Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
I struggle with the logic of the iboosts and similar when you can export at an average of circa 18p kwh (my experience in June) on octopus and buy gas for heating hot water at 7p kwh. So an iboost or Eddi would cost me 11p kwh plus it’s ~£400 cost to get one?!

In winter I’ll be on GO so can only export at 4.1p kwh but I don’t see how an an Eddi would ever pay for itself?

That export rate has long since sailed on by for new installs.
With Gas rates rising to 10p+ kwh an Eddi will pay for itself fairly quickly - should save me about £30-40 per month (at current gas rates) when it's installed in a couple of weeks.

Associate
That's a great price, thought I'd got a good deal - who did you go with in the end?

These are the guys I am using, mostly as they are local.

Could not comment on if I would recommend them yet as the install is not complete (due to battery availability).

Soldato
Sounds like this agile export is a better option than having an Eddi for hot water then. Solar+battery then export the surplus using agile export?

Best look for yourself.

Here the link for the West Mids stats

Lots more to it though, but haven't got time to type right not.

SBo

SBo

Associate
Have any of you found any smart way to save on the standing charge? I’m with Octopus as Agile Outgoing is awesome in the summer (no standing charge for export) but their standard (Flexible Avro) import rate has a 44p/day standing charge and I have been using barely 0.5 kwh/day from the grid.
I am contemplating moving to Agile for import too, the rate hardly drops below 35p kwh so it doesn’t make sense from a rate perspective but the standing charge is only 21p/day so should be worth it.

Or do we just not care about ~23p / day because it’s de minimus?

Associate
Have any of you found any smart way to save on the standing charge? I’m with Octopus as Agile Outgoing is awesome in the summer (no standing charge for export) but their standard (Flexible Avro) import rate has a 44p/day standing charge and I have been using barely 0.5 kwh/day from the grid.
I am contemplating moving to Agile for import too, the rate hardly drops below 35p kwh so it doesn’t make sense from a rate perspective but the standing charge is only 21p/day so should be worth it.

Or do we just not care about ~23p / day because it’s de minimus?

You won’t find much variance in standing charge and it’s so high as it’s coving the cost of failed (so called) energy supplies.

Agile is about as low as it gets. But will probably get replaced soon as I expect come October to see rates of around 40p/kWh +. 35p cap looks too cheep now.

However it has mostly been pinned at max all year.

Soldato
"Crappy town" driving is where the battery part of your car is most efficient.
Doesn’t seem to be the case on a phev that still uses gears. Sitting at a constant 35-50 sees a much nicer 3.x so I’m guessing it’s the design, the added weight of the car being a fully functional ICE too that causes these sort of results.

Soldato
Started dropping off about 16:30 as the sun moved round to the west and is now at about 1.5kwh even though there appears to be no direct line of sight and 36kwh produced overall, so seems like a good day will be 40+ and even a cloudy day 1.5kwh was the minimum load from 08:00 to 11:00 before the sun came out proper.
This is what surprised me.
My solar is generating 1kwh with full cloudy/grey skies. Even when the clouds are dark grey/black it‘s about 0.4 kwh which is still enough to meet the base load of the house.
This time of year we definitely don’t need to charge the battery overnight.

Soldato
Do you think it would be reasonable not to pay a solar installer until they've issued the electrical installation certificate (covering Part P) and registered the warranties?

I'm just a bit concerned about my in laws this guy says it'll be issued in a few weeks once the serial numbers for the parts are registered.

But if they pay and this guy dissapears they have a system in place that if see their house on fire could invalidate their house insurance.

Soldato
This is what surprised me.
My solar is generating 1kwh with full cloudy/grey skies. Even when the clouds are dark grey/black it‘s about 0.4 kwh which is still enough to meet the base load of the house.
This time of year we definitely don’t need to charge the battery overnight.
Seems quite low, ticking along on a full on cloudy day here at 3-4kwh consistently.

Soldato
Question - why is my solar and battery exporting to the grid with this load (I know it’s a small amount)

52190834123_fd8ca60a8e_b.jpg

Soldato
It's Huawei gear, it gets slated for being weird. Look at some of the user reviews.

By the end of the day the overall import from the Grid was hardly noticeable (0.14kWh) so not too worried.

Looks like Huawei have some interesting stuff coming later this year.

- A smart EV car charger which adapts charging based on excess solar (Similar to the Zappi)

52193120015_c7729d52d3_b.jpg

- A smart solar app which can set the storage battery to charge overnight if the weather/light is going to be poor the next day, or not if it's sunny/bright.

52192889794_7aebcd1436_b.jpg

52192889804_00241a5f45_b.jpg

Soldato
Just realised that we did over 0.9MWh of generation in June. :eek:
By the end of the day the overall import from the Grid was hardly noticeable (0.14kWh) so not too worried.

Yes, most of the issues are software related, so not insurmountable by any means, it was very young into the UK market when I got my system, so I didn't put it up near the top of my choices list. Huawei are usually good at getting their kit working well in other sectors so I'd hope they big this up to par sooner rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom