Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

It's just the cloudy grey days that suck. I have no shading (although the second set gets some from 2pm onwards in the winter and 4pm onwards in the summer). I don't mind winter, as long as it's sunny! I've had enough of the rain!

Currently showing 154KWh generated for the month, so that seems reasonably good, 1.29KWh yesterday which is the worst day so far I think (I have one day showing as 0.38 but I believe that was due to my internet being down for most of the day).

The good news about yesterday is that Octopus are doing another Saver Session today and conveniently I cooked tea yesterday using grid energy at just the right time! Though would rather be on Economy 7, been over 3 weeks since I asked to switch and still not happened, may need to get in touch.

Just found out from Octopus that we can't be on the 'Octopus Go' tariff and Outgoing export scheme for 15p per kWh at the same time - it's one or the other (my partner has a VW ID.3 so 'Intelligent Octopus' isn't an option).
I'm wondering if Octopus Go might be better through the winter months (we have 10kw of battery storage and rarely use more than that in a day), and then switching back to Flexible + Export next year when the sun starts to get higher, depending on where the energy price goes.
Anyone have any thoughts on this, or know how often Octopus lets you change tariffs?

Wonder if this will generate more than @katie279's array on a sunny day?

This does, 14kw of panels and circa 45kWh of battery storage.

It interesting how well the system performs even with shading (no optimisers), hoping mine performs well also, although I'll only have 9kw of panels.

Oops, left the link out, now added.

Last edited:
So received another virtual quote lol its not my roof!!! and totally ignored my email with all the info on, including what mfg inverter and battery I wanted. Even gave them 3 little words.
Would you believe it!!! the 2nd quote again not my roof lol but they are getting closer

Hi everyone, I am starting to look into installing a 20 panel PV array on a south facing roof. It is not shaded. I'd like to spec a large enough inverter to ensure we don't draw from the grid during the peak period, and instead use battery power (I'm thinking 10kwh battery). I'm also really keen to get an EV charger and ensure all metrics / data are stored. I did look at GivEnergy, but their inverter isn't big enough.

We're based in the North East, so would be especially keen to hear of any recommendations for installers, national, or local.

I did look at GivEnergy, but their inverter isn't big enough.

Are you talking power in or power out? If you are wanting a 20 panel system, then you'll be looking at 7-8kWp depending on the exact panels used, and the largest dedicated single phase PV inverter you can get is ~8kW, although there are hybrid ones which are larger, the Sunsynk is 8.8kWp PV, and 8800VA AC output, they are ~£1,800

Are you talking power in or power out? If you are wanting a 20 panel system, then you'll be looking at 7-8kWp depending on the exact panels used, and the largest dedicated single phase PV inverter you can get is ~8kW, although there are hybrid ones which are larger, the Sunsynk is 8.8kWp PV, and 8800VA AC output, they are ~£1,800
Specifically, in the case of the GivHY-5.0, it can input 6500W from DC, but output only output 3600W via the battery (with a maximum of 5000W if the PV panels are generating).

I haven't heard of Sunsynk - thank you - I'll check them out

Can you not get 2 inverters and split the array onto 2 strings one on each inverter?

Last edited:
Currently showing 154KWh generated for the month, so that seems reasonably good, 1.29KWh yesterday which is the worst day so far I think (I have one day showing as 0.38 but I believe that was due to my internet being down for most of the day).

The good news about yesterday is that Octopus are doing another Saver Session today and conveniently I cooked tea yesterday using grid energy at just the right time! Though would rather be on Economy 7, been over 3 weeks since I asked to switch and still not happened, may need to get in touch.

They don't seem keen to move people onto eco7. I know a few people who are waiting. Not sure why though.

Yes on some systems you can parallel inverters, I know GivEnergy don't officially support this, also you would need a battery per inverter if running hybrid and not AC coupled in order to draw load from them both.

I only ask as I have 2 strings and 2 inverters. But single phase only. I have a solis and give energy inverter so just wondered if that was a bit less standard or not.

Back
Top Bottom