Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Yep. I’d give them the go ahead but I’m not sure if I’d get my EST loan which is based on the original quote
It should be fine, they don't ask exactly what the storage is, you'd just need to ask for a bit more to cover the extra cost? I've swapped around my loan a bit, it's slow but no problems.

Nope, just as you say, a bit slow, it can sometimes take a week or more to get a reply. Biggest hassle was getting the right MCS numbers to them for the solar panels.

Our neighbours panels had pigeons roosting under their panels this summer, made a mess of them only now he’s had skirts put on.

We were all joking about it a while back but I'm glad I had that added to mine when installed, especially knowing I get quite a few pigeons about.

Adding after would be a pain and more scaffold etc.

That’s good to know. Was it a hassle to swap around? I’m finding the EST process very slow
It's absolutely horrendous. I paid the lot on my CC and it was about 2 days after my statement date which gave me just under 2 months to get the cash. Think it got paid in on the day the CC bill needed to be paid to avoid interest.

Here's my story so far. Phoned up to enquire about it - spoke to someone who was friendly and helpful, set me up so I could start my application and explained what was on offer.

Got some quotes from some installers, picked the one I wanted, then the Home Energy Scotland systems went down for about 2 weeks so I couldn't submit my application for the loan or get the home energy selector report from them. The selector report is done via phone call to ensure what you are wanting to get funding for is suitable for your home.

Fast forward 2 weeks, got my selector report confirmed this was a good choice and I got my report. Submitted my application for the loan.

Fast forward 16 days, got my approval for the loan, filled in loads of forms, scanned them and sent them back via email. Confirmed my order with my chosen installer.

Got my panels installed a month ago. In order for the funding to be released you need to get a EPC report done, managed to get someone local to do it for £100. Paid the installer via my CC (which was good for Section 75 protection).

Submitted my paperwork - EPC report, MCS document, Invoice showing payment, claim form, leave a review of the installation 20 days ago.

Today - still waiting on my £5k, will chase tomorrow as I'll need to raid my savings to pay my CC bill to avoid paying interest.

Postives: £5k over 120 month, will save more per year than the cost of repayments
Negatives - 1.5% admin fee on the loan (added to the loan, no choice in that) of £75, and EPC report at £100 - so £175 in extra expense you wouldn't need with a bank loan or using savings. Effort in applying.

It's a good scheme but very, very slow to process and only good if you have cash or credit to front the install or some of it, apparently you can claim up to 65% as a staging payment before the install is completed but this isn't guaranteed.

I'd hate to think how people who don't have access to lots of cash or credit would be able to use this effectively, especially if looking to get a battery as well or some sort of heat pump type solution which is even more expensive.
It does appear you can get the cash before getting the EPC and paying the invoice but the wording is a bit vague.

Last edited:
Fitting has just started here :D (after a couple of months wait)

14x 410w panels on the garage roof with SolarEdge optimisers and SolarEdge 6000 HD Wave inverter and and a AC coupled 12.4kw Solax X-ESS G4 battery (to avoid extra cable runs).

Battery was a last min swap in as they couldn't get the original, but this gives us full emergency power support through the main fusebox.

Last edited:
Is there a rough rule of thumb on what percentage of your solar capacity actually generates in winter? Like 10% of its installed capacity per hour for example?
@HungryHippos and I had a split we used as typical UK. I cant remember where we got it from.
I scaled it to 3900kwh hours as thats my expected generation. Monthly split for that 3900 as per below. Should give you an idea.
This is 5.4kwh of panels with 5% allowed for shading.

Jan-23​
117.5​
Feb
175.7​
Mar
343​
Apr
429.3​
May
467.8​
Jun
526​
Jul
545.7​
Aug
448​
Sep
351.3​
Oct
233.9​
Nov
164.2​
Dec
97.7​

Is there a rough rule of thumb on what percentage of your solar capacity actually generates in winter? Like 10% of its installed capacity per hour for example?

You can use the PVGIS tool and input your data in that (azimuth, slope, max kWp PV) and it will spit out some monthly figures for you in a nice PDF file.

Last edited:
All depends on the weather really, since I've had my 4kw of panels installed in December 2015 my lowest monthly generation was 71kWh last December, December 2019 was 121. December is usually my worst month.

Ok my solar just got cancelled, supply issues like many others!

I've got a list of options, my likely option is a slightly diff version with more smaller batteries with approx 0.5kwh of extra storage
Its quite a neat system look with batteries and inverter etc all stacked into one https://www.solaxpower.com/x-ess-g4/

As such I also have to choose now between 1) saving £143 or 2) adding £641 for house islanding. Trying to decide if its worth the diff of £784 for the islanding. They knocked £200 of that should have been £984 extra in effect.

I am quite tempted by islanding just not sure its worth that much extra.

Thoughts / votes? :)

Ok my solar just got cancelled, supply issues like many others!

I've got a list of options, my likely option is a slightly diff version with more smaller batteries with approx 0.5kwh of extra storage
Its quite a neat system look with batteries and inverter etc all stacked into one https://www.solaxpower.com/x-ess-g4/

As such I also have to choose now between 1) saving £143 or 2) adding £641 for house islanding. Trying to decide if its worth the diff of £784 for the islanding. They knocked £200 of that should have been £984 extra in effect.

I am quite tempted by islanding just not sure its worth that much extra.

Thoughts / votes? :)

We've just had exactly the same offer (guess solarX shipped a few containers over) - ended up going all in for £641 more than our original quote, including the Emergency Power Support

Back
Top Bottom