Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

If you've got an EV you should be able to utilise pretty much all of that spare from the solar generation. Thats the bit I don't have currently, but if I did have an EV I suspect i'd barely export anything.

18 X 410w so about 7.4kw

And 19.5kwh of batteries.

Definitely eyeing up other spots for more panels though ..... ;)

Very nice, sort of tracks with my peak generation yesterday around 80% of the panel capacities, but today is not a clear day here, it's bumbling along at anywhere from 800 - 3000W today, depending on cloud cover and sunlight appearing.

My system is 4.8kw so would not expect it to go above it, and is split SE/SW so I'd expect peak generation in the early afternoon on sunny days :)

the problem with the ev is it depends on your usage of the car as well, if your commuting daily its useless as you'll want it charging overnight and it won't be there to charge during the day...

So what's the craic with all these charge points in spaces - can people use them after they get to work/whatever, I assume its not free but at some work places isnt this going to be the point that charging it elsewhere means not just at home overnight?

If you've got an EV you should be able to utilise pretty much all of that spare from the solar generation. Thats the bit I don't have currently, but if I did have an EV I suspect i'd barely export anything.
Yeah - have a Nissan Leaf and other half has a Tesla Model Y on order, so am hoping this will be a good 'outlet' for all that extra electricity, but at the moment the car is full, our batteries are at 100%, solar is producing 6.6kw and we're exporting 3.6kw (which is burning it!).

Getting an Eddi fitting, so it'll heat the water in this case, but need to play with other options!

Very nice, sort of tracks with my peak generation yesterday around 80% of the panel capacities, but today is not a clear day here, it's bumbling along at anywhere from 800 - 3000W today, depending on cloud cover and sunlight appearing.

My system is 4.8kw so would not expect it to go above it, and is split SE/SW so I'd expect peak generation in the early afternoon on sunny days :)
Yeah, we were energy free at 8am this morning despite a thick Scottish fog! Sky has cleared and producing 5-6x what we need now!

So what's the craic with all these charge points in spaces - can people use them after they get to work/whatever, I assume its not free but at some work places isnt this going to be the point that charging it elsewhere means not just at home overnight?

We need a rich and varied charging network at destinations for those that can't charge at home (flats, street parking etc) and those traveling longer distances. Service stations work to some degree but due to the longer charge times its not ideal. Given the crazy rise in energy costs its getting a bit silly to charge on the go if you can charge at home on a lower rate...

We need a rich and varied charging network at destinations for those that can't charge at home (flats, street parking etc) and those traveling longer distances. Service stations work to some degree but due to the longer charge times its not ideal. Given the crazy rise in energy costs its getting a bit silly to charge on the go if you can charge at home on a lower rate...

But what's stopping me from using a public unit? Are they able to track the cars ID and bill you or is it free for all and then the guy that lives right near one just drives there every other day and gets free energy?

In the end I also signed up to Go, I rang them and sorted it out as I had a pending Agile switch.

They didn't ask about EV, if they complain I'll have to come off it, otherwise I'll sit on this for now and charge the battery at night.

We've not got an EV either, if they ask what's the next best option? Hope to have a battery up and running in the next couple of months.

Won't let you switch until it's confirmed smart meter works btw.

You need to switch to Octopus first and foremost onto Variable tariff, you can then start the switch to Go.

Part of the provisioning process hooks into smart meters, it checks if it can get the current ones reading, and if not I guess it may book an install with you?

Thanks, what's the costs on the variable tariff - I would look it up but so many tariffs.

Standard cap pricing that we all have if not fixed already.

If you go onto the website for a quote it tells you to call them, should give you a number. They had me switching onto the standard cap pricing within a few days.

From there you can do another switch :)

Thanks, thought they weren't taking customers on at the capped rates, but I suppose with the cap increasing very soon it doesn't make much difference.

I'll dig out my info from the last switch and call them tomorrow.

Did you end up paying Bulb anything, and if so did they refund it quickly?

They don't take on new customers who are just sitting on cap, but if you're going to a smart tariff they should let you on with the cap one for now, once setup you can switch again.

Bulb did take a payment yes, but said should refund after final bill, within next week or two, wasn't too worried about it, will just make sure they send me stuff back.

Octopus portal is pretty good so far.

If it helps I've just applied to switch to Octopus on Tuesday and it says I should be on their supply tomorrow.

Smart meter fitting dates vary by area and can take a while although if you ask them when you speak to them they can give you dates. For us it's about 2 weeks time and they can't book a meter fitting until you've switched to them.

They'll try and get it working with your existing ones though, so possibly some automated stuff run to kick them into life. I have SMETS1 and it seems happy.

Bulb never got mine working, but Octopus managed it, so possibly more than just adding them as is.

Back
Top Bottom