Solar panel production figures

Had a good few days, was away for the weekend and batteries got fully charged yesterday for the first time since October, rinsing through them now using AC for heating, which will be a good indication of how I can use the AC on cheaper overnight tarriffs from the battery to warm the house through the winter when I come off my fixed rate later this year.

Last edited:
If you were on a FIT tariff or something generous that would be great. I try to export as little as possible. Maybe one day solar owners will have access to tariffs that are current with energy targets, the industry needs a massive overhaul.
yeh i dint have batteries at the moment, so happy to export at 15p... helps to pay towards grid leccy and gas

If you were on a FIT tariff or something generous that would be great
The export side of the FITS payments is peanuts (no matter when you signed up), and also depends if your on deemed export. If like me someone is on deemed export then you can still use all generation and still get paid as if you exported 50% of what the system produced, oh, and get paid 5.5p per unit.

If you were on a FIT tariff or something generous that would be great. I try to export as little as possible. Maybe one day solar owners will have access to tariffs that are current with energy targets, the industry needs a massive overhaul.

I haven't got a choice. I don't work from home 5 days a week (fortunately, as I'd hate to have to!). 15p is better than nothing. Though I wonder if agile outgoing would be better....

My wife works 8-4 away from home as well.

However when I'm home it's great to be able to use solar to do all the household chores without it costing us anything and it means that all the idling tech is not costing us unnecessarily.

Ultimately I'm reducing the load on the grid and lowering my own carbon footprint so it's win win from my perspective.

Last edited:
I haven't got a choice. I don't work from home 5 days a week (fortunately, as I'd hate to have to!). 15p is better than nothing. Though I wonder if agile outgoing would be better....

My wife works 8-4 away from home as well.

However when I'm home it's great to be able to use solar to do all the household chores without it costing us anything and it means that all the idling tech is not costing us unnecessarily.

Ultimately I'm reducing the load on the grid and lowering my own carbon footprint so it's win win from my perspective.
I work from home fulltime and love it........

I work from home fulltime and love it........

Don't get me wrong, i's nice to be able to. But I couldn't do it 100% of the time. Probably because I've spent over 2 decades going to site (Gen X), office or projects so I like that engagement and face to face time with people. I'm very much an extrovert and get a lot of energy from others. But everyone is different :)

Anyway a bit off topic!

Comparing my bills has more than satisfied me that going solar and batteries has been a great move. I was motivated from a sustainability perspective but of course looking at lowering bills. The fact I get some cash back for doing nothing is a nice bonus.

I'm predicting another record breaking day.....yesterdays 14kwh could be broken. we were at 5kwh by 11am

But export record was broken yesterday too......11.5 of 14kwhs exported

Last edited:
New problem, it’s so cold the batteries are limiting their charge rate to 1.3kW… I’m generating 4kw so it’s still disappearing into the grid despite me trying to plan ahead and keep some battery capacity.

Bah humbug!

Where are your batteries?

In the fridge, was that a bad idea?

They are just in the garage, but it’s not insulated so gets pretty cold and it was -3 overnight. By not charging much overnight ironically it probably let them cold soak more too as the charging would have helped keep them warmer.

Looking at the BMS it’s currently got a 25A charge limit and 60A discharge limit imposed (about 1350w and 3240w respectively).

Last edited:

They are just in the garage, but it’s not insulated so gets pretty cold and it was -3 overnight. By not charging much overnight ironically it probably let them cold soak more too as the charging would have helped keep them warmer.

Looking at the BMS it’s currently got a 25A charge limit and 60A discharge limit imposed (about 1350kw and 3240kw respectively).

You could insulate them a bit, I did with mine as outside and made a significant difference, like 10c they dont generate much heat

Fire retardant polystyrene https://www.wickes.co.uk/Kay-Metzel...lation-Board---1200mm-x-600mm-x-50mm/p/253855

So glad I got my batteries put inside in the end, probably regret saying that when they catch fire and burn my house down!

They are good up to about 300F so suspect other stuff will be an issue first ;)

Looking at the BMS it’s currently got a 25A charge limit and 60A discharge limit imposed (about 1350kw and 3240kw respectively).

:D ah fridge is fine, thought you had put them in the freezer!

Probably a sensible place for them to be honest they're out if the way then. I suppose you can insulate them?

We have ours in our utility alcove indoors but in the summer I reckon it'll be quite warm but I will set up some ventilation.

So glad I got my batteries put inside in the end, probably regret saying that when they catch fire and burn my house down!

Haha don't say that!!! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom