Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I used to use Loop until my smart meters packed up, there is also Hugo.

I'd prefarably like one that also shows export as well, do any do that (Loop didn't)?
Theres not an app available yet that does export, as the smart meters keeps the data, but its unable to show it in the ihd……its a big miss from the tech companies of not adding export to the smart meters

Last edited:
I have 3 apps on my phone, Loop, Hugo and Bright. Since the data outage at the end of Feb the only app to manage to get back to normal has been Bright. Also bright make your data available for download as a csv file.
Loop has gas but still no Electric data and Hugo is the same.
After my meters being changed on 1st March I still have no IHD data.

I'm also using Bright. Mainly as you can also integrate it into Home Assistant using its API (there is a HAC integration for it). 30 Minute interval data for Electricity and Gas, which is much better than the day behind Octopus App.
If you want closer to real time data then you could get a Hildebrand Glow IHD and use MQTT to get the data. I think that would also allow you to grab the export data.

Last edited:
Ive just signed up to the bright app.....at least i can get 30 minute data for energy use, because at the moment since we had a long power cut back in february my IHD has never been able to connect to the smart meters and no one can tell me why. even though they have been trying since 15th February

Hugo is also 24hrs old versus Bright which is up to last 30 mins. It was super flaky the last 2 weeks for me, tho.
I've been having loads of data problems. There have been issues recently with the data network. Hugo been mentioning it on their twitter feed.

DCC Press Release
bagdad-bob.gif

"There are no issues with the Smart Meter Network".

Last edited:
How do these IHD apps work? How do they connect to the smart meter in the first place?

I ask because our actual IHD is a bit of a pain. The meters are on the far side of the garage, so the only place I can even put the IHD for it to connect to them is on a windowsill in a room at the front of the house that we don't use a lot. So it's not what you'd call on display.

Do the app based ones actually get the readings from your supplier, rather than direct from the meter?

How do these IHD apps work? How do they connect to the smart meter in the first place?

I ask because our actual IHD is a bit of a pain. The meters are on the far side of the garage, so the only place I can even put the IHD for it to connect to them is on a windowsill in a room at the front of the house that we don't use a lot. So it's not what you'd call on display.

Do the app based ones actually get the readings from your supplier, rather than direct from the meter?
Bright get it from the meter, as i signed up to them this morning and they asked for meter and IHD details......once i added that info, they instantly had my meter and account details and are updating my data as we speak

All the apps get it from the smart meter data network supplier, not directly from your meter. The gas meter sends the data to the electric meter, the electric meter then sends all data to the network. My gas meter readings became very unreliable when the meter was moved outside, hopefully the new meter has better signal strength.

Back
Top Bottom