Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
Yep, thank you all for my FITS payments,, the system paid for itself a couple of years ago, got just over 11 years to go.
Your welcome!

Genuine Q, are FITs payments part of the ‘green levys’ which form part standing charge/unit costs or are they centrally funded?

Soldato
Having just googled it, we all pay it through our energy bills, same way we cover bad debt I believe

Last edited:
Soldato
The GivEnergy charger is not currently compatible with IO, however it is awaiting approval by Octopus.

GivEnergy say all the back end work is done, they are just waiting on Octopus to do their bit. You can already control it using the Octopus R&D site.

Hypervolt is basically in the same situation but perhaps slightly behind.

Cheers mate

My supplier came back and said:

Additional 9.5 battery supplied and commissioned + they will supply the give EV charger £3350 as I'm repeat cx etc..

Think I'm going to book this in, it's a no brainer

I'll keep hold of the charger for now and once it's approved with octo intelligent go I'll get my mate to swap out the ohme

Soldato
Cheers mate

My supplier came back and said:

Additional 9.5 battery supplied and commissioned + they will supply the give EV charger £3350 as I'm repeat cx etc..

Think I'm going to book this in, it's a no brainer

I'll keep hold of the charger for now and once it's approved with octo intelligent go I'll get my mate to swap out the ohme
you may need a GE installer to commission it unfortunately. Does the free charger come with installation? If so it may be worth them just installing it and having 2.

Soldato
you may need a GE installer to commission it unfortunately. Does the free charger come with installation? If so it may be worth them just installing it and having 2.

Nope

He's checked & confirmed it can be commissioned by yourself, said its a 10 mins process, connecting to wifi and enabling it in the app, I've just checked a vid on YT and you don't need a giv engineer to do it.

Out of interest, I asked if I can have this installed as a second ev charger, it can but it will need approval or something to have a second charger in your home, and may need a fuse uplift. Too much hassle tbh.

I'll keep it till it is approved on IOG or sell it on.

They can install it for £250, my sparky mate will do it for a 12 pack, like he did with the ohme :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope

He's checked & confirmed it can be commissioned by yourself, said its a 10 mins process, connecting to wifi and enabling it in the app, I've just checked a vid on YT and you don't need a giv engineer to do it.

Out of interest, I asked if I can have this installed as a second ev charger, it can but it will need approval or something to have a second charger in your home, and may need a fuse uplift. Too much hassle tbh.

I'll keep it till it is approved on IOG or sell it on.

They can install it for £250, my sparky mate will do it for a 12 pack, like he did with the ohme :p
Fair enough, that’s good. I was following the logic that all the other GE kit is installer only.

The DNO approval will be no different to when you got your first charger, you just bung in the form and it’s a formality for the most part. It’s really not a big deal at all and they do it for you if they are installing. The GE charger should have a load management functionality via its CT clamp so there shouldn’t be any main fuse issues.

Associate
Added 4 x 455w panels to the garden array today, hard going on the higher one.
Birds already pooped on it!.

Just need the sun now ;).

RL7xNHIh.jpg

Associate
Thoroughly plan your system before you order anything, also make sure that you're battery is connected via a T Class fuse - Victron do a T class Lynx fuse holder now or use stand alone T class fuse holders - mega fuses don't have the AIC rating for LifePo4.
Just been looking into this and it seems from the literature that the T Class Lynx Fuse is M10 only, with the Lynx Shunt only coming in M8 meaning they can't be used together? What would be another way to get the battery monitoring as i do like the T Class. Would i be looking at removing the Lynx Shunt and using something like the SmartShunt's?

Code:
A Lynx distribution system usually consists of a single Lynx Smart BMS module together with a Lynx Class-T Power, Lynx PowerIn or Lynx Distributor. Note that the Lynx Shunt VE.Can is only available with M8 connections and therefore cannot be connecteddirectly to the Lynx Class-T Power, which has M10 connections.

Soldato
@Gammawolf I think they can be made to fit together, think you need to drill out the 8mm holes and also possibly space the shunt off the surface. Have a dig around on the DIY solar forum.

Other option, which is not ideal as it introduces more connections is to make up connector cables to go between the two

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom