Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Guess what today is?

Yep you guessed it, battery replacement day. Again.

I am receiving I believe my 10th and 11th batteries today to replace 2 identified as faulty. Hmm.
I think I am also getting a replacement inverter however. Thats quite nice if so as thats the only part of my system that hasn't been refreshed within the last 3 months or so!

Guess what today is?

Yep you guessed it, battery replacement day. Again.

I am receiving I believe my 10th and 11th batteries today to replace 2 identified as faulty. Hmm.
I think I am also getting a replacement inverter however. Thats quite nice if so as thats the only part of my system that hasn't been refreshed within the last 3 months or so!

That's quite crap luck.

What brand of battery?

Doesn't that make you think there's a design problem, if 9 have been faulty.

Yes thats 100% my take and I have said so before to them.
Well either a design issue or a component issue. Say the cells are not top quality or the BMS software isn't upto the task having been swapped out for a cheaper version or something.

I asked for but could not get any proof of them being "fully tested". They always seem to revert to a partial charging curve and my suspicion is this is their testing. Dump a fixed amoutn of energy to the batteries. Say 600w. If they see a SOC matcing expected then it passes.
They are normally supplied around the 40-45% SOC point.
Thing is as I have proven the charge curve and % SOC impact can vary depending on what % it starts at.

I have warned them that I am imminently going to go to RECC and will at the same time advise trading standards that I believe the product is not fit for sale and based on misleading stats.

What frustrates the hell out of me is that Solax or the installer could individually test each battery. Empty, fully charge, empty again and see the amount of energy required to charge and then amount discharged.
I cannot do this.
Well maybe I could, but I really don't want to start messing about with the batteries as I would suspect they would immediately say I had done something.
Solax did request I did this, but I queried this with the installer who didn't think it was a good idea.

That's quite crap luck.

What brand of battery?

Solax.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior that's crap.

Keep everything documented in case you have to take them to a small claims court.

Honestly I have so many emails quoting misleading or simply incorrect data its silly.

I really just want a system that performs remotely like I purchased based on the published stats.
Its 12.3kWh of storage. Its quoted as 11 (or occasionally 11.1 usable), in real world its around 9-9.5. Winter, spring, summer, always the same kind of range.

I ideally do not want to go to court as its going to rely on a judge to understand the data and who they are misrepresenting.

If (and I fully expect this to happen) the situation is not fixed then I will be reporting to RECC. But the risk is they say they send the "technical" to MCS for comment. We know from many accounts that MCS are a bit of a joke.
Like many trade bodies their main role is increasing their own income, then protecting those that give them the income, then the consumer.

If I do go the RECC route and MCS side with the supplier it makes it harder still to convince a judge as the "experts" will be already saying its fine.

Honestly I have so many emails quoting misleading or simply incorrect data its silly.

I really just want a system that performs remotely like I purchased based on the published stats.
Its 12.3kWh of storage. Its quoted as 11 (or occasionally 11.1 usable), in real world its around 9-9.5. Winter, spring, summer, always the same kind of range.

I ideally do not want to go to court as its going to rely on a judge to understand the data and who they are misrepresenting.

If (and I fully expect this to happen) the situation is not fixed then I will be reporting to RECC. But the risk is they say they send the "technical" to MCS for comment. We know from many accounts that MCS are a bit of a joke.
Like many trade bodies their main role is increasing their own income, then protecting those that give them the income, then the consumer.

If I do go the RECC route and MCS side with the supplier it makes it harder still to convince a judge as the "experts" will be already saying its fine.

Youd want to get in an independent expert or firm in to provide a report.

If you can find anyone willing to do that and it backs up what you are saying that'll be all you would need.

Youd want to get in an independent expert or firm in to provide a report.

If you can find anyone willing to do that and it backs up what you are saying that'll be all you would need.

Yeah I remember ronski linked a company on here once that might fit the bill.

Next time I am on site I am going to discuss with my works electrical manager.
I believe the way you would normally test battery capacity is to set a fixed known draw. Say 100w and leave it to draw that constantly and then time x current will give you kwh.
I dont think however thats easy to do with these since you dont want to fully drain them, so you need to attach the BMS, and its difficult to control the BMS. (for mine BMS is a standalone unit)

I can show plenty of screenshots of their own portal showing :
1) repeatedly charging at 5.5kw the batteries charge for around 1hr 40 mins before dramatically cutting the power and stopping by around 1hr 50 mins. So drawing 9.0-9.4 or so kwh
The absolute minimum time needed to add 11kwh at 5.5kw is 2 hours. No ifs, no buts. And thats ignoring conversion loss!
2) repeatedly (but less often) a full discharge from 100% to 10% with no solar and similar numbers, will be more like 8.5-9kwh since you get conversion losses as well.

For 1 I can supply Octopus 30 minute data that semi supports this. Its more difficult since I have baseload as well of course in that time, and typically I use my dishwasher in that time period as well. Since its my cheapo elec period.
In summer I don't bother, but in winter DW goes on around the same time batteries charge.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior I think you have three batteries, perhaps they should add a fourth FOC, that way you will exceed the capacity you paid for.

I've got 4 unfortunately which is the max per BMS.
If it was as easy as adding another I would be negotiating hard on that.

They are notional 3.1kwh, but in 4 battery config they round to 12.3kwh

You may be thinking of my original quote which was 2x 5.8s and I was thinking of going to a 3rd

Its this setup, the 12.0

That's a shame.

yeah

The do some new 5kwh ones as well. Which gives 13.5 usebel with 3. Although I do not know for certain they are compatible with the rest of my system.

The only ones with the built in heating are the HV3 though which tbh is damn handy. I was told by tech support in the end that the target temp is 10C.
So when switched on it would heat to try to get to that temp.

I am going to refix and rebuild fully the cover this weekend. Since nights are cooling now, and sun is pretty weak I am sure they can handle the extra insulation.

I'm with Ron, I would be looking for compensation for the underperforming batteries perhaps by changing them out for the 5kWh ones and try to swing for a 4th one too.

The main issue with any battery model change is that the HV3 have integral heating. Which is quite unique and damn handy since mine are outside.
They also need to be compatible with my EPS box (mate box advanced), I assume they all are but would need to check.

I am tempted to query the option to change with them should the next set not fix the issue.
I have said I have lost confidence now in this model.
My suspicion has been all along something is wrong, some software settings in the BMS, the quality of the BMS, the quality of the battery cells etc.
I don't believe most users would be on the ball enough to notice. If you contact Solax they will almost certainly tell you everything is fine.

how do you know when you need a load balancer ?

company 1 has quoted for 4 x load balancers for the 4 individual panels that would be on the garage roof.

company 2 has said, they will be wired as 2 strings (some panels on house roof, some on garage roof) so a load balancer is not required.

So I enquired about getting another 8 in roof panels installed on the back of my house.

This must either be a mistake or they just don't want the work..

GSE Removal and Disposal of Existing Roof Tiles £5,461.54
GSE Design and Install £5,461.54
MCS Certifcate £36.00
Structural Survey Certifcate (Free of Charge) £0.00
Ideal Fixed Scaffolding £570.00
Electrical Installation Certifcate £0.00
Independent Warranty - 10 Years £112.00
WIFI Monitoring (Free of Charge) £0.00
WIFI Monitoring Not Included In Workmanship Guarantee £0.00
Total services cost £11,641.08

Just to note that isn't including the £2k of materials

Last edited: