Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

perfect timing for me :)
Likewise, especially if I can now split a battery and PV install without VAT penalty.

EDIT: 0% for 5 years. Details on exactly what is covered not released yet, but Rishi said "...such as solar panels, heat pumps, and insulation...". Hopefully a battery install will be covered.

Likewise, especially if I can now split a battery and PV install without VAT penalty.

EDIT: 0% for 5 years. Details on exactly what is covered not released yet, but Rishi said "...such as solar panels, heat pumps, and insulation...". Hopefully a battery install will be covered.
Hopefully the cost of the kit won’t jump up in price due to the increased demand.

Considering adding some extra panels now.

I am on the current max limit in terms of feeding back into the grid, does anyone know if its possible to add a grid-connected system that will only ever draw down and not feedback in?

Reason: want to chuck around 8-12 panels purely for running a pond, but when not producing it will still need to draw from the grid.

A bit niche, but has anyone upgraded their solar install?

We had a 3.75kW system installed in 2012/13 right before the FiT rates dropped through the floor, so it's getting on for 11/12 years old now. The panels have easily paid for themselves in that time (FiT is something silly like 56p/kWH) but I'm more interested in storing or using the solar than getting paid for that which I generate. I've been looking at solar batteries, which got me thinking about upgrading the solar array itself too.

I could get a solar battery and be done with it but 1) there's currently 20% VAT on batteries 2) I'm not sure a 3.75kW system would be enough to charge a battery in wet Wales :p

Technology has moved on loads since we had ours, so whereas each of my panels are rated to 250W, I could probably double the output of my existing system with the same roof utilisation (not all my roof is full).

I'm not interested in having two different styles of panel on my roof so I'd ideally want to whip everything off and start again with panels that have a beefier output and hook up to a single battery with a view to adding a second in future. I realise I'll sacrifice my FiT payments but my goal is to run purely off the generation and use minimal cheap overnight elec to top up the battery etc.

Are there any installers that would remove my system and install a new one at a discount (a part ex? :D) I suspect not, so if I have to bite the bullet I'm sure my parents would be more than happy to have my old system.

(FiT is something silly like 56p/kWH)

If youre on this rate I dont think any upgrade or replacement will work out more cost effective unless you went so large you could effectively run off grid.

I am currently chatting with my original installer at adding extra panels in, and im on around half your rate and getting told the same, the FiT rate is so good I physically cant upgrade (dont have enough roof) to a point of it being more cost effective even with the latest and greatest tech.

A bit niche, but has anyone upgraded their solar install?

We had a 3.75kW system installed in 2012/13 right before the FiT rates dropped through the floor, so it's getting on for 11/12 years old now. The panels have easily paid for themselves in that time (FiT is something silly like 56p/kWH) but I'm more interested in storing or using the solar than getting paid for that which I generate. I've been looking at solar batteries, which got me thinking about upgrading the solar array itself too.

Huh, surely you're making more money from any feed in that it'd be stupid to change anything to store it as you can buy it from the grid cheaper than what you're selling it for.

you'd be making more from the feed in than you'd pay for the electricity - would be better off (if you could) exporting all you make and buying all you use from the grid!

FiT is no longer available right? Any rumours of it coming back? Would be nice as then no need for batteries..
FiT has gone, now its Smart Export Guarantee - between £0.05 and 0.03ish apparently

@SoliD maybe you should get a re-quote done now for your install. 0% VAT on the solar, but unsure if they include the batteries as 0% as well, if they don't then it might end up costing more. Maybe worth waiting for clarification, as I can't see the documents on the Gov.uk website yet confirming what will be included.

Huh, surely you're making more money from any feed in that it'd be stupid to change anything to store it as you can buy it from the grid cheaper than what you're selling it for.
I think that 56p FIT tariff is the generation payment - the export payment is on top of that, assumed at 50% !

As per @SDK^ above... the export payment is less as they assume you use 50% of what's generated and only offer 3.90p/kWh :(

This is my statement from December 2020 - Sept 2021

As per @SDK^ above... the export payment is less as they assume you use 50% of what's generated and only offer 3.90p/kWh :(

This is my statement from December 2020 - Sept 2021

You can’t really complain - you are paid a lot to generate your own power, paid again on the export which is assumed at 50% (might not be all of that ;) ) all whilst saving on sky high energy costs.
Good work :)

You can’t really complain - you are paid a lot to generate your own power, paid again on the export which is assumed at 50% (might not be all of that ;) ) all whilst saving on sky high energy costs.
Good work :)
Definitely not complaining.. would be nice to store the solar in a battery and use it myself when I get home from work though.

I suppose I've answered my own question :o

FiT has gone, now its Smart Export Guarantee - between £0.05 and 0.03ish apparently
Waste of time, better off with a battery then. I don’t get why they do that. Why not offer 15-20p? That would help encourage people to install it which would mean more energy for the grid at a cheaper price and on top help the country be more green and need less batteries which is also green…

@SoliD maybe you should get a re-quote done now for your install. 0% VAT on the solar, but unsure if they include the batteries as 0% as well, if they don't then it might end up costing more. Maybe worth waiting for clarification, as I can't see the documents on the Gov.uk website yet confirming what will be included.

Will be getting them to get it updated as they haven't done anything yet apart from apply for the DNO.

Back
Top Bottom