Solar panel production figures

They’ve stepped up now to 2.9kw charge, so they are warming up… BMS is now staying at 90A/145A charge/discharge rate. Probably hasn’t helped that the garage has been open as I’m working in it so plenty of air moving through

Last edited:
Went up on the scaffold with the sun finder augmented reality app for a bit of a laugh… surprisingly accurate at placing the sun in its current position. Fast forwarding through the year it looks like around April my afternoon shading issues should pretty much have tailed off to very minimal amounts.

Just been playing with Home Assistant and Solar forecast, I definitely need the ability to add a damper to the evening rather than all day to get the most accuracy. Would be neat if you could dynamically change the amount of damping with the time of year but I suppose plan B will be to manually tweak it once or twice a month.

Today after the foggy start it managed 14.5kWh - that’s against a forecast of 19kwh.

Wasted 2kwh to the grid where the packs were so cold which is a shame but not too bad.

Signed up for SEG but hasn’t gone live yet… hopefully they’ll use the meter reading I sent them when I applied. Going to have to plan how I’m going to spend the 8.2p from today if so lol.

Yeah it's not a huge amount. But if you go onto octopus they pay 15p or if you go on their agile export you may even get more. I've only made about £20 over the winter months but in summer it should take the edge off the direct debit a little. And enable me to build up a little credit with only a modest monthly payment. At least that's how I've worked it out in my head!

Yeah it's not a huge amount. But if you go onto octopus they pay 15p or if you go on their agile export you may even get more. I've only made about £20 over the winter months but in summer it should take the edge off the direct debit a little. And enable me to build up a little credit with only a modest monthly payment. At least that's how I've worked it out in my head!

I’ve got the EV arriving next month and I think the amount of electricity that thing requires makes anything other than a tariff like Go (or intelligent, but I can’t do that one) unlikely to pay off, but we’ll see what the figures are looking like this summer.

Last edited:
9kwh today.

Would have been a good few more but we get shading from next door, I think until about mid march, makes very little difference in mid December but days like today you notice it a bit more.

Unless you have a huge PV install or do tiny miles then EV charging from solar is minimal. I see it as a nice bonus if I manage to get any solar into my car.

Unless you have a huge PV install or do tiny miles then EV charging from solar is minimal. I see it as a nice bonus if I manage to get any solar into my car.

Interestingly I just had a quick back of the napkin style think about it it and I reckon it could be pretty cheap motoring in summer for my use case.

I have a pretty light commute, 26 miles round trip. I go into work about 19 days per month so call it 500 miles a month, and I should get around 3 miles per kWh without much effort from what I’ve seen - that means 166kwh (and of course we aren’t charging at 100% efficiency so probably closer to 175kwh) to cover a month’s commuting.

That works out to around an average of 6kwh per day to cover my commuting miles. Given that on a nice day like yesterday/today I’m already generating roughly the house daily usage of ~15kwh in early February with significant shading, by early summer I should (on average at least) reliably be generating more than 6kwh excess per day.

My plan is basically just leave the car plugged in when possible and trickle any excess into it… then when it reaches around 30% I’ll schedule an overnight charge to bring it back up to ~80%. That way the solar will basically just extend the periods between scheduled charges. That’s the theory anyway, time will tell how it works in reality and how much I use my car outside of the commute!

Last edited:
What charger are you getting? Not all of them do trickle charge off the solar I think. I read Zappi one does somewhere.

I got another 12.3 kWh today nice weather, I wasn't all that prepared for it and wound up just dumping most of it into Aircon heating mode, which at least keeps the gas bills down a bit if nothing else.

I’ve got the charger already, just nothing to plug it into! I went with the Andersen A2 back when they were running a special offer on it.

Solar guy has already got the extra kit it needs to do the solar excess thing, he should be installing it tomorrow along with the bird blocker.

Not sure what the threshold is for where it starts charging, I think I read 500w somewhere but haven’t found a reference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom