Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I am torn between a few solar panels, inverters, and storage batteries. I tried looking through quite a few threads if anyone has covered the topic but here are the choices i have but every installer comes with different jargons :
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Solar Panels: Canadian Solar CS6R 410 Watts
Inverter: Sunsync Hybrid 8 KW
Battery Storage: Sunsync 5.2 Kw
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Solar Panels: Perlight Delta 415W (1617 x 1140 x 30 mm) 30 years material and lenear power warranty - 21.2% efficiency
Inverter: G2 GivEnergy 5kW hybrid inverter
Battery Storage: Gen2 GivEnergy 9.5kWh LiFePO4 Battery

Advantage: GiveEnergy connects to Octopus energy well but the
Disadvantage: GiveEnergy storage battery voltage is 51 volts which is low for charging and discharging to the grid
Solar Panels: Sharp 400 Watts
Solar Panels: Renesola 400 Watts
Inverter: Hypontech Hybrid 6kw
Battery Storage: Soluna Battery

Solar Panels: Leapton 400 Watts
Inverter: Fox Inverter
Battery Storage: Fox Battery

I am torn between a few solar panels, inverters, and storage batteries. I tried looking through quite a few threads if anyone has covered the topic but here are the choices i have but every installer comes with different jargons :
Solar Panels: Canadian Solar CS6R 410 Watts
Solar Panels: Perlight Delta 415W (1617 x 1140 x 30 mm) 30 years material and lenear power warranty - 21.2% efficiency
Inverter: G2 GivEnergy 5kW hybrid inverter
Battery Storage: Gen2 GivEnergy 9.5kWh LiFePO4 Battery

Advantage: GiveEnergy connects to Octopus energy well but the
Disadvantage: GiveEnergy storage battery voltage is 51 volts which is low for charging and discharging to the grid
Solar Panels: Sharp 400 Watts
Solar Panels: Renesola 400 Watts
Inverter: Hypontech Hybrid 6kw
Battery Storage: Soluna Battery

Solar Panels: Leapton 400 Watts
Inverter: Fox Inverter
Battery Storage: Fox Battery
https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels/best-solar-panels.. i'm thinking the same so many to choose from ..

So the rest of my install has been cancelled today, no panels going up, G99 application has expired apparently - Nobody contacted me, I had to call them to find out why, E.ON are really in a mess right now. So I have scaffolding that's got to come down and be put back up in ~40days. At then end of this fiasco I'll have used up 7 days of my holiday allowance for 2023.

So done some research, last part is the worrying part :

Connection offers are valid for 90 days after which they automatically expire.
There are circumstances we may enable a single extension to the validity of the acceptance for a further 90 day period, provided there is no detrimental impact to other customers in the connection queue. To request an extension the Customer must submit a request, in writing, no more than 10days prior to the original connection offer validity expiry date. Upon receipt, we will confirm the revised expiry date or issue a letter outlining the reasons for refusal of the request.
We may withdraw a connection offer if the project is not progressing at a reasonable rate.

Last edited:
Givenergy rates are actually limited by the inverter. 2.6kW for G1 hybrid, and 3.6kW for G2 (there is talk of an update coming to increase the G2 one a bit).

Both of these are fine for most folk, though admittedly G1 is a little weak, and it's one of my only gripes.

So the rest of my install has been cancelled today, no panels going up, G99 application has expired apparently - Nobody contacted me, I had to call them to find out why, E.ON are really in a mess right now. So I have scaffolding that's got to come down and be put back up in ~40days. At then end of this fiasco I'll have used up 7 days of my holiday allowance for 2023.

So done some research, last part is the worrying part :

There are circumstances we may enable a single extension to the validity of the acceptance for a further 90 day period, provided there is no detrimental impact to other customers in the connection queue. To request an extension the Customer must submit a request, in writing, no more than 10days prior to the original connection offer validity expiry date. Upon receipt, we will confirm the revised expiry date or issue a letter outlining the reasons for refusal of the request.
We may withdraw a connection offer if the project is not progressing at a reasonable rate.

Put in a complaint and ask for a reduction to match your value of you holiday.
They will probably say no but push for a while and you may secure some discount.

Twitter is probably a good place to start.

Which DNO is it?

I'm with UKPN and got 6 months to 'accept' the 'acceptance', I nearly missed the fact that I had to accept it, and accepted it on the final day, then I had 12 months to install the system, once commissioned its 30 days to notify them.

Yes, I was pondering whether we jointly build an official OCUK excel model that could cover all the common questions that constantly come up in this space, eg:

- Octopus Flux vs Go vs Agile vs etc
- Best battery/inverter split
- Best Ron-ski excuse generator for why he's lower than Katie....

Still worth a poke around above!

Does anyone see their solar PV generate much more than the system rating? I've a 5.3Kw system (Canadian solar 415W panels x 13 ) currently producing 5.4Kw (Fair enough, lunchtime, no shade SSE facing ) On Tuesday at 10am the growatt app shows it as producing 6.12Kw dropping to 5.45 by 10:35, not the sunniest day but wondering if this is normal.

End of week 5 Feb 16 - Mar 23rd , 395Kwh produced from a 5.3Kw system in Fife, boosted by a few 20Kw+ days, lowered by more than a few <2kw days. I'm pretty happy so far ( Currently hoping EST get their finger out and pay for it before my credit card bill is due :D )

Does anyone see their solar PV generate much more than the system rating? I've a 5.3Kw system (Canadian solar 415W panels x 13 ) currently producing 5.4Kw (Fair enough, lunchtime, no shade SSE facing ) On Tuesday at 10am the growatt app shows it as producing 6.12Kw dropping to 5.45 by 10:35, not the sunniest day but wondering if this is normal.

End of week 5 Feb 16 - Mar 23rd , 395Kwh produced from a 5.3Kw system in Fife, boosted by a few 20Kw+ days, lowered by more than a few <2kw days. I'm pretty happy so far ( Currently hoping EST get their finger out and pay for it before my credit card bill is due :D )

There's going to be some error margins and tolerances in all panels and inverters, that said that's over 10% difference but it's probably just temporary peaks.

Just be happy that your system is functioning well! :D

Back
Top Bottom