever I export I export at home, despite whatever I get for it. Purposely limiting clean energy = pathetic.

Last edited:
Associate
Its tricky to answer. If you plan to stay in the house for a long time I'd probably go ASHP and ufh because I think gas is on its way out and the sooner you set up the house for a heat pump the better. Also ufh is great, nice even warmth, and no radiators taking up space.
For solar and batteries, I think (but not sure!) it's still difficult to get a return on the investment for the cost of the batteries over it's lifetime. Solar can be installed for a reasonable amount, especially if you negotiate with the installer and already have scaffolding up due to other building work. If you work from home, have a heat pump, or other high electric usage, installing solar is easy to justify and you should break even on the investment in half the life of the hardware (8-10 years into the 20 years life or so).
Our savings from going from LPG boiler to an ASHP were substantial but at the same time we did a full refurb with loads of insulation etc. so our LPG cost would probably have gone down anyway.
Pre-refurb we were spending about £2500 per year on elec and gas to run the house (some heating was also provided by normal electric heaters). After refurb I think our annual cost dropped to around £1200 plus we got about £300 from the FiT. The other big difference is that even when we spent £2500 per year, the house was not warm in the winter. Now it's lovely and comfortable. Impressive savings but it's really difficult to separate savings from the ASHP vs much better insulation.
Detailed response thank you very much.

Associate
Battery was at 19% by 2am, I kicked off a charge about 02:05 til 4pm, started off at 6kw but inverter got up to around 60c so pulled it back to 4kw and got it back up to around 66%, imported 9.8kw (what went to battery and house load during that time).

Cloudy day again, currently up to 6.5, would be nice if sun came out for just couple of hours and said hello lol.

Think I will have to start charging regularly on the night rate to 100% regardless and let it balance itself out with export, if there is much.

Soldato
Some strong opinions here on limiting my export!

I don’t quite understand shortening the life of my equipment for no gain other than producing a small amount of green energy. It’s my choice. When octopus sort out the tariff I ll lift it.

With that said, I’m going to read about stresses on the inverter, as reading it back I do sound a little selfish.

Last edited:
Associate
been a bit of a rollercoaster today but so far 14kw and managed to put back 2.7/10kw

image.png

Probably coulda broke even if it were not for the stupid clouds, also I have been noticing bigger gaps between green and yellow line to indicate PV/AC power.

Soldato
Need something to put it on first, hesitant on getting a used item off ebay as im overly cautious about them being fiddled with it somehow.

Was thinking about one of those Dell Wyse things, 5070 with 8gb ram.
I use a pi3... But tempted to install it onto my home server (which at the moment spends most of its time off - but would end up very much on!)

Back
Top Bottom