Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
I found it wasn't charging/discharging properly until it was enabled, seemed to pull from the grid sporadically when it didn't need to. Looks like you have a nice balanced for long days of generation!

This mode will dynamically charge and discharge your batteries to minimise your import from the grid

Today has been very sunny, so have been running all the cleaning on my ovens/washing machine etc to use that spare juice!

Soldato
2000w or 500w or who knows. Probably not very reliable I guess, whose a better offer then this one: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Portable...61915747&s=telephone&sr=1-54&ts_id=1340852031

Am I eligible for the trial?​

For the V2H trial, we are looking to recruit a broad spectrum of participants with different technical set-ups. There are, however, certain criteria which will need to be met to be eligible:
  • The trial is open to residents of England, Wales and Scotland only.
  • The trial is open to domestic installations only.
  • You will need to be the homeowner or have the landlord's permission of the premises where you are looking to install a V2H charger.
  • You will need private off-road parking and a suitable wall space to install the charger.
  • You will need a compatible CHAdeMO-based electric vehicle, i.e. Nissan LEAF (model year 2013 onwards) or Nissan e-NV200.

This is the largest V2H trial in the world and we have received thousands of expressions of interest. We encourage you to respond by the application deadline as spaces are limited.

What will I receive & how much will it cost?​

For the trial, we are offering Indra’s state-of-the-art V2H charger including standard installation for a price of £1,600 incl. VAT. You will also receive access to a web portal to monitor and control the V2H charger.

How do I apply?​

If you would like to apply to be on the V2H trial, please complete the application form by clicking the 'Apply' button below.

Did people hear of this one. For example it allows the Leaf which is 30kw of batteries to help power a house. If it did work well that'd repay the cost to install in avoiding elec units at 48p and a cheaper overnight recharge seems viable. I can forward this to anyone interested

Cheap battery packs Ive looked at barely even offer 1kw with probably a thousand cost

Soldato
I found it wasn't charging/discharging properly until it was enabled, seemed to pull from the grid sporadically when it didn't need to. Looks like you have a nice balanced for long days of generation!

This mode will dynamically charge and discharge your batteries to minimise your import from the grid

Today has been very sunny, so have been running all the cleaning on my ovens/washing machine etc to use that spare juice!

Yeah I ran about earlier and used dish washer, washing machine, oven, doing stuff on the PC etc, good to get some advantage on the free electric.

I've also exported 5kwh of electric for free thanks to no SEG thingy in place! :mad:

Funny that they want to wait until you have paperwork to pay you for generation, but the other way around? no you don't get free electric until you've approved some paperwork with a supplier.

Associate
ok so i am just starting a couple of self builds for my family and in-law, looking at in roof solar panels? anyone had them? Think i can fit about 18 panels and also would like batterys about 10kwh?
Any suggestions for suppliers who sell, i dont need install.
i am thinking the roof will be cost neutral because i wont need to slate the south side of the roof which is a big cost saving and i would like batteries that work in a power cut...

Thanks Luke

Soldato
Do you need planning permission or anything when getting solar panels installed? I'm looking at getting a used system with batteries.

Mostly it's permitted development but there are some rules around placement and stuff, probably best to google it for specifics.

I know sticking them on a flat roof could be an issue, as could having them hanging half off your roof overhanging etc.

Soldato
Do you need planning permission or anything when getting solar panels installed? I'm looking at getting a used system with batteries.
Generally for permitted development they need to be below 200mm of the highest point of your roof, so on a pitched roof that's easy, flat roof is much more difficult. Best check local restrictions as well.

Soldato
Generally for permitted development they need to be below 200mm of the highest point of your roof, so on a pitched roof that's easy, flat roof is much more difficult. Best check local restrictions as well.

I checked mine recently to make sure, because my panels are basically at roof line due to space constraints at the top, and ultimately it seemed to suggest should not exceed roof height:

The 200mm rule is for extending beyond the edge of the roof it seems.

Soldato
I checked mine recently to make sure, because my panels are basically at roof line due to space constraints at the top, and ultimately it seemed to suggest should not exceed roof height:

The 200mm rule is for extending beyond the edge of the roof it seems.

I'm pretty certain they've got that wrong, solar panels should never extend out horizontally from the edge roof (they should be set back), it should be 200mm vertically.

Mind you, it seems every time I google it I find a different interpretation of the rules.

Seems I can glad my house in panels though, and that would be just fine.

All the following limits must be met:
  • Panels should not be installed above the highest part of the roof (excluding the chimney) and should project no more than 200mm from the roof slope or wall surface.
  • The panels must not be installed on a building that is within the grounds of a listed building or on a site designated as a scheduled monument.
  • If your property is in a conservation area, or in a World Heritage Site, panels must not be fitted to a wall which fronts a highway.

Soldato
I'm pretty certain they've got that wrong, solar panels should never extend out horizontally from the edge roof (they should be set back), it should be 200mm vertically.

Mind you, it seems every time I google it I find a different interpretation of the rules.

Seems I can glad my house in panels though, and that would be just fine.

I can find nothing about height of 200mm above the roof, even on your link.

I guess a flat roof would be countered by not being above the highest part of the roof.

Soldato
See below, it clearly states "should project no more than 200mm from the roof slope or wall surface", I would take that to mean perpendicular from the roof slope OR wall surface. Previously, elsewhere I've seen it stated at 200mm above the highest point.

Planning-Portal.png

Soldato
See below, it clearly states "should project no more than 200mm from the roof slope or wall surface", I would take that to mean perpendicular from the roof slope OR wall surface. Previously, elsewhere I've seen it stated at 200mm above the highest point.

Yes I agree the same, but a standard solar roof mount system will have them laying flat and being less than 200 away from the sloped surface.

I think I'm OK where the top edge of the panels are basically level with my ridge line.

Are we agreeing the same thing here or do you think it's wrong somehow still?

Back
Top Bottom