Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

With these battery systems, does the battery and inverter need to be very close to the incoming house supply and meter? Most installation diagrams Ive looked at seem to want a CT clamp around the incoming supply jsut before/after the meter. Our incoming supply/meter box is on the rear wall of our house, and then solar panels and battery/inverter would be in our garage, about 10m away. Is this going to be a big problem, or are the CT clamps connected to wireless transmitters that would send a signal that far, or do they need to be hard wired?

This is a question I have also. Solar inverter up on the top floor, fuse board down on the bottom. Not sure if it needs to go with the current inverter or close to the power in / fuseboard.

With these battery systems, does the battery and inverter need to be very close to the incoming house supply and meter? Most installation diagrams Ive looked at seem to want a CT clamp around the incoming supply jsut before/after the meter. Our incoming supply/meter box is on the rear wall of our house, and then solar panels and battery/inverter would be in our garage, about 10m away. Is this going to be a big problem, or are the CT clamps connected to wireless transmitters that would send a signal that far, or do they need to be hard wired?

GivEnergy uses a wireless one as an option, all my kit is close together though so makes no odds for me.

What my 2kW solar generated in 9 months :D

T9biaoJ.jpg

Tempted to see if it's worth adding /replacing a panel or two for higher output. I know it would invalidate my FIT but if i'm getting a battery I may need more than a 2kW system to make the most out of the sun. Existing inverter is good up to 2.4kW but sure it never gets pressed that hard.

Last edited:
GivEnergy uses a wireless one as an option, all my kit is close together though so makes no odds for me.

Did you get a chance to take any photos of your battery/install in the end? Going to try to size up if I can get my batteries in the understairs cupboard rather than outside, will save on cabling and mean don't have to trunk some cables through the conservatory.

Did you get a chance to take any photos of your battery/install in the end? Going to try to size up if I can get my batteries in the understairs cupboard rather than outside, will save on cabling and mean don't have to trunk some cables through the conservatory.

No not yet, the entire garage is still filled with crap, and I hope it gets moved soon as I need to get the inverter swapped out. Trades people cancelling and re-organising is making my life a difficult, first world problems but I'd also like to get my mountain bike out, and I've missed most of the nice weather now. :(

I could do with a new garage door as well, as mine is an old up-and-over jobbie, and it is beyond poop, but it is been on the house since new.

HAHA, yeah I can't wait to get our rooms back when I get the insulation done! Measured up this morning and I think there is plenty of space to get the batteries under the stairs!

HAHA, yeah I can't wait to get our rooms back when I get the insulation done! Measured up this morning and I think there is plenty of space to get the batteries under the stairs!

I'm not joking it is literally packed floor to ceiling, its a death trap trying to get in and out of it, and it looks like I am not going to b getting my work done now until May, and my new inverter might need to be put in before then. I hope we have some good weather, if not I am going to have to hire a storage unit, and a van and move everything for a couple of months.

Question again - Givenergy inverters.

You have the AC inverter (just takes from AC to charge battery)
You have the Hybrid inverter (takes from both battery and solar PV)

I already have an inverter installed as part of my 2kW solar install but it only goes up to 2.4kW. If I need an inverter anyway with GivEnergy am I best off getting a Hybrid one up to 5kw so that if I upgrade my panels in the future I have a lot more headroom? Even though this may be capped at 3.6kW so permission from distributor not needed? Especially as the cost difference between an AC inverter (3kW)a and Hybrid 5kW is about £300 - although I admit more labour would be be required.

Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

You could upgrade your inverter, that is always a sensible option if you going to upgrade the panel in future and buying a battery anyhow.

I think so, may as well upgrade a few key components now rather than more work later. My inverter is 2.4kWh max atm which is a bit low, as is my whole setup (2Kw). Could be an easy upgrade in the future as long as the inverter has the capability.

I think so, may as well upgrade a few key components now rather than more work later. My inverter is 2.4kWh max atm which is a bit low, as is my whole setup (2Kw). Could be an easy upgrade in the future as long as the inverter has the capability.

Yep, might be worth doing the 5kW option, even if it means having a G99 done for the DNO. Do you have plenty of spare space for more panels?

Some general quotes from a tesla motor club forum:

---------------
For reference I’ve recently had:
20 x 330 Black Panels (with in roof trays)
1 x GivEnergy 5kWh Hybrid Inverter
2. GivEnergy 8.2kWh batteries

Total installed price £12,917
---------------

Mine was for 12 x 400w panels, flat roof supports, 5kW inverter and 2 x 8.2kW batteries,
£11.5k

---------------

Is that measuring for the presumably larger 9kW batteries when they are finally available later this year?

---------------

---------------

Mine was for 12 x 400w panels, flat roof supports, 5kW inverter and 2 x 8.2kW batteries,
£11.5k

---------------

Any ideas on the providers?

We had our previous install done by https://www.tlgec.co.uk/ back December 2015, just spoken to them, and they said about 4 weeks to get back to us, and 7 to 8 months install time :eek:

I'm pretty sure the electrician (https://www.totalelec.co.uk/) we use at work is already an approved Givenery installer - been on holiday this week, so will check on Monday and if so speak to them. This may be the preferred option, as I can do all of the install work myself apart from the electrical work, which will hopefully speed up the install and keep costs down.

I'd ideally want a system that can pretty much work out for itself when to charge from the grid on cheap off peak electricity, so I think that limits us to Tesla or the Givenery, are there any others, which are straightforward?

Can anyone recommend any other firms in the Kent/south east area (we're in Thanet) please?

---------------

---------------

£11.5k

---------------
Any ideas on the providers?

That bottom quote was my best original, I've upped it to 18 panels and 2 gen2 inverters, 2 9.5kW batteries and optimisers and just placed the order.

Back
Top Bottom