Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
You move onto a fixed rate first whilst they go through the process of connecting to your/install a SMET2 meter - then you move to Go ( source:myself!)

Yes, I mentioned that in one of my posts, they are only taking on new customers with fixed rates.

Not much point me doing it though as Agile isn't that great at least over the winter, and I can't get onto Go without an EV.

Associate
Yes, I mentioned that in one of my posts, they are only taking on new customers with fixed rates.

Not much point me doing it though as Agile isn't that great at least over the winter, and I can't get onto Go without an EV.
Yes, sorry that was aimed more for Ron-ski as he was looking at the Go tariff.
Have you thought about this with Bulb EV, and their terms refer to time shifting and you don't need an EV --also likely to be taken on by Octopus eventually:

Soldato
Yes, sorry that was aimed more for Ron-ski as he was looking at the Go tariff.
Have you thought about this with Bulb EV, and their terms refer to time shifting and you don't need an EV --also likely to be taken on by Octopus eventually:

Seems worth checking, off-peak around 8.5p and peak 35p according to the site, I may have to inquire with them to see if I can get onto it :)

We don't have an EV either.

You will struggle to get onto the Go tariff then, unless you lie to them about having one and they don't check, but so far as I've read, they are requesting proof lately.

Associate
Seems worth checking, off-peak around 8.5p and peak 35p according to the site, I may have to inquire with them to see if I can get onto it :)

You will struggle to get onto the Go tariff then, unless you lie to them about having one and they don't check, but so far as I've read, they are requesting proof lately.
I've got an EV but they didn't ask for proof either.

Soldato
I've got an EV but they didn't ask for proof either.

When did you signup?

it's new sign ups that are the issue at the moment, they may eventually check old ones, but if you're already on it from months ago probably not a priority to check.

You have an EV so you'll be fine, it's riskier for anyone who doesn't have one, and I suspect they'd check all new applications in more detail.

Associate
When did you signup?

it's new sign ups that are the issue at the moment, they may eventually check old ones, but if you're already on it from months ago probably not a priority to check.

You have an EV so you'll be fine, it's riskier for anyone who doesn't have one, and I suspect they'd check all new applications in more detail.
My Go went live 15th June

Soldato
I'm looking at switching to Bulb instead, worst case scenario I wind up on the same cap tariff I have now.

I may indirectly wind up on Octopus if they go ahead and take the Bulb customers like they've talked about, which suits me as well, because Octopus are fairly progressive with smart tariffs, which means I'm more likely to get onto a decent one for my solar install.

After my switch to Bulb completes will see if I can get onto the EV tariff as it doesn't state I need one with them!

My Go went live 15th June

Yep you probably got in before they were really querying it, or your agent didn't check.

I asked them about it and they specifically asked if I had one, so I don't really want to lie about that and say yes if it's not true.

Soldato
After my switch to Bulb completes will see if I can get onto the EV tariff as it doesn't state I need one with them!
How did you switch to Bulb, online or did it require a phone call?

I've got a local electrician coming Thursday, found him through another forum where the guy bought his own gear. The electrician wants to get into PV, so I'm hoping he's flexible.

Just to update on the batteries
My potential installers seem to think its not an issue, they say they install approx 6 systems a week and have no issues (raised) in regards systems not charging. The cover most of east anglia.
So maybe we just haven't had long enough sub zero cold spells to trigger that, or the BMS is useless and allows charging and permanent damage to occur.
Of course also the chance that some customers would have issues but no idea, missed charge days, or degraded performance.

The more expert (in regards batteries) one of the team is out quoting today so they said I should get a response later on today.
I am inclined to take the risk.
If there was a very cold snap, or prolonged period you could always override them and not charge them at all.
Also its possible to go below zero degrees but you have to increase the charge time, above zero for Lithium its 0.2 max, so 20% of the capacity incoming, as the temp drops its down to 0.1 below zero and 0.05 as you approach zero F.
Although so many lithium based techs its hard to know if this specifically applies to the chemistry they use in home batteries.

Oh and FWIW, was reading up about insulating and seems thats actually not that beneficial.
All you can in effect gain is an increase in the time that it takes for them to drop in temp, so a prolonged cold spell of very low temps will mean no insulation would make any diff.
I would probably need to make them a simple cabinet anyway to avoid direct sunlight, which may trap a little heat, and for the minimal cost I would probably semi insulate it, I mean it can't do any harm right.
I can get metal knocked up by the fabricators at work, so maybe a simple metal cabinet with 25mm PIR and a few vents to vent out near the top may be good enough to give some benefit it most scenarios.
First job would probably be to actually measure how cold it can get based on listed outside temps. Its quite sheltered where they would be, so quite feasible its a bit warmer than the headline temps anyway.

Soldato
Oh and FWIW, was reading up about insulating and seems thats actually not that beneficial.
All you can in effect gain is an increase in the time that it takes for them to drop in temp, so a prolonged cold spell of very low temps will mean no insulation would make any diff.
I would probably need to make them a simple cabinet anyway to avoid direct sunlight, which may trap a little heat, and for the minimal cost I would probably semi insulate it, I mean it can't do any harm right.
If the heat loss is greater than the heat being generated, then there will be no gain, hence why heat pads are fitted, controlled by the BMS or a thermostat.

Back
Top Bottom