Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

so its a choice to get nothing for your excess solar then....so can't really complain. Had mine fitted years ago and had newer ones fitted a fortnight ago, not sure what the issues with them are tbh

Here is how it will go:

The Mrs sorts out the electric bill and related.

I'll convince the Mrs to get a smart meter, something goes wrong.

That now defaults to being my fault, and will become my issue to sort out, and my responsibility from then on.

Here is how it will go:

That now defaults to being my fault, and will become my issue to sort out, and my responsibility from then on.
i see nothing wrong with that, but in 8yrs with mine, nothing has ever gone wrong......but maybe say to hear, if we get a smart meter, we can sell excess solar to the grid. Helping us pay lower bills, seems a win win to me.

I'd love to have smart meters, but my smart meters are now dumb meters once again. They are gen one, worked when first installed, then stopped working when I changed supplier, but started working last year, then stopped working again in July. Octopus are supposed to be getting them fixed/replaced but nothings happened so far.

I'd love to have smart meters, but my smart meters are now dumb meters once again. They are gen one, worked when first installed, then stopped working when I changed supplier, but started working last year, then stopped working again in July. Octopus are supposed to be getting them fixed/replaced but nothings happened so far.
They replaced mine within 48hrs of asking and applying for outgoing solar

Octopus changed mine over pretty quickly when I mentioned my old style meter was going backwards with the solar installation. :p

The chap that installed it did a lovely job tidying up all the old cabling, installing an isolator and re-piping the new gas meter. Looks much neater and more simplified now.

Here is how it will go:

So if they go wrong they turn into dumb meter which is the status quo. Not sure what the issue is.

If they stop metering entirely, happy days right? That scenario is incredibly unlikely.

@Freefaller does the 'battery to home' segment if it was from generation or cheap rate grid for example?

Battery to home is all generation from solar on this screen I believe.

Here's the total generation from solar to home, battery and grid.

Screenshot_20221124-190207.png

I just can't quite believe it's that much I've saved. That said my account is now £489 in credit. So I'm definitely using less. But I was trying to work it out from solar rather than just from the bill.

Last edited:
Use the generation one instead, will show generation to home and generation to battery, that is a better combined figure for savings.

So 288kwh above, but it's a bit more than a month more like 5 weeks to 20/11.

288 * 0.34 = £97.92

Oh yes well spotted. I clearly can't choose a month correctly! :rolleyes:

Apologies for the inane questions. Although I can do the sums I like to get 3rd party verification!

Last edited:
Input of tariff on the portal and run a report over a month or you bill period.

It will provided a within 5% value of imported energy.

Take house consumption and multiply by 0.34p to give you cost you would have paid.

For me I used 703kwh @ £239
Actual bill £62

Saving= £177

Edit: it will also tell you your export value as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom