Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Finally should be getting my solar+battery installed this week after the dno taking over 3 months to approve my g99. We are currently on Octpus standard variable - which tariff should I ask to move onto once my solar is up and running?

10.5kwh solar + 10kwh battery all solaredge.

daily usage is about 22kwh

I think to keep things simple I will just try the standard 15p export tariff. Do I just need to call Octopus once our array is up and running?

I think to keep things simple I will just try the standard 15p export tariff. Do I just need to call Octopus once our array is up and running?
I'm guessing no EV? I'm just about to ( end of the month approx) come off Octopus Flux - as long as the rates remain relatively favourable, this might be suitable for you from April to October.
If you do have an EV, then if your car or charger is compatible, intelligent for the Winter period.
Not familiar with the other ones though.

Yeah I was going to say go if your usage is quite high, certainly for the winter!

If your willing to tinker then agile may be ok for cheap charging, but its risky

Worth considering tracker, or eco 7 if you cannot get intelligent, or go

10.5kw array you should be in order of 350-500kw in Nov, 200-300kw in Dec, 300-400 in Jan, 400-500 in Feb those sorts of number i would expect

Yep no EV. Trouble with this Flex type products is educating the family to stop using power heavy things in peak time.

You wont make it through the day on battery with a 10kw and 22kwh of usage, flux you'lll get punished in the 4-7pm window and same with agile, you can set it up to hold back battery to last through these periods though. However you really needed to double your battery size to take full advantage with that usage. Since going to agile my average import price is 5.2p but my battery can last me all day pretty much.

You can plan around it but it does take behavioural change. You also need to ensure the battery is charged before peak usage and can actually provide the necessary power to ensure you're not drawing from the grid.

I think what's important to consider is are you trying to reduce your grid usage or be totally independent. For me the latter was never going to be a possibility with a family, but reducing usage was the big draw. My DD has reduced significantly, and although I'm earning a little from export it just helps create a buffer for the winter.

For me at least it was never about turning a profit but reducing monthly outgoings which to me are more important. I'm not even that bothered about the ROI, but I realise I'm in the minority here.

So is the standard 15p export tariff my best option?

For the approx 6 months for winter (Oct-Mar) you really want to minimise incoming costs, your not going to export much with your system vs consumption
The summer months, April - Sept approx you may be better off maximising export
You need to know if you can easily set a sensible position in regards flux export, some systems are easier and/or more customisable than others, including if you want to dip into HA

You really need a simple model so you can work out costs for the winter period and summer periods by month.
A lot is simple luck in regards generation, and such so there is no perfect position to take
Everyone is different so its pretty much impossible to say the best tariff is this, best export is that

You can plan around it but it does take behavioural change. You also need to ensure the battery is charged before peak usage and can actually provide the necessary power to ensure you're not drawing from the grid
One of the reasons I went with such a big system, Charging, and peak discharging is all automated, and we can carry on as normal without thinking about what we are using, if it's pitch black outside we can draw 8kW.as long as the batteries still have charge and not draw any from the grid, actually we the inverter can peak far higher than 8.

I'm also not bothered about ROI, I'm sure it will one day, but I don't even know the total cost, and working out what we saving isn't straightforward, but our gas and electric bills have been negative since we went on Flux in April, and we also have the Fits payment's from the original system as well.

For the approx 6 months for winter (Oct-Mar) you really want to minimise incoming costs, your not going to export much with your system vs consumption
The summer months, April - Sept approx you may be better off maximising export
You need to know if you can easily set a sensible position in regards flux export, some systems are easier and/or more customisable than others, including if you want to dip into HA

You really need a simple model so you can work out costs for the winter period and summer periods by month.
A lot is simple luck in regards generation, and such so there is no perfect position to take
Everyone is different so its pretty much impossible to say the best tariff is this, best export is that
Ok, for the coming winter do I just need to call Octopus and tell them I have solar so they can enable export on my account? I'm currently on the octopus standard.

Ok, for the coming winter do I just need to call Octopus and tell them I have solar so they can enable export on my account? I'm currently on the octopus standard.

Yeah, there is a form you need to complete including some data like MCS.
It gets you export enabled and then you can switch like you would with incoming supply.
They were looking to scrap the MCS part though so you may not need that bit.

You can do it all online, you'll need your MCS number and DNO confirmation both of which the installer should supply you, then you can apply.

Back
Top Bottom