Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I have a new quote at £9395

13x JA panels JAM54S31
Sunsynk 5kW inverter
Sunsynk-5K-SG01/03LP1
Sunsynk 5.12kWh

Anyone have any experience with these sunsynk products?

So 5kw inverter and 5.12kw battery.

Seems a reasonable price.

To be honest even the good makes the most likely to fail component is the inverter.

Is 5.1kwh battery good for you? Its not a lot especially in the winter but if your a low user its probably enough to be around the sweetspot.
When I played with modelling I found that 60-70% or so of your average daily usage was a good fit as once above that the times when you benefit from the extra capacity dwindles down. Its hard to model well though with lots of variable factors.

I have a new quote at £9395

13x JA panels JAM54S31
Sunsynk 5kW inverter
Sunsynk-5K-SG01/03LP1
Sunsynk 5.12kWh

Anyone have any experience with these sunsynk products?
Sunsyk make decent kit.

What's your daily usage? You really need to cover your entire daily winter usage using the battery. It can be charged up overnight using a cheap rate.

Best to take your higher daily usage, multiply by 1.2x to get the batttery size you need (some batteries only go to 80% DOD).

Last edited:
I can ask about 2 batteries but first I've asked for their MCS number as I couldn't see it on the proposal
A lot of firms aren't signed up to MCS as it's just a con these days, but unfortunately the likes of Octopus insist on it if you want to get paid for exports. There is another certification system call Flexi-orb, but Octopus don't accept that. You don't actually need either to install solar and connect to the grid.

A lot of firms aren't signed up to MCS as it's just a con these days, but unfortunately the likes of Octopus insist on it if you want to get paid for exports. There is another certification system call Flexi-orb, but Octopus don't accept that. You don't actually need either to install solar and connect to the grid.

Yes I agree this seems like a ransom thing, either be MCS certified or people are less likely to use you, because you can't export to grid and get paid without it.

Sadly this is likely to be a requirement for most suppliers, though I think they should instead run off if the DNO are happy to sign off the export instead. if DNO are happy, Octopus should be.

They have a pending application it seems, so I guess waiting to get certified is costing them customers.
That is a bargain. Who is that with?

They have to be competitive until they become a big name :cry:

They have a pending application it seems, so I guess waiting to get certified is costing them customers
Only the customers which are aware of the implications of not having it. My electrician told me last year, August IIRC that he was doing the MCS course, but he still hasn't completed it, although is supposed to be, one reason he gave is he's just too busy to spare the time. It's only recently that getting paid for exporting is beginning worthwhile, so a lot of people weren't too bothered about it.

It also appears that it's very rare that MCS will audit work, as long as they get their membership fees that appears to be all that they are interested in.

Last edited:
If your chosen SEG supplier is not offering export without MCS then challenge it and contact Ofgem, as long as you have the relevant safety signoff and DNO paperwork then they can't deny you without a very good reason.

I'm having a nightmare trying to get a battery system installed. Been trying since September last year. First, I waited months on the installer getting the equipment, then they bumped the price up by £1300. So I cancelled them and found another supplier who supplied me with a quote I was happy with. They did all the DNO paperwork for the G99. That process started in January and was approved a week or two ago and now they are ghosting me. Do none of these folk want work?!

So I'm now on the hunt again for an installer for a GivEnergy battery system.

Back
Top Bottom