Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Nice, you have managed to get down to 4.95p a KW, I have a some catching up to do, huge saving over a standard tariff.
Sun has much more power now so it will only get easier solar charging.

Wishing my batteries to arrive, on a ship in the Pacific somewhere, going to be a long month wait.

EV (approx 15k miles a year), hotwater, house and cooking. Me, wife and 2 kids. There's another 480approx units there thst the solar has generated that's obviously not billed for. That's about 40 a day. The car takes 25 a day so the house is only using 15, which is quite low IMHO considering we have no gas.

EV (approx 15k miles a year), hotwater, house and cooking. Me, wife and 2 kids. There's another 480approx units there thst the solar has generated that's obviously not billed for. That's about 40 a day. The car takes 25 a day so the house is only using 15, which is quite low IMHO considering we have no gas.

Yea fair enough. I always forget about all-electric homes :D we're gonna be gas heating (combi) and hob at the new place so probably helps my estimate to be so low, plus low mileage in an EV (4k miles-ish).

Electric heating.. ;)

Log burner and oil for our heating.

Yea fair enough. I always forget about all-electric homes :D we're gonna be gas heating (combi) and hob at the new place so probably helps my estimate to be so low, plus low mileage in an EV (4k miles-ish).

When you have both ovens going and all 4 hobs on the bora the meeter spins round very quickly!

When you have both ovens going and all 4 hobs on the bora the meeter spins round very quickly!

I'll bet! :D

Do you charge your battery overnight too? I guess that'd be a yes over winter and then solar provides a good deal of the charging for you over summer etc? I'll have a run back through the thread to see if you've detailed what your setup is :)

Log burner and oil for our heating.

Sorry I was just saying how you can get such high usage, not that you were on electric, badly worded on my part. :)

I've had to cut down to one oven, until I extend, and that isn't looking likely anytime soon. It's a blessing and a curse.

I'll bet! :D

Do you charge your battery overnight too? I guess that'd be a yes over winter and then solar provides a good deal of the charging for you over summer etc? I'll have a run back through the thread to see if you've detailed what your setup is :)

4kw solar into a 3kw inverter (installed in 2012). It's a Tesla battery. You tell it when your cheap electric period is and it decides if it will charge up or not. It learns usage patterns and reads the weather forcast. I had it installed in November and after the 1st week I don't think it's algorithm has ever left me short. This weekend for example it didn't charge at all over night. Yesterday I spent 20p on electric. :)

Sorry I was just saying how you can get such high usage, not that you were on electric, badly worded on my part. :)

I've had to cut down to one oven, until I extend, and that isn't looking likely anytime soon. It's a blessing and a curse.

Oh yes. With storage heaters as well I could be doing 50+ units a day easily!

God help the rural people with only storage heaters for heating, we know of people with £3000+ a year electric costs from last year, before the increases.
It looks like it could double in the next 12 months. Cant see how they will manage the cost increase.

God help the rural people with only storage heaters for heating, we know of people with £3000+ a year electric costs from last year, before the increases.
It looks like it could double in the next 12 months. Cant see how they will manage the cost increase.
Many are listed buildings so cant even put solar on the roof.. might be worth going on economy 7 and heating hot water at night.

If you're using your car as the battery for your house, what happens when you want to use the car and your house has used half its charge?

The idea is your car is aware of how many miles you will be doing the next day so will not discharge too much.

My main concern would be degrading the cars battery life and therefore range due to the additional use, for that and the other obvious reasons above, i'd much prefer a dedicated house battery.

Back
Top Bottom